Author Topic: The Ol' Ride Bell on the Nitro Question  (Read 1725 times)

The Ol' Ride Bell on the Nitro Question
« on: August 27, 2022, 09:13:30 AM »
I did some searching through the forum and I haven't seen anything that specifically addresses this in a way that I understand...
We have a Nitro Mesh kit and my son really would like a ride bell. I bought the Lemon 18" 3 zone ride with some expectation that it wouldn't work but figured I'd give it a shot anyway. I connected the Ride 2 output of the cymbal to the extra Tom input on the Nitro module kinda expecting to trigger the Tom from the bell, but that didn't work. Then I connected the module to my computer via USB to see what hitting the different zones (edge, bow, bell) would do, seems they all trigger the same midi notes.

Is there anything I can do? I have even considered getting one of those trigger to midi modules exclusively for cymbals and send those to the computer separate from the module but:
1. Not sure if that would work either.
2. Not sure if there is a way to do this without going that route.

Ideally-- get all 3 zones. If not, can be happy with just edge/bow and bell (2 zones).

Thanks!

Offline Chaser

Re: The Ol' Ride Bell on the Nitro Question
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2022, 01:29:09 PM »
I did some searching through the forum and I haven't seen anything that specifically addresses this in a way that I understand...
We have a Nitro Mesh kit and my son really would like a ride bell. I bought the Lemon 18" 3 zone ride with some expectation that it wouldn't work but figured I'd give it a shot anyway. I connected the Ride 2 output of the cymbal to the extra Tom input on the Nitro module kinda expecting to trigger the Tom from the bell, but that didn't work.

Welcome to the Forum !..

The Nitro Mesh Kit is an entry level kit.The module is based on the Medeli DD512/514/516
First and most important..ALL cymbals..Crashes and the Ride are all single zone.

"The Nitro Mesh Kit includes:(3) 10" cymbals: ride cymbal, hi-hat, crash w/choke."

You cannot make a multiple zone cymbal work on a module not designed for it...
The Nitro Module does not have the MIDI support and single zone inputs are generally piezo...not switch.
Cymbal Bell and Edge are switch type. User Guide pg 38
MIDI map attached

As far as using cymbals..whenever using cymbals..you have to use a cymbal input..
Tom inputs are Piezo/Piezo..cymbals are Piezo (Bow) and switch (Bell and/or Edge).
Tom inputs generally do not support switch type triggers or cymbal choke.

You have the Dual Cable model which requires a module with 2 inputs specifically for a Ride cymbal.
There has been mentions of the Cymbals default wiring being either a Crash or a Ride from the Factory.
check this topic..there is info about the Lemon Cymbals fixes , links etc.

Dual cable Ride cymbals use 2 cables for one circuit and a module with 2 inputs that work as as one circuit.
The same applies for a Hi Hat.The pedal and cymbal are tied together in a circuit.The combination of the velocity/hit and pedal position determines the voltage the module interprets and assigns the proper Sample/Voice.
Single cable Triple (3) Zone Ride cymbals use a resistor to separate the Bell and Edge switches.
You usually need to hit the Bell harder to activate (close) the circuit.
This circuit like the Hi hat uses sample "combinations".You can't assign different articulations for the Bow/Edge/bell.

Then I connected the module to my computer via USB to see what hitting the different zones (edge, bow, bell) would do, seems they all trigger the same midi notes.

The Nitro Ride cymbal is single zone..only MIDI note 51 is sent..

Is there anything I can do? I have even considered getting one of those trigger to midi modules exclusively for cymbals and send those to the computer separate from the module but:
1. Not sure if that would work either.
2. Not sure if there is a way to do this without going that route.
Ideally-- get all 3 zones. If not, can be happy with just edge/bow and bell (2 zones).

Thanks!

The Nitro module only supports single zone...
You can use a separate TMI but you need to check if the software/vst can use/select multiple MIDI controllers
otherwise chain the TMI and Nitro module together with a 5 pin MIDI cable.

EDIT:
Note: If you decide to chain an additional module/TMI for just the cymbals , you will need to make sure it is capable of reassigning MIDI notes and has a MIDI Thru feature as after checking... the Nitro (Medeli DD512/514/516) does not have a MIDI Thru feature mentioned and any MIDI being received may only be applied to it and not sent downstream,so it would need to be first in the chain.
I do not have one of these modules to check and see if it has even a soft MIDI Thru.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2022, 10:25:31 AM by Chaser »