Author Topic: Strike Pro module usb connection  (Read 807 times)

Strike Pro module usb connection
« on: January 16, 2022, 10:57:34 AM »

Are there any settings which must be done in the module to enable the usb port?

I have connected the module to my ipad, using the (working) usb connection which I previously used on my Crimson 2SE module, Melodics would immediately recognize the module and support it. But with the Strike module Melodics does not show any connected device and when I try manual config it says ?no midi device found??

Am I missing something or did I get a module with a broken usb port?

Offline Chaser

Re: Strike Pro module usb connection
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 12:11:48 PM »

Are there any settings which must be done in the module to enable the usb port?

I have connected the module to my ipad, using the (working) usb connection which I previously used on my Crimson 2SE module, Melodics would immediately recognize the module and support it. But with the Strike module Melodics does not show any connected device and when I try manual config it says ?no midi device found??

Am I missing something or did I get a module with a broken usb port?

Which Version iOS?..I show the STRIKE Module working in iOS 15.2..but only using a Camera Kit with Power connected to the Camera Kit..
The settings in Utility should be set to the Standard Drum Channel 10.
The Crimson II SE (Medeli DD650) Modules have a default MIDI Channel of 10..which is the Standard Channel for drums...
The STRIKE Module is different..the Main MIDI Channel is OMNI and each Voice has individual MIDI Channels with the Default MIDI Channel 1...(Standard Channel for Keyboards).

You'll need to go into each Voice and set the MIDI Channel to 10..
The easiest way is to select the default User Kit...assign all the Voice MIDI Channels to 10 and make sure the MIDI Notes are also assigned for Melodics then save/name it as Melodics Kit...You'll then have a Kit preset specifically for Melodics.

The MIDI Channel/Notes assignments apply to both Incoming and Outgoing MIDI.

EDIT:
I checked Melodics as I haven't been there in quite awhile..but I see they finally added support for the STRIKE Pro..but I can't tell you which lessons
(if any) support the extra Kit pieces

« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 12:30:18 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2022, 12:36:27 PM »

I got the usb to work. I had an old Windows 8 laptop lying around and it accepted the Strike editor and connected to the module. This created the appropriate folders on the sd card and I was able to copy some downloaded kits on to the module (including the ?acoustic kit? from this forum. Very nice to see how we can use the velocity to change the voice of the kit.

Melodics now recognized the module but a few instruments are mis-mapped. Tom 1 is recognized as crash 1 and crash 1 isn?t recognized at all. I?ll use your suggested method to create a Melodics kit. That sounds like the best way to move forward.

BTW: That Strike module is impressive. Should have gone this route months ago!

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 12:56:04 PM »

I got the usb to work. I had an old Windows 8 laptop lying around and it accepted the Strike editor and connected to the module. This created the appropriate folders on the sd card and I was able to copy some downloaded kits on to the module (including the ?acoustic kit? from this forum. Very nice to see how we can use the velocity to change the voice of the kit.

Melodics now recognized the module but a few instruments are mis-mapped. Tom 1 is recognized as crash 1 and crash 1 isn?t recognized at all. I?ll use your suggested method to create a Melodics kit. That sounds like the best way to move forward.

BTW: That Strike module is impressive. Should have gone this route months ago!

Personally I just make User kits to match Software/Vst Default/Standard Kit mapping and name as such..this way you never have to worry about selecting the proper Manufacture preset or if the MIDI was assigned properly.Some Vst's are a pain ... EZDrummer has different mapping for every kit..I posted about Melodics and STRIKE here.The main thing to note is Melodics uses the GM Standard...which does not support Rims so you could leave the MIDI alone for those ..
I don't know what instruments if any the MIDI assignments will play or if Melodics has the Standard Instruments assigned throughout the GM Standard..you may be able to assign some percussion to the Rims..
Check the MIDI assignments for General MIDI Drum Kit Map..(about 1/2 way down the page.)

EDIT:
You can also check this Topic as I posted the GM Standard and the STRIKE MIDI mapping so you can see what GM Standard Instrument matches the Default MIDI notes in the STRIKE module
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 01:14:42 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2022, 05:16:25 PM »

Personally I just make User kits to match Software/Vst Default/Standard Kit mapping and name as such..this way you never have to worry about selecting the proper Manufacture preset or if the MIDI was assigned properly. [?]
I don't know what instruments if any the MIDI assignments will play or if Melodics has the Standard Instruments assigned throughout the GM Standard..you may be able to assign some percussion to the Rims..
Check the MIDI assignments for General MIDI Drum Kit Map..(about 1/2 way down the page.)
I found the GM table already on the Melodics website and noticed it has no mappings for tom 4 or for the rims. Probably they won?t be used / covered in their beginner lessons. That?s fine with me, because once I get past the free lessons I?ll switch to Drumeo anyway.

I switched the midi channel from omni to 10 as per your suggestion and that already fixed the mappings which I thought were wrong. Everything works now straight out of the box.

Thanks, my friend. That was a great tip!

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2022, 05:38:14 PM »

Personally I just make User kits to match Software/Vst Default/Standard Kit mapping and name as such..this way you never have to worry about selecting the proper Manufacture preset or if the MIDI was assigned properly. [?]
I found the GM table already on the Melodics website and noticed it has no mappings for tom 4 or for the rims. Probably they won?t be used / covered in their beginner lessons. That?s fine with me, because once I get past the free lessons I?ll switch to Drumeo anyway.

I switched the midi channel from omni to 10 as per your suggestion and that already fixed the mappings which I thought were wrong. Everything works now straight out of the box.

Thanks, my friend. That was a great tip!

Glad to hear it...
I think it's when the module is in OMNI Mode is when the MIDI Channel assignments for the Voices becomes relevant...
I just always recommend setting all MIDI Channels to 10 as that is the Standard MIDI Channel for drums and nearly all software etc except for DAW's like Pro Tools as I believe the default is/was Channel 1 as DAW's were designed for Keyboards..haven't used Pro Tools in awhile.

EDIT:
If you are using an iPad there are some decent drum kits out there including Positive Grids X Drummer..which the Developer states it isn't compatible with an external controller..but it is if you know the tricks to make it work.... see this Topic

« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 06:04:39 PM by Chaser »