Author Topic: Our Annual Organizational Holiday Reception  (Read 2011 times)

Offline Th3R00st3r

Our Annual Organizational Holiday Reception
« on: January 06, 2016, 11:56:27 AM »
Every year for the last few years we have played at our organizational reception.
Here's the latest video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I3YyHmtJl4 (the audio is a tad off)

Use the DM10 Studio with AD2. Each song had a different kit from AD2.
DM10 -> USB-> Laptop using Reaper and the AD2 VSTi
Laptop -> USB -> Behringer U-Control UCA222 http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/UCA222 -> Roland Octacapture http://www.rolandus.com/products/octa-capture/

Set list
Rocking Around The Christmas Tree (I didn't have my headphones on so the timing was a bit off as I couldn't hear myself! haha)
Last Christmas
Santa Bring My Baby Back
Jingle Bell Rock
Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas.
th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.

Offline AlanK

Re: Our Annual Organizational Holiday Reception
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 01:54:18 PM »
Great stuff, Ron. That house band rocks it year after year! I only wish your drums came through a bit louder, I wanted to get a good listen to what it sounds like (or maybe it was my crappy earbuds here at work). So what AD2 adpaks were you using? You mention it's a different one for each song. I'm loving my AD2 sounds.. we should compare kits sometime. Have you ever had it crash during a live performance? I don't gig, but I always wonder how nervous I'd be if I was playing live and using an electronic kit and especially throwing in a VST and laptop on top of that.. the possiblities of something going down freak me out.
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 01:10:16 PM »
Yeah, the drums were a bit quiet in the mix. I'll write down the kits I used after we go down and practice today and let you know.
I am a bit leary about the laptop shutting off in the middle of a set. When I turned it on before playing that particular day, Windows wanted to reboot to install updates so I just postponed it for 4 hours haha. Our guitar player last year had his laptop reboot, but it was right at the beginning of a song and the singer ad-libbed until it restarted.
th3r00st3r-Alesis DM10 Studio w/mesh head conversion (billy blast 2ply) and snare stand.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 02:49:24 PM »
Dang! I took my audio extension cable off and sure enough the sound is excellent! My cable must be screwed, there's a major hollow echo and probably only mono (heard in both ears.. and it WAS a stereo extension cable). Anyways, re-listened and really like the sound of those drums  :D
I've disabled my screen saver/ sleep mode etc when I use Addictive Drums just to make sure it doesn't give me trouble. I've played for hours dozens of times.. all good.. about 3 times in maybe two years, the computer goes into blue screen and reboots, maybe I had too many apps running for this pentium..my DAW isn't a workhorse. When that happens, I'm screwed.. no probs at home just a pain but if I was jamming or doing a show I'd freak out. I'm sure if/when it happens when I jam with the boys they're going to shoot me lol
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 11:45:31 PM »
Sorry for the delay. Here are the kits I used in AD2.

Rockin Around the xmas tree - Metal (Slap Trap)
Last Christmas - Studio Bundle (90's Rock)
Santa Bring My Babt Back - Modern Jazz Brushes(Jazz Brush)
Jibgle Bell Rock - Studio Bundle (90's Rock)
Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas - Indie (Make Up Kit)

Offline AlanK

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2016, 09:20:34 AM »
Thanks for sharing! Is the Studio Bundle the deal where you got 6 Adpaks, 6 midi demos and 6 Addon pieces? Something like that.. anyway, sorry if this is sidetracking the original post, we can take it to another thread..
I found it interesting that other than the 90's Rock kit (I think it's from the Studio Rock adpak), I don't have any of the other 3 paks you use  ???   Here's what I have:

Studio Rock
Studio Pop
Studio Prog
Black Oyster
Blue Oyster
Retroplex
Modern Jazz Sticks
Funk
Black Velvet
Fairfax Vol 1
Fairfax Vol 2

I'm not really into metal and I didn't find the Indie that awesome (a lot of similar kits in the Oyster sets), didn't care for the extra percussion sets or white noisey kits..there are a few already on some of the other paks I have. I love the Black Velvet kits, a lot of the Fairfax kits, the old school whap of the Black & Blue Velvet paks and the Studio paks each have some awesome big sounds.. and when I'm in a jazzy/funky mood, the Funk pak is amazing for grooving down and motown, and the Jazz pak is awesome for when I try to just freestyle and work on my traditional grip chops.

I've also bought a couple of the extra pieces.. snares, kicks.. I only wish they'd come up with add on cymbal and tom pieces you could buy.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 09:22:38 AM by AlanK »

Offline ClaudioCas

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 07:02:04 AM »
Ehi Th3R00st3r,
very great performance!!!
Do you use standard ad2 kit or modify them? May you share your personal kit? They are really great and clean realistic.

Edit: What camera model do you use for recoding? The image is really great.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 11:31:54 AM by ClaudioCas »

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 10:54:21 AM »
AlanK - Yes, you are correct on the studio bundle, unfortunately I don't think they offer it anymore as a bundle.
I do like the Blue Oyster Kits, and the Fairfax kits.

The Modern Jazz Brush kits are interesting. I don't really use it, but just picked it to get an old sound for that Elvis song. - http://www.xlnaudio.com/products/adpak/modern_jazz_brushes

Metal(Slap Trap preset) is from the Metal adpak(http://www.xlnaudio.com/products/adpak/metal). The Slap Trap preset is on the 2nd page.

The Indie Make Up Artist is from the Indie adpak (http://www.xlnaudio.com/products/adpak/indie)

Avery Wolfgang has a few presets for the Metal kit that aren't that "metal" but sound great.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ju3aIlkYiDM (there's a download for the preset on that video). If you check his channel you can find a few other presets as well. He does a pretty good job.

Claudio - I don't really have a personal kit. I use the kit presets as is. If I do anything, I may bring the bass, or snare up a bit and may lower the crash cymbals a little. But that's it.

Offline ClaudioCas

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 04:10:21 AM »
Thanks Th3R00st3r for your reply.
Probably I need to check my sounds with the band and not only when I play solo. The sounds seems to me not great as that sound in your video. Thanks for your reply.
Do you record direct mix out or you grab the single channel of the mixer and do post process?

Offline Th3R00st3r

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 04:05:22 PM »
No Problem ClaudioCas!

When we do a sound check, we do it with someone (we trust) not in the band standing in several different locations where the audience would be. They tell us to bring up the vocals, or turn down the drums etc.. so we get a good mix for the audience.

The Guitar player is the one that renders the recording out and may do slight "mix" adjustment, but nothing special. Mostly just volume adjustments on each players separate tracks.

I am going out stereo to the mixer. I am not sending out separate tracks for each drum\pad.