Author Topic: Trigger Alesis Strike with Compact Kit 7?  (Read 785 times)

Trigger Alesis Strike with Compact Kit 7?
« on: October 29, 2022, 12:06:29 AM »
Hi everybody

I have an Alesis strike which I love, but that's another story.

I travel frequently and end up in hotels for weeks at a time.  I would love a way to bring drums with me.

Could I buy a compact kit 7 and trigger my Strike module?  I don't see a midi out on the compact kit, just USB.  Is there a cable I could buy to make it happen?

Thanks

Offline Chaser

Re: Trigger Alesis Strike with Compact Kit 7?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2022, 01:54:38 AM »
Hi everybody

I have an Alesis strike which I love, but that's another story.

I travel frequently and end up in hotels for weeks at a time.  I would love a way to bring drums with me.

Could I buy a compact kit 7 and trigger my Strike module?  I don't see a midi out on the compact kit, just USB.  Is there a cable I could buy to make it happen?

Thanks

I use a Highly Modified STRIKE Multipad as a Hub as it also has Bi-Directional MIDI and Audio Interface..
If the SMP wasn't in the budget,I would go with a SamplePad Pro before a Compakt7 (Medeli DD315)..a little more on the price..but many more options...see this Topic for additional info
The Samplepad Pro (User Guide) has 8 pads..5 PIN MIDI,assignable MIDI Notes,User samples loading,  and you could also add/use it with your Kit rather than a Tabletop Kit/ Compakt7 which you really couldn't/wouldn't...and there is an Editor available

There are also additional inputs

Kick Pedal Input: Connect a kick trigger or footswitch here using a 1/4" TS cable to use this input as a kick
trigger while playing. Select "SWITCH" if you are using a footswitch or switch trigger. Select "TRIGGER" if you
are using a velocity-sensitive pedal or velocity-sensitive kick trigger.

Hi-Hat Input: Connect a Hi-Hat pedal here using a 1/4" TS cable to use this input to control the position of a Hi-
Hat while playing. Select "SWITCH" if you are using a standard footswitch. Select "VARIABLE" if you are using
a variable hi-hat pedal. We recommend using the Alesis DMHat Pedal with SamplePad Pro.

Footswitch Input: Connect a standard 1/4" TS single-button or 1/4" TRS dual-button footswitch here to control
functions assigned in the Footswitch options menu.

Pad 1: Connect a dual-zone or single-zone drum pad, cymbal pad, or trigger to this input using a 1/4" TRS
cable for dual-zone or a 1/4" TS cable for single-zone. You can use this input to trigger samples assigned to the
EXT 1A and EXT 1B trigger location of each kit on SamplePad Pro.

Pad 2: Connect a single-zone drum pad, cymbal pad, or trigger to this input using a 1/4" TS cable. You can use
this input to trigger samples assigned to the EXT 2 trigger location of each kit on SamplePad Pro.

I don't know if anyone has noticed but Inmusic has opened a Retail Store and has been placing links throughout their Brands,selling all their products..if you don't see an Inmusic Store Buy It Now link (Example:Alesis site)..when you do click on a Buy Now link (Example:Akaipro)..it will take you to the Inmusic Store....I did notice the STRIKE product line is all there except for the STRIKE Pro SE Kit,the STRIKE module and there is no longer a Buy tab for the module on the Alesis site.

The Alesis site shows "out of stock" for the Samplepad Pro however there is a large inventory in the Alesis Amazon Store
and of course it is the Season..Black Friday sales etc and I just checked (GC 15 OFF coupon) and Guitar Center coupons apply, knocking it down to under $300 USD..

One thing to note is the Sampelad Pro is (overpriced) older tech and there are cons so check out youtube videos , reviews etc

HXW offers the Avatar PD705 Percussion Pad 9-Trigger (User Manual) which is a more current version of a samplepad and in the similar price range (under $300.00 USD) , but I have no experience with these,so once again checkout the reviews..youtube etc.
There seems to be decent support as there are firmware updates/Editor/Wav manager (Wave Manager User manual)
It is offered by a large number of retailers now including Amazon.

EDIT:
Fixed bad Link
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 11:00:38 AM by Chaser »

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2022, 11:34:24 AM »
Thanks for the reply.  I forgot that I have an old midi only Roland octapad.  It's not the greatest, but it might work for me.  If not, I'll look at some of these other options.

I'd love to get a strike multipad if it was in the budget, but I'm not looking to spend much on this

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2022, 01:01:31 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I forgot that I have an old midi only Roland octapad.  It's not the greatest, but it might work for me.  If not, I'll look at some of these other options.

I'd love to get a strike multipad if it was in the budget, but I'm not looking to spend much on this

How Old is "Old" ?...I think even the PAD-5, PAD-80 had patches...sometimes the older MIDI gear has more MIDI adjustments than newer
and you can update the triggers/pads with more current materials.

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2022, 01:13:38 PM »
it's a pad 80.  I don't know much about midi, but it does have a bunch of patches.  I've used it to trigger my strike in practice situations where I just bring a kick.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2022, 01:35:12 PM »
it's a pad 80.  I don't know much about midi, but it does have a bunch of patches.  I've used it to trigger my strike in practice situations where I just bring a kick.

That model (Octapad II) you can assign MIDI Notes and Channels to each pad and it also has the ability to play up to three notes per pad, and velocity switching.... those features aren't in a lot of the new multipads offered today.

LAYER FUNCTION
MIX..Velocity MIX or Velocity SWITCH..PAD-80 Manual PG 35-36..

MIX
The 3 Note messages are transmitted simultaneously when the pad is played.
Example:
With a synthesizer you can play a chord using 3 notes from single pad

V-MIX (Velocity Mix)
3 Note messages can be transmitted separately or simultaneously depending on Velocity.
Example:
Soft hits transmits only the initial note..
Med hit transmits inital Note + Layer Note 1
Hard hit transmits Layer 2 Note + the other 2 notes

V-SWITCH (Velocity Switch)
1 of 3 Notes are transmitted separately depending on Velocity..
Example:
Soft Hit .. Initial Note
Med Hit.. Layer Note 1
Hard hit..Layer Note 2

You can check the Velocity strength on the Velocity level Indicators

Here is a link to some old magazine articles/reviews highlighting features etc

Since the Octapad II (PAD-80) still holds it's value I thought I might add that MIDIQUEST..has a Editor/librarian (including an iOS version) for supporting older MIDI Hardware (I have a large amount of old MIDI Hardware and use MIDIQUEST for years ) ..I loaded the PAD-80 and added some screenshots from the iPad.I don't own a PAD-80 to see how it performs with the Editor , but the screenshots give you an idea.

EDIT:
Added Links,Manual,Images
« Last Edit: October 30, 2022, 12:11:49 AM by Chaser »

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2022, 09:56:17 PM »
Thanks for all the info.  You got me thinking about the Strike multipad.

Does it fully function as a module for you?  I can use my edrumin to trigger all of my pads if I need to as the multipad doesn't have enough inputs.  I know it doesn't have an editor, which is a pretty big drawback for me, but I think the convenience would make it worth it.

Could I trigger a full Strike pro using the multipad and my edrumin?  Do you think this could be a good solution?  I would sell the strike module and only use the multipad.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2022, 01:47:40 PM »
Thanks for all the info.  You got me thinking about the Strike multipad.

Does it fully function as a module for you?  I can use my edrumin to trigger all of my pads if I need to as the multipad doesn't have enough inputs.  I know it doesn't have an editor, which is a pretty big drawback for me, but I think the convenience would make it worth it.

Could I trigger a full Strike pro using the multipad and my edrumin?  Do you think this could be a good solution?  I would sell the strike module and only use the multipad.

Multipad/Samplepads are not drum or sound modules.You can setup a mini kit but understand they are intended for complimenting a kit or as a percussion module add on.

Multi/Sample pads are as designed..sampling,looping,usually short one shot samples, do not have all the trigger settings..and low VOICE polyphony.The Multi/Sample pad dedicates resources/processing for looping/sampling.
The Majority of drum modules currently are around 64-128 VOICE Polyphony...Multi/Sample Pads are much lower.
The SMP is 32 VOICE Polyphony Mono..16 Stereo...even the NEW Roland SPD-SX PRO is 32 VOICE Polyphony and no mention of stereo in the manual so importing stereo wav is unknown..usually manufactures point that out.Users are upset as some features (Time Stretch) were dropped that previous Roland models had.
Modules and Multi/Sample Pads usually have a Priority setting..Low..Med..High so you can select what you want dropped when Polyphony starts getting maxed out.There are users that claim they exceed the STRIKE max kit size with no noticeable issues , but you'll read complaints about cymbals dropping out etc.Cymbals and low toms ring out the longest..so first to drop out.
The STRIKE Module has the features of a Multipad..onboard sampling,slicing ,loop creation and quick instruments.
The sample recording feature streams audio directly to and from your SD card. This means that the time limit for Sample Mode is now based on how much space is available on your SD card.
I haven't found any documentation or a response from support about the STRIKE module Polyphony , so I presume it's  64-128

Alesis Drum Module Polyphony Examples:

Crimson/II/Command/DM10 MKII Studio/Forge (Medeli DD650) 16 bit..64 VOICE Polyphony

Older modules
DM10   16 bit..64 VOICE Polyphony
DM Pro 20 bit..64 VOICE Polyphony..
DM5    18 bit..16 VOICE Polyphony..

As far as the STRIKE Multipad being labeled as Powered by STRIKE (STRIKE Module uses Blackfin processors) and in the STRIKE lineup..it's really not.
Like the DM10 MKII Pro and the original DM10..the only thing in common is the name.
The STRIKE Multipad is more related to the DM10 MKII Pro..
They both use the Medeli A5 chip and A/B layers with Velocity switching.
The module has a sample size limit for individual samples and per Kit.
The SMP does not have sample size limits...but has 1/2 the Polyphony.
Both require samples be placed in the ROOT Directory (importing).
I have also found discrepancies in Alesis Polyphony claims and never recieved any answer when I inquired..
The Medeli A5 chip is known for 256 VOICE Polyphony in their high end keyboards...but the Alesis manuals don't match the Medeli..
The STRIKE Multipad User Guide clearly states under the Priority settings it's 32/16

DM10 MKII Pro (Medeli DD680) Alesis User Guide
Maximum Polyphony 256 voices
Kits 80 (50 preset + 30 user)Sounds 758 sounds/voices (drum, percussion, effect)
Up to 99 user-loaded samples, 16 MB
Sequencer 100 preset patterns20 preset hits 30 preset taps 5 user songs
Up to 99 user songs in 1 folder on USB flash drive (MP3 or WAV) 192 ticks per beat Real-time record Approx.
15000 notes per user song

Medeli DD680 User Guide
Maximum Polyphony
Drum kits
Kit: 80 (50 Presets + 30 Users)
Instruments
Preset voice: 700(Drum Voice, Percussion Voice, Effect Voice)
User voice: maximum 99 samples with 16M Byte in total.
Sequencer
Preset Pattern: 100
Preset Hit: 20
Preset Tap: 30
User Song: 5
Audio files with mp3 and wav format: 99 maximum under one folder in USB flash drive.
Tick: 192 ticks per beat
Record: Real-time Record
Data Capacity: About 15000 notes for each user song

I use the SMP as an Audio/MIDI Interface...STRIKE Module Audio/5 PIN MIDI IN...Tablet/iPad USB Audio/MIDI IN and the SMP Audio OUT..eliminating a lot of cabling and an additional Audio Interface.

There are also some issues with the SMP.
I ran across all of them (2018 PRE-ORDER MODEL) and applied my own solutions and have had no problems since.
One of them ..SD Card corruption..in the 1st month I had it the SMP went into a Boot Loop.
The SD Card/filing system,more specifically the WAV Folder which consists of 100 (0-80,126-127) folders each up to 100 files for the DATA (wav files),HEAD (.had files) and 9 sorting lists.
The .had files are similar to a sin file in the STRIKE module...only they are not named but numbered..the file names,wav location etc are listed in the file itself.(as of v1.3)

When a sample is imported the name is placed on a sort list(s) , however the user sample (and .had file) is renamed a number and placed in a folder..randomly..whichever wav folder has room and the folders are in numerical but do not hold the wav files alphabetically or by instrument.

Users complained about the amount of samples that could be imported so there was a feature update (Sample Manger) to allow a massive amount (250?)..problems rose when you went to delete a sample(s) or load/save a user bank with kits that exceed 4GB.. as no sample size limt and a FAT 32 system cause problems..Once the file system (any of the lists or a wav during editing,deletion) get corrupted the SD Card must come out.

v1.3..Sample Manager..saving user kits/samples (replace/save complete bank only)
v1.2..Setlists,browsing without pre-loading,improved Loading times.
v1.1..more sample rates and editing..HH groups

When I ran into the SD Card being corrupted the 1st month I had it (Boot Loop).
I elected to disassemble and correct it or find a better solution which I did, including external access (and eject) for the internal SD Card and while I was in there.. removed the reflection plate tech(very similar to the Realheads) for the upper pads..removed/replaced the 6 larger pad/triggers using a different piezo along with a decoupler and machined/added sensitivity knobs for each pad.
Now I use smaller SD Cards,pre-built banks/sets..basically plug-n-play.
I have backups of the Factory Card so if I corrupt a sample or SD Card I just pop it out and start over.
I don't belong to any Social Media so I am not aware of any other issues that may have been found and posted on the STRIKE Multipad Group Facebook page..It is Private.

EDIT:
Fixed Link
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 03:01:59 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2022, 12:36:53 AM »
Wow, thanks for all of the info.  I always heard people say there are big differences between a sample pad and a module, but having never owned a sample pad, I've never really known, so that is great to read and learn all of that.

I fired up my old roland pad 80 and the screen is completely dead.  Thankfully I found a replacement online, so I ordered it and will be fixing the pad 80 to hopefully work well as a midi trigger device for the strike.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2022, 08:36:17 AM »
Wow, thanks for all of the info.  I always heard people say there are big differences between a sample pad and a module, but having never owned a sample pad, I've never really known, so that is great to read and learn all of that.

It helps to use or construct the best samples possible.One shots are typically Normalized (0db) 16bit. 1 sec or so and don't fade out or have a tail and some that do have a tail need to be trimmed as it is mostly silence and uses up valuable space.(5 sec of silence is the same as 5 sec of music).
Then you set sample playback to Poly or Mono.If you plan on doing onboard instrument/sample creation,mixing,etc etc try finding/using -6db/24 bit

I fired up my old roland pad 80 and the screen is completely dead.  Thankfully I found a replacement online, so I ordered it and will be fixing the pad 80 to hopefully work well as a midi trigger device for the strike.

I thought I had posted a link for Parts in one of the previous posts..apparently forgot ..

SYNTAUR carries both NEW and USED (as parts become Unobtainium.) parts  for Older/Vintage gear; all used electronic parts are tested and guaranteed working. .
There is a Forum and notification option (Alert) for parts if not available..out of stock parts are still posted as a reference for info,part numbers etc

Instrumentalparts carries spare parts for the later SPD versions

EDIT:
Added Links
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 01:32:41 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2022, 10:54:54 PM »
Thanks.  I bought the screen from Syntaur.  Just waiting for it to arrive.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2022, 12:43:18 PM »
I have replaced a lot of screens over the years as I have racks full of vintage gear..the display seems to be the first thing to go,that and capacitors dry out..a lot of the time the original version isn't available but a more current version can be adapted..if there is room.
I always change the display color if possible..the old green displays are hard to see

The LCD is a SANYO DM1620..
16X2 Characters
The LCD panel is LCD-5021
Control Driver HD44780
Driver LC7930..

These 16x2 LCD screens ( HD44780 is now Industry-standard ) are typically used for Arduino projects these days with an interface soldered to the back..
The newer versions have a 16 pin header on top..while the older versions were to the side.
The mounting holes etc is the same.

ROLAND 9255 (DM1620)

If you have a problem again and can't find one..this company offers all versions of the original DM1620..(DM1620,DM1620-1,DM1620-3 etc) not cheap but they are new and about the same price you paid for used,but they are thorough and require front and back pics so there is no discrepancies.

SANYO DM1620

If there is room you could take the old ribbon off and solder to the newer version or you can get the newer version (and use a dual female connector) with header pins already soldered (optional)(multiple colors) in bulk for 10 for the same price as one original.

You have options in case the display ever fails again.. as after all  it is a used one..

« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 04:23:13 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2022, 11:45:05 AM »
That's pretty awesome, and actually a little less than I paid.  I'll keep this in mind if it goes belly up in the future.  Thanks