Author Topic: How to record MIDI with Alesis Command Mesh and Ableton Live 11 Intro?  (Read 2058 times)

Hi everyone!

As the title suggests, can I please ask how should I go about recording MIDI with an Alesis Command Mesh and Ableton Live 11 Intro software? I've worked out how to record just audio sound 'waves', but I'd like more versatility with post-production in terms of being able to change sounds how I like, quantize etc.

I am currently using a Macbook pro (temporary replacement for my MSI Stealth that's in the repair shop!) so currently using the Core Audio drive that comes with it. (For PC I used the Asio4All driver and that also worked for basic audio recording).
The trouble is I have no idea how to record using MIDI. Can I do mapping in Ableton itself (I feel like I've seen a section for it where you assign sounds to different pads or 'notes', can I do this to assign drum sounds according to the pads I hit on my Command kit?)?

Thanks if you can help! I am very much a beginner at this, so apologies for not understanding any jargon!

Offline Chaser

Re: How to record MIDI with Alesis Command Mesh and Ableton Live 11 Intro?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2021, 02:50:46 PM »
Hi everyone!

As the title suggests, can I please ask how should I go about recording MIDI with an Alesis Command Mesh and Ableton Live 11 Intro software? I've worked out how to record just audio sound 'waves', but I'd like more versatility with post-production in terms of being able to change sounds how I like, quantize etc.

I am currently using a Macbook pro (temporary replacement for my MSI Stealth that's in the repair shop!) so currently using the Core Audio drive that comes with it. (For PC I used the Asio4All driver and that also worked for basic audio recording).
The trouble is I have no idea how to record using MIDI. Can I do mapping in Ableton itself (I feel like I've seen a section for it where you assign sounds to different pads or 'notes', can I do this to assign drum sounds according to the pads I hit on my Command kit?)?

Thanks if you can help! I am very much a beginner at this, so apologies for not understanding any jargon!

Here are the steps for the Crimson module Alesis Crimson Mesh Kit - Setup with Ableton Live Lite
The Command/Crimson/II/DM10 MKII Studio/Forge are all based on the Medeli DD650.

This is the same procedure for practically all drum modules in Ableton Live Lite..
The MIDI note assignments are in the User Guide and vary module to module or use the MIDI learn in Ableton.
Then check the Ableton Forum if additional questions.

Alesis Command Mesh User Guide v1.3