Author Topic: DMPad 14" Triple-Zone Ride HELP!!!  (Read 1636 times)

DMPad 14" Triple-Zone Ride HELP!!!
« on: February 21, 2021, 12:13:27 PM »
Hi all,

I'm new here. I started on the drums 3 years ago after playing guitar for over 30 years. I guess I couldn’t bare being a closet drummer anymore !!!  :D
I own a Surge mesh kit and I recently bought a Crimson II module to be able to trigger a triple zone ride.
I’m currently looking to buy one and I noticed on eBay that the Alesis dmpad 16” 3 zone cymbal sometimes comes with one or two trigger outputs.
Which model should I get? Why is there a model with 2 trigger outputs? What type of model does the Crimson II module need to properly work with a triple zone cymbal?
I must admit I’m a bit confused…
Thank you for guiding me!

Re: DMPad 14" Triple-Zone Ride HELP!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 06:13:22 PM »
The Crimson uses a single input for all 3-zones.

Strike and DM10 (I think) modules use dual inputs to trigger all 3 zones.
I'm frankly not sure why or if one design is better than the other, out of my depth.
A2E 5-piece | Bum Wrap Drum Co maple burl wrap | Jobeky & UFO triggers | Drum-Tec real feel heads | Strike module | VH-11 + Strike cymbals | EZD2 + EZXs

Offline Chaser

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 06:54:33 PM »
Hi all,

I'm new here. I started on the drums 3 years ago after playing guitar for over 30 years. I guess I couldn’t bare being a closet drummer anymore !!!  :D
I own a Surge mesh kit and I recently bought a Crimson II module to be able to trigger a triple zone ride.
I’m currently looking to buy one and I noticed on eBay that the Alesis dmpad 16” 3 zone cymbal sometimes comes with one or two trigger outputs.
Which model should I get? Why is there a model with 2 trigger outputs? What type of model does the Crimson II module need to properly work with a triple zone cymbal?
I must admit I’m a bit confused…
Thank you for guiding me!

You want a single cable triple (3) Zone Cymbal.
The Crimson II is based on the Medeli DD650.(Command/Crimson/DM10 MKII Studio/Forge)
It uses a single cable Triple (3) Zone Ride.
The original DM10 and STRIKE Modules use a 2 cable Ride Cymbal.(bell/bow on one input..edge/choke on the other)
The original DM10 allows you to select a Dual Zone Ride or Triple (3) Zone Ride in the trigger settings.
When the Original DM10 is set to Dual Zone,you must use a dummy plug in the cymbal.
The Percussion 1 input on the module now supports an additional trigger and can be assigned a Voice.
The STRIKE Module doesn't have this option.
The STRIKE 14" Crash is also a single cable Triple (3) Zone Cymbal...Alesis just doesn't (for whatever reason) advertise it.
The Surge comes with the 10" "hammered" type single zone cymbals so the STRIKE would be similar in appearance and you may be able to pick up the STRIKE one cheaper.
I have seen the single cable DMPad's go up since they aren't as common as the Dual cable.

EDIT:
Fixed Bad link
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 02:00:31 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2021, 09:08:15 PM »
Thank you all for your responses, it's been more than helpful!!!