Author Topic: Gear Storage/Transport Solution  (Read 2249 times)

Offline AlanK

Gear Storage/Transport Solution
« on: June 14, 2016, 11:29:23 AM »
Hi y'all. Been looking into storage and transportation solutions for the gear I haul around to jams with my buddies.
Usually I toss my throne, laptop stand, sticks, cables etc into a big plastic tub bin and then wrap my mixer, interface, mics and any more fragile stuff into bubble wrap or cloth and so on, try to place it in between the stuff in the bin and hope for the best. It's ok generally, but being a project guy like a lot of you, I'm always thinking of a safer and cooler way to store or transport this stuff.

I've tried to create my own foam holders, but the few times I tried even with a new exacto blade/utility knife I still rip it and make a mess. I found sheets of perforated dense foam that has cubes pre-set and you just carefully pull out bits and then fit your gear into the slots. Was going to find a toolbox or small bin just for my audio interface and one mic which is the basic fragile stuff I take most of the time but then thought since the sheets are fairly large to begin with, I'd do the first one to fit all my gear in one.

So in case I ever need to store it away or take it all somewhere, I have room for the most of it. Found a nice sized plastic tub that looks cool, and it happened to fit the foam pieces perfectly. There's a piece of egg carton style on the bottom and top, then the shapeable piece in between and it fits everything snuggly and safe.

I also found a smaller super shatterproof case that fits two mics perfectly. I'm going to eventually find and make one that fits the DM10 module (or the Strike module!) eventually in case I ever need to store or transport it.. I do have the original packaging but it's huge, plus I don't want to have to take off the mount, so I can make a foam holder that fits it in that will be in a shape with room for the mount stub. Just looks more pro than unpacking a bunch of towels or bubble wrap and if we were to have a party in the basement and I need to pack up the gear, it's a lot more damage proof.

I'm also thinking of getting more of this foam to create holders for the pads and cymbals also if I have to pack the drumset up and store or move it, although I know there are a few cool carry bag solutions that have various slots built in for this kind of thing too.. but I can stack bins fairly easily so I may stick to that type of storage.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 03:46:43 PM by AlanK »
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline AlanK

Re: Gear Storage/Transport Solution
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 11:39:06 AM »
Oh by the way, so there were definitely really cool Mission Impossible style hard plastic storage cases that had foam in them that you could create your own slots, fully lockable with heavy duty clamps and handle with waterproof impact resistance and so on.. but they were like $199, the smallest version was maybe $50 on sale but it would only fit say the mixer, or two mics.. seemed like overkill. These foam sheets are about 9 bucks each, the bin was maybe 7 or 8.. so all in all this project cost me under 30 bucks AND it fits pretty much all my gear in one. Even if I make one for the module it'll still only cost me another $20 or so, so I'm still getting this all for a quarter of the cost of a fancy secret agent briefcase type of deal (which does look damned cool I must say).
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Sal

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 12:04:33 PM »
Neat solution!

But man, help us out with some line breaks!
Here this whole time I thought you were the troll with a heart of gold. Instead you're just a troll with a real troll's heart.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 03:47:50 PM »
Neat solution!

But man, help us out with some line breaks!

hahahaha, I was flying on the keys spewing like there's no tomorrow.. didn't want to make my post look longer than it needed to be.. point taken, have edited to make more readible   ::)

Offline Sal

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 04:05:31 PM »
That helped a lot! Thank you!

So how heavy are they?
Here this whole time I thought you were the troll with a heart of gold. Instead you're just a troll with a real troll's heart.

Offline AlanK

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2016, 04:19:43 PM »
He ain't heavy he's my brother!

Offline Sal

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2016, 05:24:37 PM »

Offline AlanK

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 09:42:01 AM »
Sorry Sal, went with the humour first. And I wasn't sure which option you were asking about the weight. But anyhow, the heavy duty fancy cases are pretty frikkin heavy, but they're like bulletproof.

The bin I put together, even with my mixer, interface and 3 mics in it is not even 5 pounds I imagine.. easy to lift. Certainly lighter than my big plastic tub I use to put my other gear in when I travel.. that one is hard on my back which is partly why I was looking for a second storage solution.. have a bad back so always dread the jams where I've gotta lug my bin plus a speaker or two up from the basement, out to the van, then into a buddy's and down to their basement.. can't really use a dolly or bins with wheels. I'll put a link to the really cool espionage cases

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/maximum-waterproof-tool-box-large-0581545p.html#srp

and this is what I bought:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/mastercraft-cubed-pick-foam-0581548p.html

Offline Sal

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 02:29:40 PM »
You do NOT have to apologize! I'm a well-known butthead.

You got some really cool solutions here!

Offline AlanK

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 03:11:09 PM »
Awesome, thanks Beavis! I think we're collectively a group of tinkerers too.