Author Topic: DM5 No power / Module swap?  (Read 1163 times)

DM5 No power / Module swap?
« on: June 08, 2022, 11:04:37 AM »
Hey everyone,

A little bit of backstory for ya... A buddy of mine bought an Alesis DM5 kit from someone a few days ago. He was able to test it while it was at the previous owner's house, and it worked perfectly fine (otherwise he would not have bought it). The previous owner had to keep his power supply to use on a different kit, so my buddy bought a couple of aftermarket power supplies, both AC/AC, 9v, etc., but with these power supplies the module won't power on at all! We tried using different outlets in the house and everything, and the power supplies are brand new so it's not like they're duds. No luck...

So I'm trying to find the OEM power supply or at least the best aftermarket replacement, assuming it's the PSUs' fault and not that the module suddenly is busted. I know it has to be an AC/AC adapter with the proper fitting and voltage, 9v and 110w I believe is the proper one. If I can get the proper PSU then I can go on to troubleshooting the module, such as the PSU input port, the chip, etc. etc.

I found a few candidates, hopefully one of you beautiful people can let me know which of these will work!

Both of these are listed under the DM5 on the website I see a lot of you referencing, but they don't seem to accept returns for electrical components so I can't just get both and return whichever doesn't work:
https://instrumentalparts.com/power-supply-7-40-0903/

https://instrumentalparts.com/power-supply-7-40-2007/

This one is something I found on Amazon which looks promising:
https://www.amazon.com/ABLEGRID-Adapter-Alesis-MEQ-230-A30910C/dp/B07P38HYN1

Someone please help me out, my buddy is willing to sell this kit to me for $50 so we can drum together! He's got his own kit and I'm trying to learn.
Thanks in advance! ...and sorry if this post is in the wrong place...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 04:46:25 PM by boss1138 »

Offline Chaser

Re: DM5 Power supply / No power
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2022, 01:33:14 PM »
Hey everyone,

A little bit of backstory for ya... A buddy of mine bought an Alesis DM5 kit from someone a few days ago. He was able to test it while it was at the previous owner's house, and it worked perfectly fine (otherwise he would not have bought it). The previous owner had to keep his power supply to use on a different kit, so my buddy bought a couple of aftermarket power supplies, both AC/AC, 9v, etc., but with these power supplies the module won't power on at all! We tried using different outlets in the house and everything, and the power supplies are brand new so it's not like they're duds. No luck...

So I'm trying to find the OEM power supply or at least the best aftermarket replacement, assuming it's the PSUs' fault and not that the module suddenly is busted. I know it has to be an AC/AC adapter with the proper fitting and voltage, 9v and 110w I believe is the proper one. If I can get the proper PSU then I can go on to troubleshooting the module, such as the PSU input port, the chip, etc. etc.

I found a few candidates, hopefully one of you beautiful people can let me know which of these will work!

Both of these are listed under the DM5 on the website I see a lot of you referencing, but they don't seem to accept returns for electrical components so I can't just get both and return whichever doesn't work:
https://instrumentalparts.com/power-supply-7-40-0903/

https://instrumentalparts.com/power-supply-7-40-2007/

This one is something I found on Amazon which looks promising:
https://www.amazon.com/ABLEGRID-Adapter-Alesis-MEQ-230-A30910C/dp/B07P38HYN1

Someone please help me out, my buddy is willing to sell this kit to me for $50 so we can drum together! He's got his own kit and I'm trying to learn.
Thanks in advance! ...and sorry if this post is in the wrong place...

The links to Instrumental parts are for 2 different Power Adapters with different voltages for different Countries..PX3.."110" = 110 volt..PX3 "220" = 220 volt....there is also a 240V for Australia.
Most companies don't accept returns on electrical , especially if you are indicating buying a 110 volt and 220 volt and want to return one that doesn't work..one will fry the module.

For a reputable seller and not guessing on Amazon..Quality.. etc
Pixel Pro Audio sells a DM5 PSU direct replacement..available on Reverb etc etc

Also the DM5 has an internal Backup Battery/Coin Cell which is soldered in...if it's never been replaced or modified with a Cell Coin holder the unit won't hold memory/settings etc. (DM5 released 1996)

The final DM5 Firmware update (EPROM Firmware v1.02)..available on Reverb etc etc

Additional Links
All documentation,DM5 Drum Module - Sound Chart,DM5 Sysex/MIDI Implementation Guide,DM5 Pro Kit - Updated Kit Presets for the DM5 Pro Kit etc etc

DM5 Drum Module

DM5 Kit

DM5 Pro Kit

DM5 Reference Manual

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2022, 01:38:19 PM »
Thank you so much for all this information!!! I just found that PSU today as well so I will give it a shot and come back here with results

Thanks again

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2022, 03:55:07 PM »
Update:

I got the power supply unit from Reverb but it still won't power on. I opened up the module and didn't see anything immediately wrong such as blown resistors or capacitors. Is it possible the power input needs replacing? If so, how can I fix this?

Anyone else ever have their DM5 suddenly just not turn on?

Re: DM5 No power / Module swap?
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2022, 04:47:19 PM »
Is it possible to swap the module out on my dm5 kit for a different kit's module? If so, which would be compatible? Dmlite, Dm nitro, dm surge, dm10, etc etc

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2022, 10:56:06 AM »
Update:

I got the power supply unit from Reverb but it still won't power on. I opened up the module and didn't see anything immediately wrong such as blown resistors or capacitors. Is it possible the power input needs replacing? If so, how can I fix this?

Anyone else ever have their DM5 suddenly just not turn on?

It's hard to tell when dealing with equipment over 20 years old.
If the unit is dead..none of the below will be much help.A lot of problems were related to the internal battery going bad.

Simple Solutions..sometimes they work..

Disconnect all cables (in case of any bad cables..some modules protect themselves if a cable has a short)..Power up

You could also try a Factory Reset.
To re-initialize the DM5, hold down both the [VOICE] and [OUTPUT] buttons while turning on the power.
Once the power is turned on, immediately release both buttons.
The display will momentarily read: ?Initializing...?

The internal test/diagnostics routines are initiated by powering up the module while holding the "MIDI" and "DRUMSET" buttons simultaneously.
Use the "MIDI" button to advance to the next test.

The internal individual tests: power up holding down "DRUMSET" and "GROUP" buttons - use Value Dial to select test - press Store to start test - after test is complete choose another test or press "MIX" and "OUTPUT" to exit.

Attached:
DM5 Service Manual...
Common Solutions..
Section/Chapter..7.00.. pg 15

Is it possible to swap the module out on my dm5 kit for a different kit's module? If so, which would be compatible? Dmlite, Dm nitro, dm surge, dm10, etc etc

The DM5 triggers are for the most part.. single zone , majority of the modules would work you just won't have the dual zone features.
The modules you posted also vary from individual cables or DB25 (snake) trigger harness.
Settings etc will vary depending which DM5 kit you have.. rubber pad or Realhead triggers..as there is different firmware for those types.

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2022, 11:46:00 AM »

You could also try a Factory Reset.
To re-initialize the DM5, hold down both the [VOICE] and [OUTPUT] buttons while turning on the power.
Once the power is turned on, immediately release both buttons.
The display will momentarily read: ?Initializing...?

The internal test/diagnostics routines are initiated by powering up the module while holding the "MIDI" and "DRUMSET" buttons simultaneously.
Use the "MIDI" button to advance to the next test.

The internal individual tests: power up holding down "DRUMSET" and "GROUP" buttons - use Value Dial to select test - press Store to start test - after test is complete choose another test or press "MIX" and "OUTPUT" to exit.

I will definitely give this a shot today after work! Already tried unplugging everything with no result, but a reset could do it.

The DM5 triggers are for the most part.. single zone , majority of the modules would work you just won't have the dual zone features.
The modules you posted also vary from individual cables or DB25 (snake) trigger harness.
Settings etc will vary depending which DM5 kit you have.. rubber pad or Realhead triggers..as there is different firmware for those types.

Copy that, thanks for the info! I've got access to acoustic sets at my church for more comprehensive practice and will mainly be using the electric set for learning muscle memory and building technique anyway so I won't need much in the way of features. I'm watching a DM Lite module + wire snake on Ebay, hoping I can use that to get some sound out of my pads. Would you be able to comment on that combination by chance?

Offline Chaser

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2022, 01:04:34 PM »
Copy that, thanks for the info! I've got access to acoustic sets at my church for more comprehensive practice and will mainly be using the electric set for learning muscle memory and building technique anyway so I won't need much in the way of features. I'm watching a DM Lite module + wire snake on Ebay, hoping I can use that to get some sound out of my pads. Would you be able to comment on that combination by chance?

The DM Lite was discontinued (all info removed from Alesis website) and basically replaced with the Debut , E-Drum Total and Turbo.
The module for these kits is based on the Medeli DD401...which (out of all the 30+ Kits/modules in the Medeli lineup) is 2nd to last.
These are beginner/minimal kits and the module has very little in the way of settings.
The main concern I would also have is the kits are very small and the DB25 trigger harnesses are a fixed length and may be too short for a kit with a larger footprint.The product photos use little kids so it's hard to get an actual size , but you get the idea.
For the price range I am seeing on ebay..$75-100..I would avoid these modules along with the original DM6.
The DM6 has a switch in the back that allows the choice of a pad or switch type pedal for the kick which is nice but there were many harnesses over the years including 1/8" cables instead of 1/4" which you have to watch for.
You could more than likely pickup a used Nitro/Surge/DM7X (Medeli DD512/514/516) module/harness in the same range...NEVER Purchase a module without a harness unless the module is for exact replacement.The harness separately can end up being more expensive.

EDIT:
Added Links

« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 01:38:37 PM by Chaser »

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2022, 05:48:36 PM »
Perfect, thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for. Any chance you know where the Alesis Forge falls in the useable vs. not useable lineup?

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2022, 05:50:54 PM »
Unfortunately, no results from trying the factory reset or individual test methods... Still dead as a doorknob

Offline Chaser

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2022, 10:37:39 PM »
Perfect, thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for. Any chance you know where the Alesis Forge falls in the useable vs. not useable lineup?

The Forge ..along with the Command/Crimson/II/DM10 MKII Studio..is based on the Medeli DD650.
These modules all use the same DB25 trigger harness but different firmware...and you can't change or upgrade the firmware.
The best of the DD650 modules is the Original Crimson..Dual zone/Triple zone Ride,supports a Dual Zone Hi Hat and has the best MIDI mapping.
The Crimson II has the same Features as the Crimson except it does not support a Dual zone Hi Hat..and the MIDI mapping for the Hi Hat is tied to one note..I posted a work-around for it,but I don't know of anyone that has tried it as there have been no replies.The cymbal bows/edges are also tied to one note.There is also a Pro-X setting in the menu but the Pro-X was discontinued years ago.
The DM10 MKII Studio is identical to the Crimson II..just different display color and no setting/support for the Pro-X Hi Hat

The Command is dual zone..except the Ride which is single zone..along with Hi Hat.

The Forge is All single zone,except maybe the snare the only place for info is here now...and it's the one to skip out of the DD650 models.

The Crimson/II..Forge..DM10 MKII Studio were all pulled from the Alesis site and all info was removed from Legacy except for the
 Crimson II.
The Crimson II SE is a Guitar Center issue..you won't find any info on it anywhere except in posts here,Guitar Center and some overseas distributors.

ALL of the original STRIKE KITS..STRIKE and STRIKE PRO KIT have also been Discontinued and are now in Legacy..

The STRIKE PRO SE is the only remaining kit..but I wouldn't count on any more updates for the Module/Editor as the last were 3 years ago when the SE was released.(2019).
The DM10 MKII Pro is past due and the STRIKE Multipad (2018) is coming up on 5 years and hasn't been updated in years...
The pretty much sums up Alesis current status..

The STRIKE Series,along with the models posted above reached End of Life...which these days for Electronic drums is about 5 years.
The STRIKE Series didn't receive much support for a number of those years..maybe 2-3 years max and the 1st year or 2 there were numerous hardware problems.
One recent exception to note would be Roland chose to do an update/Upgrade to the Flagship TD50 in order to extend it's life..(TD50X)

EDIT:
Added Links
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 12:28:30 AM by Chaser »

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2022, 11:59:53 AM »
I went ahead and got a Forge kit at a great price, and put all my DM5 heads on the Forge frame with the Forge module. It all works perfectly, although as you noted, it is single-zone.
Thanks for the help, I've been practicing some and can't wait to keep learning!