Author Topic: How to Record DM10 Sounds  (Read 937 times)

How to Record DM10 Sounds
« on: March 27, 2020, 10:31:48 AM »
Hello all,

While I hate to add to the myriad of related posts, my questions still remain after looking at many of the same regarding how to record.

My goal: record Alesis DM10 sounds straight from the module. I have Logic Pro X, Garageband, and Audacity. Ideally I would use Logic Pro X.

What I have available to me:
  • Y-cable (two quarter inch male to 3/8 inch male)
  • Aux cable
  • USB cable
  • Regular male-male quarter inch cables
  • Audient iD14 audio interface
  • Early 2014 MacBook Air with NO 3/8 inch input, just headphone jack

Question: Is it possible???

I've tried many variations of connections and can only seem to use my kit as a trigger for software instruments in Logic and Garageband.

Thanks for the help and stay safe out there (social distancing excludes quality time with instruments :P).

Offline Chaser

Re: How to Record DM10 Sounds
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 03:31:43 PM »
Hello all,

While I hate to add to the myriad of related posts, my questions still remain after looking at many of the same regarding how to record.

My goal: record Alesis DM10 sounds straight from the module. I have Logic Pro X, Garageband, and Audacity. Ideally I would use Logic Pro X.

What I have available to me:
  • Y-cable (two quarter inch male to 3/8 inch male)
  • Aux cable
  • USB cable
  • Regular male-male quarter inch cables
  • Audient iD14 audio interface
  • Early 2014 MacBook Air with NO 3/8 inch input, just headphone jack

Question: Is it possible???

I've tried many variations of connections and can only seem to use my kit as a trigger for software instruments in Logic and Garageband.

Thanks for the help and stay safe out there (social distancing excludes quality time with instruments :P).

Basic Setup...
Make sure the iD14 is properly setup as your interface/sound device etc in whatever software you are using .
According to the Audient site the iD14 is even MacOS Catalina compatabile..

Connect MAIN OR AUX outputs from the DM10 module (1/4"..6.35mm) to the iD14 combo inputs..
Set the modules main/aux outputs to the configuration you want.

UTILITY>Output: Determines the module's output routing.
When  set  to  "MAIN&AUX,"  the  Drums  and  Accompaniment tracks will be sent through the MAIN OUT with effects applied and through the AUX OUT without effects applied ("dry").
When set to "MAIN>AUX," the signal sent through the AUX OUT will be identical to the one sent through the MAIN OUT.

The DM10 needs to have Local Control ON to play internal/module sounds..Local Control OFF is for sending MIDI and triggering software.

No need to connect the USB from the DM10 as No Audio passes through only MIDI/SysEx.
If Local Control is ON and USB is connected/receiving MIDI you'll get a double hit/trigger.

Re: How to Record DM10 Sounds
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 08:04:29 AM »
YES! It finally works!! Thank you so much for this, exactly what I needed. Turns out a big part of the problem was that I had a faulty USB for my iD14... Swapped it out and it works like a charm. So excited to experiment, thank you so much.