Author Topic: Patch Chains on Strike Module?  (Read 926 times)

Patch Chains on Strike Module?
« on: April 30, 2020, 06:04:30 PM »
Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology, but here's what I want, and I think it's called a patch chain. This is specifically in reference to the Strike Module. Say I have a set to play of 15 songs and not all songs would use the same patch. I want to set up what I think is called a patch chain so that I can just advance through the chain from patch 1 to 2 to 3, etc as we progress through the set by just advancing to the next patch that I have programmed into the patch chain beforehand. I think this is a rather old concept as I believe that some of the synths that my brother has owned through the years had this function and you could add a pedal that would advance to the next patch in the chain.

I looked through the manual for the Strike Module and did not see this feature anywhere. Does anyone know if it is capable of doing this? I don't have the kit yet, as I've order it and am waiting for it to be back in stock (see my intro).

Thanks!

-tim

Offline Chaser

Re: Patch Chains on Strike Module?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2020, 07:47:59 PM »
Maybe I'm using the wrong terminology, but here's what I want, and I think it's called a patch chain. This is specifically in reference to the Strike Module. Say I have a set to play of 15 songs and not all songs would use the same patch. I want to set up what I think is called a patch chain so that I can just advance through the chain from patch 1 to 2 to 3, etc as we progress through the set by just advancing to the next patch that I have programmed into the patch chain beforehand. I think this is a rather old concept as I believe that some of the synths that my brother has owned through the years had this function and you could add a pedal that would advance to the next patch in the chain.

I looked through the manual for the Strike Module and did not see this feature anywhere. Does anyone know if it is capable of doing this? I don't have the kit yet, as I've order it and am waiting for it to be back in stock (see my intro).

Thanks!

-tim

You can send Program changes through MIDI.
STRIKE MODULE v1.5 USER GUIDE pg28

Program Change Receive: Send MIDI program change messages to your Strike module’s MIDI input or USB port. The numbers of program change messages correspond to the kits listed in the current folder. Alternatively, send MIDI CC #118 to increment by one kit or MIDI CC #119 to decrement by one kit.

There are multiple ways to get MIDI to the module...both hardware and software...anything that send program changes
If you want to use a pedal and considering expanding your kit ,you could use a TriggerIO(Ddrum-DDTI)
It uses a pedal for inc/dec kits and can send program changes.
If you are in a band that uses MIDI and use iPads,many use band helper.You can automate/change your sets,lighting etc by having a member (like a keyboardist)send all the MIDI changes with a simple key stroke...unlimited possibilities.

STRIKE MODULE PROGRAM CHANGES

« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 07:50:28 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 09:30:44 AM »
Yeah, that sounds like what I'm looking for! Although, I don't see any other reference to "folders" anywhere else. Can I create folders on the SD card and save user kits to them? And I guess that if I wanted to use the same kit for multiple songs, I'd have to save it multiple times with different names.

That BandHelper app looks awesome! I don't know that I could get all of the band members to use it, but I think a few of them definitely would. I can see many features that we would make great use of!

Awesome info, Chaser!

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 11:22:27 AM »
Yeah, that sounds like what I'm looking for! Although, I don't see any other reference to "folders" anywhere else. Can I create folders on the SD card and save user kits to them? And I guess that if I wanted to use the same kit for multiple songs, I'd have to save it multiple times with different names.

I don't think Alesis has put much thought into the MIDI support..currently you can only go to 127 for MIDI program changes and there is 136 factory kits.
MIDI 2.0 was released in January so now you can go much higher...but who knows when Alesis will implement 2.0.

You have to manually switch the module from PRESET to USER for the "Current Folder"..then  MIDI program changes work on the User Kits in the external SD Card...so basically if you want factory kits and user kits to be accessed by program changes you would save/name preset kits as User Kits.