Author Topic: DM5 has stopped working - Please help!  (Read 4808 times)

DM5 has stopped working - Please help!
« on: March 16, 2010, 08:17:44 AM »
Hi,
Im getting a little stressed at my DM5 kit.
When i hit any of the triggers... The module produces no sound.
However... When im running it through the amp or headset i can listen to the samples with the preview button (although they come out VERY quiet) and the demo can be heard aswell.

I have factory reset the module but this has not resolved the problem..

Can anyone help as i cant seem to find much online about this issue and the manual is no help at all. Also i doubt any local music shops will be able to fix this in my area....

Any help would be much appreciated

Offline Guinness

Re: DM5 has stopped working - Please help!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 11:09:42 AM »
First, welcome to the forum.

Question:  when note chase is on, does the module see the various triggers when you strike them? 

It's been my experience that he preview button produces quiet sounds.  Hitting it harder/quicker will produce a louder sound.  At least that's what I remember.   So, when you hit preview hard, fast, and multiple times, does the sound increase?

So... you are getting the voices (from preview) out to your headphones, correct?

The module is not seeing trigger hits from the pads, correct?

The reset would change sensitivity back to default I think, so I assume sensitivity is ok. 

With the module on, unplug a tom or snare.  Did it trigger during the process of the plug coming out of the jack?  If so, how was the sound level?

You do have your output to main (or headphones) right?  And the volume is turned up, yes?

I'm not sure I have the answer, just trying to clarify and isolate the issue.

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 12:52:49 PM »
Ill have a go at unplugging the triggers when im home and let you know.
When note chase is on the module does not follow any of the triggers as it should.

The module doesnt pick up any trigger hits.
I've tried it both set to output to main and headset. Both have the same issue.
Sound is turned way up.
Im not as fussed about the sound as i am about the fact it doesnt pick up any input.

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 04:44:27 AM »
Pulling out the cable and putting it back in whilst its on doesnt produce any sound either.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 11:58:58 AM »
I assume on reset gain or levels (I forget which... I think it's "gain" on the dm5) were set back to default.  It's probably safe to assume you've messed with the settings enough to make certain it's of the simple things.

Did it just all of a sudden not work, or were you doing something?

How long have you had it?  Buy it new or used?

There are folks on here who are much more of an expert about this sort of stuff than I.  But I'm thinking the module has gone bad.  But again, I don't know nearly as much as others.

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 05:08:15 AM »
I bought it used and it has never worked. So i will prob just complain like a mofo untill they take it back.
Ive twiddled with everything and cant seem to get it working correctly.
I dont know enough about the module to open up and check.
I may have a quik glance inside to make sure its actually recieving input signals.. as i think this may be the problem.

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 05:47:33 AM »
Is there any place that i can send the module for repair at all?

Offline Guinness

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 01:28:05 PM »
I forget... did you buy new or used?  either way, try to return it.  (and get a DM10.  :D )

Have you called Alesis' technical support?  They may be able to help.