Commons > Sight & Sound

Happy New Alesis Drummer

<< < (3/10) > >>

Dartanbeck:
Sweet!  I definitely want to try a pair of those!

Another addon to the whole "try not to pound the hell out of your e-kit" note:

One thing I've noticed about playing e-drums during live gigs is that I find myself accidentally pounding harder during times I can't really hear myself all that well. E-drums being what they are, it doesn't wreck the sound output through the PA, so no harm there... but it does have an impact on the longevity of the internal parts of the e-drum pads and their Piezo transducers.

That's why I mentioned the 1000W 15" powered speaker

I still think it's important to use a powerful speaker to offer some stage presence, but I'm also planning on getting my own in-ear monitor system to completely alleviate the whole "I can't hear myself well enough" issue. Not all gigs are the same, as far as being able to hear. For example, in tight spots it can be hard to get the speaker far enough away, so the sound misses me entirely.

I think I've finally got myself to the point where I no longer play harder if I'm having a hard time hearing myself play. I just keep playing and hope for the best. When it comes to playing e-drums - at least for me - hearing IS very important, so I know that I'm playing the dynamics I want. These wonderful playing surfaces really don't need to be slammed hard - and I like that.

SeilerBird:
I bought a pair of Rockstix because they change colors. I love to turn out the lights and play Inna Gada Da Vida. Pure psychedelic. ;D

Iggford:
I think mine are actually the Rockstix, but they're just the blue ones.  I want to get a set of the red and a set that changes colors!  :D

--
Shawn.

Dartanbeck:
I've been playing with those Firestix for quite some time - I just like how they don't blemish my e-kit like wood sticks do.

Not very satisfied with the feel of them (especially compared directly with my wooden sticks), I finally opted for some composite sticks by AHEAD. Just got them in and jammed with them... yeah... they feel like wood sticks in weight and control, rebound... the whole bit. They even sound just like wood sticks when clicked together or played on other surfaces, like furniture (looks around for wife).

Can't wait to gig with them now. Tis the season, afterall!

Happy to report that my DM10X Mesh kit is still going strong without any incidents whatsoever, and I'm still just rockin' away on them constantly!

With the care plan in full force, right from the start, I'm still not getting blemishes on my heads. The rubber rim ring on my snare is beat to hell, so I'll call Alesis for a new one soon, and the cymbals rubber pad gets surface marks once in a while - especially if I use wood sticks, but the Armor All wipes are keeping them nice and clean, soft and supple... still a very happy and satisfied Alesis owner = me!

Iggford:
That's awesome!

My Rockstix are about the same, they're a lot heavier and slippery if I use them too long.  So, I typically only use them once or twice during a gig.

I bought a set of Ahead Maxx 5A sticks last November, and they are my primary ones.  They were just a LITTLE heavier than my previous primaries, but I grew to love them very quickly.  I put some tape on them for grip, and I wouldn't trade them for anything else right now.

I've always favored nylon tips, but I've used both nylon and wood on my kits.  I do like the fact that the nylon is less likely to leave stick marks.  For the record, I also have a 2-year old, so stick marks are the least of my fears at this point, LOL.

Great to hear you're still going strong with your kit.  Rock on!!! :)

--
Shawn

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version