Author Topic: Step Jam  (Read 1847 times)

Online AlanK

Step Jam
« on: March 09, 2016, 02:36:45 PM »
Thought I'd share a couple photos and a video with y'all.. from the weekend when wifey went away and left the stepkids under my supervision.

We got downstairs and did some jamming.. I was on the drums at first, eldest lad on guitar, younger boy on vocals..sometimes the girls come down and sing or try out the keyboard but they stayed upstairs this time. Then I wanted to see/hear what my Alesis sounded like from the other side so the 17 yr old sat in on the drums with his brother on guitar.. the kit looks and sounds great from the couch across from it.. I like how the blue sparkle trim shows up.. you'll also see my other project/love/hobby behind and above the drums.. lights! I was in the tech club in highschool and did stage lighting and audio..mostly lights though so the last few years I started buying cool lighting (we've had some wicked dance parties). I found an old covered swing set in someone's trash, rebuilt it to be a lighting frame that I've bolted to the back wall.

On it I've got up top, a pair of LED washes on the outside top corners (and a pair attached to my drumset frame), a pair of Chauvet Sweepers next in, then a pair of Chauvet Intimidator Scan 100 mirror lights, and a laser in the very middle.. and below there's a pair of Chauvet Intimidator Spot 100 moving heads. On the left wall at the ceiling are a couple of spinning emergency lights, and I've got a Chauvet Hemi mirrorball type emulator on the ceiling that you can't see. Also a fog machine, of course. If I ever move to a larger house with more space and no connected neighbours, I'll be able to have the lads over to really jam out loud and we'll put the lights on like we're a real band..hahaha.. in the meantime, we use it for parties or just for fun.. it's been my hobby before I got into the Alesis set and I still go at it once in a while.. oh, and it's all DMX controlled and I've got an Elation DMX controller to run the chases and scenes.. I'm still working on how to really get some cool patterns going.. in the video you'll se a few different tests...fast, slow, strobing.. and I tried to set a few focal points up like on the drums, the keyboard, the imaginary guitarist, to see what it'd be like if we were Led Zeppelin doing a show in the basement.. pretty fun stuff.. can't tell the wife just how much I've spent on it all, but hey, at least I'm not smoking and drinking my money away or out in bars, or gambling..

Here's a video test, if you're able to access it.. lemme know if the link doesn't work
http://1drv.ms/1YxMPU5
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline bmealer

Re: Step Jam
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 11:31:44 PM »
Wow...that's crazy cool!  Love the light show.  Well done!
Alesis DM10-X, Remo Silent Stroke mesh heads, 682drums cone conversion, Tama Speed Cobra double pedal, Pork Pie Big Boy Drum Throne, Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones, PreSonus AudioBox 22VSL, Studio One Producer, Superior Drummer 2

Online AlanK

Re: Step Jam
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 09:01:26 AM »
Thanks! Last night my wife popped downstairs while I was farting around on the kit and she sat down and then looked up at the ceiling and saw the Hemi starball kinda thing I have bolted up there and was like, "hey, when did we get THAT thing? I never noticed it before"...hahahaha.. gotta sneak 'em in when I can
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers