Author Topic: Adding a DMPad 12" Cymbal to the DM6  (Read 4139 times)

Adding a DMPad 12" Cymbal to the DM6
« on: April 09, 2010, 10:16:16 AM »
Hi all. I want to add a second crash trigger to the right side of my DM6 with another DMPad, and I plan on splitting the single crash input with a Y-adapter and plugging both cymbal pads into it. It seems like this should work, but this is my first edrum kit, and there isn't a whole lot of information on the DM6 yet, so I want to make sure I am not overlooking anything. Will this little hack work?

Thanks for any input.

Offline Hellfire

Re: Adding a DMPad 12" Cymbal to the DM6
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 11:36:38 AM »
Hi all. I want to add a second crash trigger to the right side of my DM6 with another DMPad, and I plan on splitting the single crash input with a Y-adapter and plugging both cymbal pads into it. It seems like this should work, but this is my first edrum kit, and there isn't a whole lot of information on the DM6 yet, so I want to make sure I am not overlooking anything. Will this little hack work?

Thanks for any input.
You can do this but you have to keep in mind that if your crash you are splitting is a single zone trigger, both your cymbals will have the same sound. The only way to get different sounds from splitting a port is if that port is a dual zone port (or input). Normally a dual zone input would use a TRS (1/4" instrument stereo cable: Tip, Ring, Sleeve) type cable instead of the TS type (1/4" instrument mono cable: Tip, Sleeve). So your hack will give you two physical cymbals but only one cymbal sound if it is a single zone trigger input. Just something to keep in mind. I hope that helps.

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 12:01:45 PM »
That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks!

I assumed it would be the same sound, and I am fine with that. I mainly just want a crash trigger on that side of the kit. On my acoustic kit, I have two identical crashes, one left and one right, so it works out perfectly.

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 12:03:57 PM by NateX »

Offline Guinness

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 01:07:11 PM »
Doesn't the DM6 have an extra trigger in the wiring harness that you could use for a 2nd crash?  i thought it did.

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 11:25:20 PM »
Nothing I have found indicates that. All of the included plugs are connected, and I don't see that it would be assignable anyway since nothing extra shows up in the menu. The snare is dual-trigger, so I guess I could split that using a stereo to mono y-adapter and lose the rim sound to add something extra there, but that is it as far as I can tell.

I love that the DM6 is so easy to use, but in making it easy to use (and cheap), it lacks a lot of the configurability that I have seen in other kits (cross-talk being the most painfully lacking for me). A couple of additional trigger inputs would have been nice, and barring a limitation of the DM6 electronics or firmware, it would be physically possible using the DB25 connector, since they are using only 20 of 25 pins to connect everything. It's still a great practice kit though, and it tucks away nicely in the corner of my office.  ;D