Author Topic: MIDI mapping help  (Read 2969 times)

MIDI mapping help
« on: March 27, 2021, 11:58:58 AM »
Hi,
I use my Turbo Mesh kit to control EZdrummer. As you probably know, Turbo Mesh module doesn't allow to do MIDI mapping, so I do that with eDrum MIDI Mapper, which works good. I just take the MIDI notes from EZdrummer and map each component of my set. Like I said it works good, but here's what doesn't work for me:
- if I use the hi-hat pedal as a second bass drum the "splash" of the pedal still triggers a hi-hat and I can't remove it. I've tried both options in eDrum MIDI Mapper (generic pad and hi-hat) but I couldn't make it work.
- some notes just don't work, they seem to trigger something completely different. It happens with tambourine, claps, some crashes, articulations etc. It's odd because the pads are configured correctly.
Do you use the same method?
Thanks for your help.

Re: MIDI mapping help
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2021, 04:52:50 AM »
Bump anyone?

Offline Chaser

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 10:03:16 AM »
Hi,
I use my Turbo Mesh kit to control EZdrummer. As you probably know, Turbo Mesh module doesn't allow to do MIDI mapping, so I do that with eDrum MIDI Mapper, which works good. I just take the MIDI notes from EZdrummer and map each component of my set. Like I said it works good, but here's what doesn't work for me:
- if I use the hi-hat pedal as a second bass drum the "splash" of the pedal still triggers a hi-hat and I can't remove it. I've tried both options in eDrum MIDI Mapper (generic pad and hi-hat) but I couldn't make it work.
- some notes just don't work, they seem to trigger something completely different. It happens with tambourine, claps, some crashes, articulations etc. It's odd because the pads are configured correctly.
Thanks for your help.

The Turbo/Debut/DM Lite/E-Drum Total are based on the Medeli DD401....they are very limited modules.
The link will provide you with a much more "In-depth" manual
The Alesis user guides don't list the MIDI map so if it is the default Medeli DD401 which is basically STD MIDI mapping.
There is no closed note for the HH  just open/pedal/splash

Kick - 36
Snare - 38
Tom1 - 48
Tom2 - 45
Tom3 - 43
Ride - 51
Crash - 49
HiHat O - 46
HiHat Pedal - 44
Splash - 21

You are using a Hi Hat pedal and the HH Controller cable?
The pedal is a DMHat open/closed switch type a sharp down/up sends the splash note..unchecking the splash in the HH settings doesn't work?
The E-Drum MIDI  Mapper has been around a few years (15..I think people forgot about it).."Switch-type pedals and modules that lack foot notes will still work, but result in more limited functionality."
EZ Drummer 2 MIDI Maps change for each kit..so if you are changing kits you'll need to remap E-Drum MIDI Mapper each time.

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 10:30:52 AM »
Hi,
Thanks for your help.

The Turbo/Debut/DM Lite/E-Drum Total are based on the Medeli DD401....they are very limited modules.
The Alesis user guides don't list the MIDI map so if it is the default Medeli DD401 which is basically STD MIDI mapping.

Kick - 36
Snare - 38
Tom1 - 48
Tom2 - 45
Tom3 - 43
Ride - 51
Crash - 49
HiHat O - 46
HiHat Pedal - 44
Splash - 21

The pedal is a DMHat open/closed switch type a sharp down/up sends the splash note..unchecking the splash in the HH settings doesn't work?
The E-Drum MIDI  Mapper has been around a few years (15..I think people forgot about it).."Switch-type pedals and modules that lack foot notes will still work, but result in more limited functionality."
EZ Drummer 2 MIDI Maps change for each kit..so if you are changing kits you'll need to remap E-Drum MIDI Mapper each time.
I'll take a look at the manual asap, thanks. Lots of informations here! I'm not expert so I'll try my best to understand what you're saying.
I'm using the original pedal that came with the drums.
I don't know how to unckeck the splash, I guess it must be done in eDrum MIDI mapper?
Honestly, I don't know which tests I should do, but thanks a lot for your help. I'll try something and maybe post some screenshots.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 10:55:38 AM »
Hi,
Thanks for your help.

Kick - 36
Snare - 38
Tom1 - 48
Tom2 - 45
Tom3 - 43
Ride - 51
Crash - 49
HiHat O - 46
HiHat Pedal - 44
Splash - 21

I'll take a look at the manual asap, thanks. Lots of informations here! I'm not expert so I'll try my best to understand what you're saying.
I don't know how to unckeck the splash, I guess it must be done in eDrum MIDI mapper?
Honestly, I don't know which tests I should do, but thanks a lot for your help. I'll try something and maybe post some screenshots.

There is a Hi Hat editor in E-drum MIDI mapper..
Here are the links

Online Manual

HiHat Editor

The majority of the modules MIDI  notes are standard...EZ Drummer may have moved them around in some of their maps...one of the biggest complaints about EZ Drummer is the fact the key maps are different on a lot of the kits and there isn't a "User" or Custom keymap so you can build your own..especially for E-drums...You can in SD3.

EZ Drummer like a number of Drum Software was originally intended for keyboard use and DAW/Studio production not E-Drums..
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 11:09:09 AM by Chaser »

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2021, 11:22:40 AM »
Hi,
Thanks for your help.

Kick - 36
Snare - 38
Tom1 - 48
Tom2 - 45
Tom3 - 43
Ride - 51
Crash - 49
HiHat O - 46
HiHat Pedal - 44
Splash - 21

There is a Hi Hat editor in E-drum MIDI mapper..
Here are the links

Online Manual

HiHat Editor

The majority of the modules MIDI  notes are standard...EZ Drummer may have moved them around in some of their maps...one of the biggest complaints about EZ Drummer is the fact the key maps are different on a lot of the kits and there isn't a "User" or Custom keymap so you can build your own..especially for E-drums...You can in SD3.

EZ Drummer like a number of Drum Software was originally intended for keyboard use and DAW/Studio production not E-Drums..
Thanks, I'll do that and report back.
I always do mapping with EZdrummer running. I just take the exact MIDI note number in EZDrummer and write it in the mapper, after seletting/hitting the source.

I guess you're talking about "Pad>new hi-hat" instead of "generic". I'll try that way and see if I can disable the splash.
Thanks a lot for your help, I hope I'll be solve the problem and learn something new.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2021, 11:46:47 AM »
Quote from: Hypercaffium

I always do mapping with EZdrummer running. I just take the exact MIDI note number in EZDrummer and write it in the mapper, after seletting/hitting the source.

I guess you're talking about "Pad>new hi-hat" instead of "generic". I'll try that way and see if I can disable the splash.
Thanks a lot for your help, I hope I'll be solve the problem and learn something new.

You can check the Kits MIDI map/Piano Roll using the Menu (upper right)..MENU > ABOUT LIBRARIES > MIDI LAYOUT..or use the drop down on each kit piece.. click on details and it will list the MIDI note or Key.
If you hover the cursor over the articulation ..snare..center/rimshot etc..it will also show how many notes in the keymap are assigned to it ..usually there are multiple.

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2021, 02:59:00 PM »

You can check the Kits MIDI map/Piano Roll using the Menu (upper right)..MENU > ABOUT LIBRARIES > MIDI LAYOUT..or use the drop down on each kit piece.. click on details and it will list the MIDI note or Key.
If you hover the cursor over the articulation ..snare..center/rimshot etc..it will also show how many notes in the keymap are assigned to it ..usually there are multiple.
Yes, that's what I do. But like I said, some of them don't work. Anyway, I'll try to read the manual and do some tests asap, then I'll report back.
Thanks again for your help, it's really appreciated.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2021, 04:53:27 PM »

Yes, that's what I do. But like I said, some of them don't work. Anyway, I'll try to read the manual and do some tests asap, then I'll report back.

According to Toontrack...The "Alesis" MIDI Map in the menu under E-Drums matches the DM6...which is the same Mapping as the DD401 factory default map I posted above.

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2021, 04:12:49 AM »

According to Toontrack...The "Alesis" MIDI Map in the menu under E-Drums matches the DM6...which is the same Mapping as the DD401 factory default map I posted above.
I've always used the general "Alesis" from  the menu, because of the hi-hat. Still, some things like left/right crashes, cowbell and others don't work when assigned via MIDI. I'll report back as soon as I test everything again.

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 02:25:23 AM »
Hi,
after reading both the Digital Drum manual and the eDrum Midi Mapper FAQ section I experimented with some pads, both general and hi-hat.
Just to remember, the goal is to transform the hi-hat pressure into a kick drum while still having an always open or always closed hi-hat sound. That's an ideal compromise to practice double bass.
So, I added one general pad and set it to transform the pedal pressure (G#2) into a kick drum (36) and another two to transform both the closed and open hi-hat (44 and 46) into a semi-open setting (24, if I remember correctly). It worked, but that splash sound is still popping out when the second kick drum (former hi-hat pressure) is pressed and released quickly. I suspected it was the splash, so I checked on EZdrummer and the note that is produced by that splash command is 21, which according to the Digital Drum manual IS the splash. Funny thing, it doesn't sound like a splash at all, because 21 is "closed pedal" in EZdrummer and not a splash. But that said, the problem is with the command 21, so I added another generic pad to transform the command 21 in a kick drum (36) but it doesn't work. I guess it should, I don't know why it doesn't. I've aslo experimented with edrums profiles on EZdrummer in order to find one that make it work but nothing changes.
I guess it depends on the limits of the Alesis hi-hat pedal? It's just a trigger, maybe MIDI signal can't be correctly translated. If you have some suggestions please let me know.
Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 12:58:53 PM by Hypercaffium »