Author Topic: *NEW* Alesis Strike "Zone" and Stike "Pro"  (Read 183092 times)

Offline Pier

Re: *NEW* Alesis Strike "Zone" and Stike "Pro"
« Reply #1426 on: July 09, 2017, 04:16:45 AM »
Quite strange: they put online the editor manual and the User Guide pdf vanished!
Are we in for updates?

Online Hellfire

Offline rhysT

« Reply #1428 on: July 09, 2017, 05:19:54 PM »
Manual editor online http://5a18fcdc5c8aa2617926-54d68a14e2e7c1f76563a2d8c3e9fd82.r82.cf2.rackcdn.com/1550/documents/StrikeEditor-UserGuide-v1.0.pdf

Thanks for the update. Now I just need to find the time to look over it.  :)

I'm wondering how many guys will want to spend time creating their own multi-velocity layered instrument sounds, although software like Lustark's SDSE should make it easier: http://lustark.com/sdse
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 05:22:04 PM by rhysT »

« Reply #1429 on: July 10, 2017, 01:14:27 PM »
Editor Software and Firmware 1.2 released !

Offline Chaser

« Reply #1430 on: July 10, 2017, 06:29:58 PM »
Too bad it's hardware exclusive.. :(

« Reply #1431 on: July 10, 2017, 08:16:58 PM »
Now let's see what this kit is made of. Watching this with eager anticipation!

Offline rhysT

« Reply #1432 on: July 10, 2017, 09:08:39 PM »
Too bad it's hardware exclusive.. :(

Yeah unfortunately the DM10 missed out again wrt official Alesis support!   >:(

FYI: http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=786.msg6211#msg6211
       http://www.alesisdrummer.com/index.php?topic=2365.msg17611#msg17611
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 09:41:01 PM by rhysT »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #1433 on: July 11, 2017, 08:35:21 AM »
Velocity Switching

I want to address something about this update. No I haven't installed it yet, but I've already seen a video stating that the Strike now has (implied: thanks to the new firmware 1.2) the ability to do Velocity Switching. Just so people know, the ability was already there and this update just changes the visual representation of this control. I demonstrated this here: Strike Module Custom Kits back on May 18th (2017).

Yes, this is a good update to the Velocity Switch controls (makes it much easier to understand and use), I just don't want people thinking that a feature was added when it was always there.

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #1434 on: July 12, 2017, 02:04:54 PM »
Velocity Switching

I want to address something about this update. No I haven't installed it yet, but I've already seen a video stating that the Strike now has (implied: thanks to the new firmware 1.2) the ability to do Velocity Switching. Just so people know, the ability was already there and this update just changes the visual representation of this control. I demonstrated this here: Strike Module Custom Kits back on May 18th (2017).

Yes, this is a good update to the Velocity Switch controls (makes it much easier to understand and use), I just don't want people thinking that a feature was added when it was always there.

its explained here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDvE6Y2keK8

« Reply #1435 on: July 12, 2017, 02:13:32 PM »
But as Hellfire just explained.  It is not a new function.

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #1436 on: July 12, 2017, 02:39:44 PM »

Unless Hellfire can correct me, from what I read, before there was Layer A and B, but only controlled by Velocity to volume 0 to 99, this was only volume, like layers A volume 60, layer B volume 80, both instruments was still simultaneously playing all the time on each velocity layers from 1 to 127. (also velocity decay, filter, tune same technique)

Now we are talking stopping velocity wav sample Instruments 0 to 127 on each layers not the same things.

Ex: Layers A: 0 to 60 velocity layers
      Layer B: 61 to 127 velocity layers

-Now with the latest update, A and B will not sound at the same time, only at their velocity "lock" level set.

*I did not saw this before with Strike on the manual, I don't think they will mention new feature on update that was already available before.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 02:54:04 PM by ChrisK »

« Reply #1437 on: July 12, 2017, 03:06:09 PM »
Well that's over my head!  :-\

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #1438 on: July 12, 2017, 03:11:42 PM »

no problem, I think it's confusing when too much option as well, all these option are for advanced power users, waiting Hellfire  8)

« Reply #1439 on: July 12, 2017, 03:31:28 PM »

Check out the video ChrisK posted a few posts up. It explains it quite well.

« Reply #1440 on: July 12, 2017, 03:42:40 PM »

Check out the video ChrisK posted a few posts up. It explains it quite well.
Yeah, I did watch it, and it began to make sense. Then I read ChrisK's explanation and became confused again. Perhaps with reading more discussions, it will become clearer.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #1441 on: July 12, 2017, 04:07:57 PM »

Unless Hellfire can correct me, from what I read, before there was Layer A and B, but only controlled by Velocity to volume 0 to 99, this was only volume, like layers A volume 60, layer B volume 80, both instruments was still simultaneously playing all the time on each velocity layers from 1 to 127. (also velocity decay, filter, tune same technique)

Now we are talking stopping velocity wav sample Instruments 0 to 127 on each layers not the same things.

-Now with the latest update, A and B will not sound at the same time, only at their velocity "lock" level set.

*I did not saw this before with Strike on the manual, I don't think they will mention new feature on update that was already available before.

Chris the function was already there. The update just changed the way it is visually represented. Yes the new way is better, but it was there before the update and no it wasn't really cover in the manual. It's called "velocity switching" and it was done (before the update) using the Vel >Level function. That is how I made the rim trigger a snare hit on soft notes and a snare shot on hard notes and no they didn't play at the same time. It was one or the other with some over lap for a smooth transition. This is the same function used on the DM10 for a Three zone snare drum.

The new way is much better as it make it 100% clear how this is done. Before you really had to have an understanding of the Velocity functions and most did not because the module use number values from -99 to +99. Because it didn't make much sense no one used it (except a few power users). Again, the proof is the Strike kit I up loaded to the site here back on May 18th. (if it didn't exist until now, then how did I do it then?):

Strike Module Custom Kits

Offline ChrisK

« Reply #1442 on: July 12, 2017, 04:16:03 PM »

Chris the function was already there. The update just changed the way it is visually represented. Yes the new way is better, but it was there before the update and no it wasn't really cover in the manual. It's called "velocity switching" and it was done (before the update) using the Vel >Level function. That is how I made the rim trigger a snare hit on soft notes and a snare shot on hard notes and no they didn't play at the same time. It was one or the other with some over lap for a smooth transition. This is the same function used on the DM10 for a Three zone snare drum.

The new way is much better as it make it 100% clear how this is done. Before you really had to have an understanding of the Velocity functions and most did not because the module use number values from -99 to +99. Because it didn't make much sense no one used it (except a few power users). Again, the proof is the Strike kit I up loaded to the site here back on May 18th. (if it didn't exist until now, then how did I do it then?):

Strike Module Custom Kits

Ok thanks, at least It was not the manual,  only saw Velocity Level, volume (0 to 99 ) but this was important feature to explain it on the manual, hello Alesis?, and strange, the way they re implemented now, it's like sample rack, more easier.

*Can you check if velocity level are still there? if its still here, both can't be controlled as same function.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 04:24:47 PM by ChrisK »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #1443 on: July 12, 2017, 07:23:34 PM »
Ok thanks, at least It was not the manual,  only saw Velocity Level, volume (0 to 99 ) but this was important feature to explain it on the manual, hello Alesis?, and strange, the way they re implemented now, it's like sample rack, more easier.

*Can you check if velocity level are still there? if its still here, both can't be controlled as same function.

Slight correction I also used the Velocity to Decay function as well to make velocity switching work. That function (Vel>Decay) is -99 to +99. Velocity to level (Vel>Level) is only 0 to 99. Using both of those together will allow for velocity switching.

I don't have the new firmware installed yet, but yes they could control the same function and yes they both still could be used at the same time. The velocity switch trick that I've demonstrated with the Strike (and the DM10) works because of the way both Vel>Decay and Vel>Level work. They are not used exclusively for this function. Alesis decide to make a dedicated velocity switch function, okay great, but it was still achievable under the older firmware. It was just done differently.

« Reply #1444 on: July 12, 2017, 07:37:46 PM »
Has anyone downloaded new 1.2 update? I'm wondering if it improves hi hat and how editor is with loading multi samples from VST.

Offline rhysT

« Reply #1445 on: July 13, 2017, 09:14:16 AM »
Velocity Switching

its explained here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDvE6Y2keK8

FWIW, here's some info about dual sound layering with a TD-50 module: https://www.rolandcorp.com.au/blog/the-drummers-guide-to-the-td-50-using-layer-function (@ 16:40)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 06:59:15 PM by rhysT »

« Reply #1446 on: July 13, 2017, 12:03:43 PM »
Can someone tell me if the new cymbals pads on the strike are quieter then the one on the DM10. I'm thinking about upgrading since the loudness of the DM-10 cymbal pads are one of my major concern since I moved.
Thanks !

« Reply #1447 on: July 14, 2017, 01:53:37 PM »
Can someone tell me if the new cymbals pads on the strike are quieter then the one on the DM10. I'm thinking about upgrading since the loudness of the DM-10 cymbal pads are one of my major concern since I moved.
Thanks !

To add onto this. Is it possible to use DM10 or other Alesis kit cymbals with the Strike? You can get some Alesis replacements cymbals for around 30-40 dollars. If they would be compatible you could add one or two cymbals to the smaller Strike kit and have a 5 piece kit with 3-4 cymbals and the movable hi hats for much cheaper. 

« Reply #1448 on: July 15, 2017, 11:02:25 AM »
Especially for e-drummers with extra pads and cymbals lying around (which most of us have).

« Reply #1449 on: July 15, 2017, 11:44:26 AM »
Has anyone downloaded new 1.2 update? I'm wondering if it improves hi hat and how editor is with loading multi samples from VST.

I did ... Hi hat is a calamity again, I can't make it work properly (worked well with 1.1)