Author Topic: Drum VST Database 1.0  (Read 56807 times)

Offline vaikl

Re: Drum VST Database 1.0
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2012, 09:22:49 PM »
Lovely job on the VST.

I'm currently using Native Instruments Studio Drummer and the sound quality is quite impressive directly out of the box although some minor tweeks will enhance the sounds!
It's a real shame that the hi hat is not continuos because it is just not real to use it either closed or wide open! Does anybody knows if there's a way to make the hi hat continuous or if they are going to release and update to fix that matter?

Also, I have just bought mixosaurus and the librabry is HUGE does anybody has it and can tell me how does it work with the DM10 please?

thank you guys!

Welcome to our forum!

Unfortunately there's no other way to get the hihat CC values working in Kontakt than buying the full Kontakt product and programming own scripts.

You'll have the same problem with Mixosaurus, because it also uses the free Kontakt Player as the underlying sample engine.

Native Instruments stick on their principle that Kontakt is a software tool for keyboarders, producers or sound wizzards and not for the edrummer.

There are some standalone MIDI tools which can translate CC values into different note values, like MidiPipe for OSX.

« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2012, 11:17:18 AM »

There are some standalone MIDI tools which can translate CC values into different note values, like MidiPipe for OSX.

I really like Studio drummer's sound, but the hihat issue sounds like a deal breaker :-\. So, would MidiPipe in conjunction with Studio drummer be a viable solution?

Offline vaikl

« Reply #52 on: May 05, 2012, 06:02:39 PM »
So, would MidiPipe in conjunction with Studio drummer be a viable solution?

Studio Drummer has a much better and included MIDI mapping, you could easily load different drum maps (some V-Drum maps are already included), but all rely on note-based mapping, not CC-based mapping.

Haven't tried it already, but it should be possible to map a certain CC value range to a MIDI note with MidiPipe and then trigger the different open/half open/ shank articulations in Studio Drummer.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #53 on: May 05, 2012, 06:10:25 PM »
Oh, and as an addition to our database: For anyone who wants to use JAMSTIX from rayzoon on an OSX machine, there's a new "hack" for getting this Windows tool easily working on  a mac:

http://rayzoon2.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=35650#35650

It uses a special Wine version to simulate a Win system and JackOSX as audio/MIDI pipeline. I'm just playing around with Jamstix and BFD2 in Ableton Live and it's really amazing to do this in this simple way - until Jamstix will be available as a native OSX version later this year.

« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2012, 01:50:43 PM »
I haven't read the entire post, but I'm just checking to see if anyone posted Fretted SYnth or Rekkerd.org vsts. They're free, and they sound really good. I need to play with them to see if they're usable with drums; I know I like them with MIDI piano.
DM8 pro!

Offline vaikl

« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2012, 06:50:55 PM »
Summer deal at FXpansion: Get BFD Eco *and* a free Platinum Samples Rock Legends Quickpack for only $49, save $109,99!! ;)

« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2012, 04:17:33 AM »
That's a good heads up Vaikl - I wonder if I can still get this here in the UK....I'm off find out  ;)

Offline gorgatron

« Reply #57 on: July 06, 2012, 11:39:46 PM »
I haven't read the entire post, but I'm just checking to see if anyone posted Fretted SYnth or Rekkerd.org vsts. They're free, and they sound really good. I need to play with them to see if they're usable with drums; I know I like them with MIDI piano.

thanks for posting these. i looked at www.rekkerd.org and there seems to be a lot to sift through - much of it interesting, too, even if i can't or wouldn't use it. maybe i'll find a few decent mastering plugins to try out. thanks again!
Alesis DM10 Studio - modified Trondster dampened rack, Hellfire mesh head conversion on toms and kick, converted 1971 14" Ludwig 303 snare w/ aluminum shell - cone + rim piezo conversion; alternate between Stock and Blue Jay Roms, BFD2, Reaper, Reason 6.5

Offline iCe

« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2015, 04:33:26 AM »
I have my DM10 at home now (updated with Mesh heads). Going to buy a new laptop, so i can record stuff and practice with it. Also because I've read good things about hooking the DM10 up to a computer and using that for more natural sounds. Leaning more towards Addictive Drummer at the moment. It is more a visual thing that appeals me, looks easy to work with (and me being new to this).
Alesis DM10 Studio kit with 682drums mesh heads
Asus F551MAV-BING-SX1008B - Laptop

Offline iCe

« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2015, 04:27:28 AM »
Well, quick update :)
I hope I can pick up my new Asus laptop today. Will download some trail versions of various software before settling down with one. Looking forward to exploring this new world I'm about to delve in to :)

EDIT: Laptop arrived today and just spent an hour or so fiddling around with setting everything up. Downloaded the BFD3 trail version, but it's obvious very limited in what you can do. Eventually figured out i had to change some settings in the DM10 module and magic stuff started to happen :)
I think i will purchase the full version of BF3, looks like i can get the hang of it and I am already impressed by the sounds en sensitivity!
Just let my stick bounce on a tom pad and sounds real natural with the volume fading down. Great ride sound as well.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 02:46:38 PM by iCe »
Alesis DM10 Studio kit with 682drums mesh heads
Asus F551MAV-BING-SX1008B - Laptop

Offline Chaser

« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2017, 03:53:15 PM »
Superior Drummer 3 to be released worldwide on September 12, 2017.

More information here: https://www.toontrack.com/superior-drummer-3-announcement/

Superior Drummer 3, Toontrack's new complete drum production studio, will be released on September 12 at a price of $399
Superior Drummer 3 yields endless choices for honing, shaping, and molding drums. Over 230GB of raw sounds were captured at Galaxy Studios by the legendary George Massenburg. There's also drag-and-drop support for individual or third-party samples. SD3's mixer provides advanced routing, control over individual mic bleed, and is loaded with 35 top-tier studio effects. And with integrated audio-to-MIDI conversion, Superior Drummer 3 provides powerful drum replacement and augmentation. Finding the right groove is easy, thanks to advanced search functions, and you can build and arrange full drum tracks without leaving the program. Complete with custom drum graphics, a scalable interface, and detachable windows, Toontrack's Superior Drummer 3 is the final word in drum production.

Drums
Over 230GB of top-shelf drum samples
Award-winning engineer George Massenburg recorded the sounds in Superior Drummer 3 at Galaxy Studios in Belgium. He utilized Galaxy Hall (the studio's main multi-purpose room), which is renowned for its near-perfect acoustics. Over 230GB of raw, unprocessed sounds were captured with eleven surround microphones, for playback in stereo and up to 11.1 surround. Massenburg used nothing but world-class gear, including mics from Neumann, Sennheiser, Ehrlund, Beyerdynamic, AEA, Sanken, and Schoeps.

Grooves
Mix, match, change, and rearrange
Superior Drummer 3 makes finding the right groove easy. Search and browse using the integrated browser, or use the Tap2Find function to match the rhythm that's in your head. From there you can dive in and fine-tune timing, velocity detail, and more with the built-in grid editor. You can even build and arrange full drum tracks without leaving the program!

Mixer
Route, bus, send, saturate, and blend
The mixer in Superior Drummer 3 is loaded with 35 studio-quality insert effects, so you can process your drums before they hit your DAW. Create groups, buses, routing, and sends exactly like you would with a hardware mixer. A wide variety of presets are available for all included kits, and you have complete control over mic bleed and more. You can even save your own custom instruments, including third-party samples and drum stacks.

Tracker
A new breed of audio-to-MIDI conversion
Drum replacement is a staple of modern studio production, and Superior Drummer 3's offline audio-to-MIDI conversion is one of the most powerful we've seen here at Sweetwater. Its advanced instrument recognition neural network detects hits with unparalleled accuracy. In fact, when Toontrack demoed the software for us, they were able to extract viable MIDI information from a single stereo drum track. Enjoy seamless SD3 integration, along with MIDI tempo and time map export. You also get single-instrument MIDI export and drag-and-drop functionality.

George Massenburg
World-class drums recorded by a studio legend
The drum sounds in Superior Drummer 3 were engineered by legendary recording engineer George Massenburg (Earth, Wind & Fire, Lyle Lovett, Little Feat, Linda Ronstadt). Besides being the inventor of the parametric equalizer, George has produced, mixed, and engineered over 400 albums, received countless industry awards, has been inducted into the TECnology Hall of Fame, and received an honorary Doctorate of Music from Berklee College. George's painstakingly thorough approach to his projects is evident in everything he touches, and SD3 is no exception.

Instruments:
Kits

Ayotte Classic
    Gretsch Round Badge 1960s
    Ludwig '70s 3-ply Classic
    Ludwig '70s 3-ply Concert
    Pearl Masterworks
    Premier Genista Birch Original
    Yamaha Beech Custom
    Plus 350 vintage and classic drum machine sounds

Snares

5.5" x 14" Ayotte Custom Maple
    5" x 13" Ayotte Maple Custom Yellow
    4" x 14" Gigster "Slim"
    3.5" x 14" GMS Brass Piccolo
    5" x 14" Gretsch Solid Aluminum
    5" x 14" 1930s Leedy Broadway Standard Solid Mahogany
    8" x 14" Lignum Custom Pear Stave
    8" x 14" Lignum Custom Pear Stave (w/ extra drumhead)
    4" x 14" 1920s Ludwig Black Beauty
    5" x 14" Ludwig 400
    6.5" x 14" Ludwig Black Beauty
    8" x 14" Ludwig Coliseum
    5.5" x 14" Ludwig Jazz Festival
    6.5" x 14" Ludwig Super-Sensitive
    7" x 14" Noble and Cooley Steambent Maple
    6.5" x 14" Noble and Cooley Zildjian Cast Bronze
    6" x 14" Odery Air Control Vented
    4.5" x 10" Odery Hard Hoop Aluminum Wood
    6" x 14" Pearl Masters Custom
    10" x 14" Rogers "Yorktown" Eagle Batch
    5" x 14" Slingerland Radio King
    2.5" x 10" Sonor Select Force Jungle
    8" x 14" TAMA Artwood Maple
    6.5" x 14" TAMA Bell Brass
    6" x 14" TAMA Warlord Collection Masai Bubinga KGB146
    5.5" x 14" Yamaha Copper Nouveau

Tools (available on select kits and instruments)
    Sticks
    Mallets
    Brushes
    Blasticks
    Rods

SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS FOR SUPERIOR DRUMMER 3

64-bit Windows 7 or newer, 4 GB RAM (8 GB RAM or more recommended).
Mac OS X 10.6 or higher, 64-bit Intel-based Mac with 4 GB RAM (8 GB RAM or more recommended).
64-bit host (with support for VST, AU or AAX). Standalone is included.

SOFTWARE: Approx. 320 MB download + installation space.
SOUND LIBRARY: Basic install: Approx. 41 GB download and an additional 41 GB for the installation process.
Complete install: Approx. 236 GB download and an additional 55 GB for the installation process.

Superior Drummer 3 FAQ
https://www.toontrack.com/faq/1311697-2/
Toontrack Superior Drummer 3.0 Drum Software Review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlJ_SKdFdM8
Exclusive First Look - Toontrack Superior Drummer 3 New Features
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNVB__3K0wc
Toontrack Superior Drummer 3.0 with an Electronic Kit- All Kit Auditions
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZ0jGa3GhZw
« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 11:52:06 AM by Chaser »