Author Topic: alesis pro dm5 + bfd2  (Read 3416 times)

alesis pro dm5 + bfd2
« on: February 22, 2010, 02:02:08 PM »
hi all, i was just wondering if anyone is using the pro dm5 as a midi controller,
i am mainly studio based and was thinking of getting a dm5 kit to control my bfd2 software. at the moment i am using a korg padkontrol and feel that my beats are a little static. i am a fairly good begginer on the drums and wanted to buy a reasonably good electronic kit, but dont want to take a risk on the dm10 or any of the roland offerings.

please feel free to comment, be it good or bad!!!

thanks

Offline ghostman

Re: alesis pro dm5 + bfd2
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2010, 08:18:47 PM »
Have you looked at the USB Pro kit?  it uses the Trigger IO as the interface - and that is geared exactly for what you are doing - triggering external sources.  The Trigger IO comes with BFD 1.5 Lite, which you can scrap since you have BFD2 already.  The trigger IO may just work right out of the box with your BFD, too!  It looks like the drums / cymbals are about the same as the DM5 kit, and you get a better module (more recently updated).  If I were in your shoes, I'd probably look at the USB Pro.

BTW, what is the 'risk' of the DM10 or Roland?
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 12:25:23 PM »
thanks for the reply, the roland or dm10 concerns are about my finance head ruling my daydream head for a change. over the years i have spent good money on great gear, only to sell it on again once i fancied something new!!!!!!

Offline ghostman

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2010, 02:47:38 PM »
thanks for the reply, the roland or dm10 concerns are about my finance head ruling my daydream head for a change. over the years i have spent good money on great gear, only to sell it on again once i fancied something new!!!!!!

That, my friend, is known as 'Gear Acquisition Syndrome' or GAS for short.  We ALL are afflicted with that.  Sometimes, GAS wins, but usually the finances (or spouse) contradicts enough to keep it in control.  Dare to dream, but always let your financial head in on the conversation!

usually, the opposite is true, people buy a low-end kit, and decide it's not enough, and go bigger.

Knowing what you need is key to optimize.  Get what you need, and spend what you considerable reasonable.

For you, I looked at the DM5 pro and the USB pro kits, they seem to be about $100 diff in price - the DM5 being cheaper.  for that extra $100, you get the Trigger IO instead of the DM5, which considering you are already planning to trigger external sounds, the DM5 probably isn't what you want.  I think the IO will be a superior choice as a TMI over the DM5.
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 03:15:03 PM »
thanks again, i am awaiting the release price of the new studio usb kit, have you played any of the kits, if so what do they feel like?

Offline ghostman

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 05:59:02 PM »
I haven't, but hellfire has.  he's got the DM10 pro kit.  The Studio kits have the plastic cymbals, the pro kits have the metal surge cymbals.  go to hellfire.com and see his DM10 review - you'll get an idea of the pads, anyway.

Also, you might want to start a new thread with a question of experiences, maybe that'll spark some folks into discussion.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 11:41:32 PM »
I've played the pads on a DM5 Pro kit (same pads).  And they feel pretty good.  But, they are accoustically loud compared with a mesh pad.