Author Topic: Alesis 12" DM-10 Hi-Hat Cymbal  (Read 857 times)

Alesis 12" DM-10 Hi-Hat Cymbal
« on: September 10, 2020, 02:46:24 PM »
I am brand new to ekits and I have ran into something that I do not quite understand with the DM-10 dual zone hi-hat cymbal. For some reason it will only trigger the bow. I ruled out the cable being the issue by sticking a dual zone cymbal on it, and I can trigger both the bow and the edge. I am using a DM10 MKII Pro module. I've done some research on this, but I am not having any luck finding anything relatable for this exact pad.

I did take the cymbal apart to see if there was anything noticeable with the wiring, but it all looks secure.

The closest result that I've gotten from any search was a post on this forum by Hellfire:

"The DM10's hi-hat control pedal is only programed to control the one zone, the bow. Your edge zone would be a fixed zone just like any other drum trigger on the kit. I hope that helps."

I don't think this is really what I am describing though.

I think there is either something that I do not understand, or I have a bad pad.

Any insight would be much appreciated, I've been driving myself nuts with this.

Offline Chaser

Re: Alesis 12" DM-10 Hi-Hat Cymbal
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2020, 05:04:01 PM »
I am brand new to ekits and I have ran into something that I do not quite understand with the DM-10 dual zone hi-hat cymbal. For some reason it will only trigger the bow. I ruled out the cable being the issue by sticking a dual zone cymbal on it, and I can trigger both the bow and the edge. I am using a DM10 MKII Pro module. I've done some research on this, but I am not having any luck finding anything relatable for this exact pad.

I did take the cymbal apart to see if there was anything noticeable with the wiring, but it all looks secure.

The closest result that I've gotten from any search was a post on this forum by Hellfire:

"The DM10's hi-hat control pedal is only programed to control the one zone, the bow. Your edge zone would be a fixed zone just like any other drum trigger on the kit. I hope that helps."

I don't think this is really what I am describing though.

I think there is either something that I do not understand, or I have a bad pad.

Any insight would be much appreciated, I've been driving myself nuts with this.

The only Dual Zone Hi Hat Alesis has produced is the STRIKE Hi Hat.
The DMPad 12" Hi Hat came with quite a few of the early Alesis kits including all the DM10 models.
The DM10 MKII pro kit also comes with the DMPad 12" Hi Hat.

If it is the DMPad 12" labeled "Hi Hat"..it is single zone..

If it is the DMPad 12" labeled "Cymbal"...it is dual zone..
When you took it apart did you notice 2 sets of wires on the jack.. including running to a switch on the edge?
You mentioned you are using the DM10 MKII Pro module..
Do you have the complete DM10 MKII Pro Kit kit or just using the module with another kit ?

One thing you need to be aware of is the date of the topics/posts you are looking at.
If they are prior to 2017 when the DM10 MKII Kits(s) came out,then the topics/posts apply to the Original DM10 module/kits only.
Alesis created a lot of confusion with Multiple DM10 modules...each are completely different.. and most recently with the DM6..

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2020, 06:17:41 PM »
I see.

So I've been fretting about nothing. The guy I bought it from on E-bay listed it wrong with "dual zone" in the title. It is labeled as DMPad 12" labeled "Hi Hat" on the physical cymbal.

There was no wire running to the edge, that should have given me a hint.

I really appreciate you clearing this up for me, and also a special thanks for the additional info. The multiple versions is what made it so hard to just "google".

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 09:40:09 AM »
I'm going through the same issue. Wanted access to that extra hi-hat voice, so I bought another 12" hi-hat from an eBay seller who assured me his was dual zone. It wasn't and he's agreed to give me a full refund and pay for return shipping due to it being his error. As Chaser said, the only way to achieve this is to get a newer 12" cymbal, not a hi-hat. These are getting extremely hard to find and are no longer available in the Alesis store for some reason. In fact, there's very little available in the store and that has me worried that there may be issues beyond supply chain going on that will make sticking with Alesis a bad idea for the future. Already found that their customer service is horrible. >:(