Commons > Sight & Sound

Happy New Alesis Drummer

<< < (2/10) > >>

rhysT:

--- Quote from: Ellis on September 10, 2018, 07:46:22 PM ---
--- Quote from: Dartanbeck on September 04, 2017, 04:12:33 PM ---I'm new here, since I've just entered the foray of becoming an Alesis Drummer - and I'm loving it!
Twenty-some gigs in so far and my new DM10X Mesh kit is performing like a real champ!

I love how I can dual layer my sounds. I had a really nice deep bass drum, and a wet, punchy one. Combining them was simple, and my bands love the result! I'm still getting used to the switch from full-on acoustic to full-on electric, but I'm liking the change!

--- End quote ---

Did you layer the bass voices in the module? Prolly not, I think - I haven’t seen anything like that in my module (yet) but I’m a noob.

--- End quote ---

Would you believe the Strike module inherited A/B layer instrument editing from the original DM10, but the "MKII Pro Extreme Platinum Edition" doesn't include that feature ..... what the :o

At least an enhanced DM10 replica is available: http://www.redboxsoundshop.com/redbox-v2-firmware.html
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RBM20--pearl-redbox-sound-module

Dartanbeck:

--- Quote from: rhysT on September 11, 2018, 06:12:08 PM ---
--- Quote from: Ellis on September 10, 2018, 07:46:22 PM ---Did you layer the bass voices in the module? Prolly not, I think - I haven’t seen anything like that in my module (yet) but I’m a noob.

--- End quote ---

Would you believe the Strike module inherited A/B layer instrument editing from the original DM10, but the "MKII Pro Extreme Platinum Edition" doesn't include that feature ..... what the :o

At least an enhanced DM10 replica is available: http://www.redboxsoundshop.com/redbox-v2-firmware.html
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RBM20--pearl-redbox-sound-module

--- End quote ---
Yes. There's a single bass drum option that I absolutely love in my headphones, but pumping through massive PA system is a different story. I've been seeing the same sound engineer ask for different things at different places.

So I have one (A) for the punchy attack (the one I love through my headphones) and another (B) for a deep thump. Makes it really easy and quick to give the sound guy what he's looking for.

I'm using my midi IN for a Sample Pad Pro at the moment, or I'd try rhysT's method of layering the snare into four - but I used his idea with the random timbale layered in with the main snare sound. Really helps to add dynamism!

WOW! Pearl's DM10 (R.E.D. Box) looks promising! I was beginning to fear the idea that there's no longer a solid DM10 module on the (new) market.

I didn't think there was anything quite like the DM10. I can literally switch kit presets mid-song with no hesitation. I have six kits currently that all use the same base kit but change rim triggers and such... some just change the midi settings on the Sample Pad Pro, and there is no audible change or loading time when I switch.

It's understandable that modules like the Strike have loading times. I get that. I really want a Strike. But when I get my Strike, I also want to keep my DM10 as part of the kit.

DM10 mkII Pro Extreme, eh? I think that title belongs to the Strike, doesn't it?! ;)

Dartanbeck:
Lots of heavy gigging this year. Just constant. Loving it!

DM10X Mesh kit is still holding up like new. I'm still feeling myself learning how to better play e-drums compared to acoustic. The DM10 sure makes it a friendly switch though.

I really love how I can get a good warm up in before we play while my kit is muted. The smallest amount of ambient room noise, like busy people talking, makes my kit entirely stealth for sound.

15" 1,000W powered speaker makes a huge difference for helping the 'feel' during live shows. The 12" is nice, but the 15" really eliminates those times when the kit disappears amongst the other instruments on stage.

Dartanbeck:
I'd also like to add (I may have already...?) that, when I first ordered my DM10X Mesh, I had already wrapped my head around the idea that This is a New instrument to learn to play, rather than expecting it to be a literal acoustic drum simulation.

I've spent years doing public drum solos and, in that endeavor, have practiced many ways to get new sounds from the same drums by how I approach the heads with my sticks or hands.

E-drums are different. They have to be.

I chisel stone and try to take really good care of my tools. I use a whetstone on my chisels, never a grinder, and keep all my tools nicely rubbed with oil.

So in playing my new e-kit, I've adopted a lighter playing style with lighter sticks than before, and set my sensitivity levels accordingly.

I find myself loving this whole new exploration in drumming, and the kit seems to love it too.

Although heavier and bigger than the sticks I've been using, I feel that these Firestix trigger my pads (mesh and cymbals) a quite a bit more responsive than my wooden ones. Being a Star Wars fan, it's a bit of a win-win for me! :)

Iggford:

--- Quote from: Dartanbeck on September 18, 2018, 01:19:17 PM ---I'd also like to add (I may have already...?) that, when I first ordered my DM10X Mesh, I had already wrapped my head around the idea that This is a New instrument to learn to play, rather than expecting it to be a literal acoustic drum simulation.

I've spent years doing public drum solos and, in that endeavor, have practiced many ways to get new sounds from the same drums by how I approach the heads with my sticks or hands.

E-drums are different. They have to be.

I chisel stone and try to take really good care of my tools. I use a whetstone on my chisels, never a grinder, and keep all my tools nicely rubbed with oil.

So in playing my new e-kit, I've adopted a lighter playing style with lighter sticks than before, and set my sensitivity levels accordingly.

I find myself loving this whole new exploration in drumming, and the kit seems to love it too.

Although heavier and bigger than the sticks I've been using, I feel that these Firestix trigger my pads (mesh and cymbals) a quite a bit more responsive than my wooden ones. Being a Star Wars fan, it's a bit of a win-win for me! :)

--- End quote ---

I have a pair of those!  I bring them out for a song or two during a show.  It's a great way to get the crowd going, they love the light-up sticks!  Normally, I've been using Ahead 5A MAXX sticks.  They're a little heavier than the wood sticks I was using, so switching between them and the light-up sticks isn't as dramatic a change.

--
Shawn.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version