Author Topic: DM10 settings on trigger and xtalk??  (Read 4221 times)

DM10 settings on trigger and xtalk??
« on: April 16, 2010, 06:04:53 AM »
Hi,
I´v been trying out differnt values and I understand that it might be a matter personal taste which level you set. About 20 on the toms suits me fine, what levels do you use?
And what about xtalk levels?
Any recomendations?

Cheers/Peter

Offline Pier

Re: DM10 settings on trigger and xtalk??
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 06:23:24 AM »
Hi,
while I cannot give you any values for the levels because I actually still don't own a DM10 module, I can anyway speak from past experiences with different Alesis modules.

Try vary the Xtalk values until you get a "decent" result for your needs. I mean: even if a VERY small sound of any near tom is triggered when you hit the tom you wish, it is not so bad - to me.
Every drummer coming from an acoustic kit will tell you that a perfect acoustic isolation does not exist - or it depends heavily on how much you muffle (or "choke") the drums' heads. Also, it depends from different and physically isolated mounts onto which the toms are set.
With acceptable and non-'invasive' small sounds coming from the toms, the whole electronic kit will sound a little more "real".

But this depends totally from your personal tastes of course!
The best thing to do is experiment wildly. Also, if you play in a group and not alone, try to hear how the kit sounds when the whole group is playing at regular volume levels.
You could have some surprises!  ;)

Offline H3RB

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 08:31:14 AM »
i use
15 for snare
20 on all 4 toms
20 on bass
10 on crash 1
10 on crash 2
20 on ride
60 on ride bell (mine is set to switch tho)
threshold is about 3 for most so i can got really soft ghost notes
cross talk was all the way up to 7 but it cause a few issues now cross talk for most is about 3/4 and seems to work great

Online Hellfire

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 09:11:55 AM »
Hi,
while I cannot give you any values for the levels because I actually still don't own a DM10 module, I can anyway speak from past experiences with different Alesis modules.

Try vary the Xtalk values until you get a "decent" result for your needs. I mean: even if a VERY small sound of any near tom is triggered when you hit the tom you wish, it is not so bad - to me.
Every drummer coming from an acoustic kit will tell you that a perfect acoustic isolation does not exist - or it depends heavily on how much you muffle (or "choke") the drums' heads. Also, it depends from different and physically isolated mounts onto which the toms are set.
With acceptable and non-'invasive' small sounds coming from the toms, the whole electronic kit will sound a little more "real".

But this depends totally from your personal tastes of course!
The best thing to do is experiment wildly. Also, if you play in a group and not alone, try to hear how the kit sounds when the whole group is playing at regular volume levels.
You could have some surprises!  ;)
I would have to agree with Pier on the subject of Xtalk. A little bleed over is not necessary bad. All depends on the sound you are looking for. I do have one tip that a user can do to lessen the Xtalk. Stuff the tubes of the drum rack with a dense foam rubber. I have even heard of people using latex spray foam in their rack. Just something to keep in mind if you need some extra isolation.

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 09:54:28 AM »
I'll be using T-Shirts as Guinness suggested..
Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com

Offline Burtmeister

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 05:47:53 PM »
I haven't had any problem with crosstalk myself. I'm not sure if it's the placement of my pads, which doesn't look unusual or the felt padding I put between the bracket and tubing. I forget where I saw that tip, but it was on youtube and it made sense to me so I did it. Basically I just put a small strip of craft felt around the tube, then put the clamp over that. Again, I don't know if it is due to the felt or not, but I can keep most of my crosstalk settings pretty low.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 06:28:11 PM »
I thought about using some Dynamat the same way you used felt.  But I have my xtalk settings from 5 - 7 and all is well.  Not much xtalk, so I haven't gone to the trouble of doing that.  I think adding the t-shirt in the snare tube helped.

Every so often, I'll get tom3 to trigger when I hit the ride...  but it's infrequent, so not a problem. I should probably stuff a t-shirt in that tube.

Offline eugenecp

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 07:28:44 PM »
the felt or dynamat would be able to absorb some of the vibrations first and would help reduce crosstalk.
DM10 Pro Kit, Tama Iron Cobra Jr Double Bass Pedal, Tama 1st Chair HT530E5, Tascam US-122 Audio/MIDI interface