Author Topic: Original Strike Pro Hi-Hat VS Strike Pro SE Hi-Hat  (Read 3526 times)

Offline DannyM

Original Strike Pro Hi-Hat VS Strike Pro SE Hi-Hat
« on: January 05, 2022, 05:36:21 PM »
Hello Everyone,
 I have been looking to upgrade my Hi-Hat to a Strike version, but looking at photos of the first Strike edition, it looks like there was a top hat & bottom hat, where the SE version appears to only be a top hat on the stand.
Is this so, & if so, is the SE version better?
Thanks in advance.

Offline Chaser

Re: Original Strike Pro Hi-Hat VS Strike Pro SE Hi-Hat
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2022, 10:35:13 AM »
Hello Everyone,
 I have been looking to upgrade my Hi-Hat to a Strike version, but looking at photos of the first Strike edition, it looks like there was a top hat & bottom hat, where the SE version appears to only be a top hat on the stand.
Is this so, & if so, is the SE version better?
Thanks in advance.

The Original STRIKE/Pro Hi Hat is/was a 12" (2) pc Dual Zone (FSR) Hi Hat...based off the Pro-X  (Single Zone - FSR - Discontinued) from years ago.
The bottom cymbal has 3 sensors (open/closed) which the top cymbal pressed down on and for the most part users didn't setup properly and Alesis support wasn't exactly helpful on explaining the bottom cymbals function so it was discarded and replaced by a longer/stronger chrome spring.

The STRIKE Pro Kit SE Kit.. Alesis replaced the 12" (2) pc Hi Hat assembly with a single 14" cymbal(basically another crash cymbal with the flat center piece from the 12" (to accommodate the spring) and a boot to cover the Hi Hat controller(FSR) and spring...both use the same Hi hat controller which is also the same Hi Hat controller that came with the Pro-X.
The STRIKE Hi Hats are getting harder to find separately and more expensive.

Offline DannyM

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 02:28:26 PM »
Thanks so much for the response !

If you had to recommend a non-Alesis Hi-Hat, which would you recommend?

I use the Strike module, so that is what I would hook it up to.

Thanks again for your help !

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 01:27:25 PM »
Thanks so much for the response !

If you had to recommend a non-Alesis Hi-Hat, which would you recommend?

I use the Strike module, so that is what I would hook it up to.

Thanks again for your help !

Non Alesis Hi Hats (Roland etc) have a different range than Alesis.Roland is in the 0-20kOhm...Alesis 0-77kOhm...no clue on Lemon Hi Hats I would presume they too are in the Roland range...Yamaha won't work.About a year or so ago Goedrum came out with a controller for Alesis...it uses a slide pot.The range determines how the Hi Hat transitions though the module/samples

A lot depends on how you use a Hi Hat and style/genre.A jazz player or dynamics player wants an accurate full range Hi Hat.
A Rock/metal drummer may only need simpler features.There is also the added expense of a stand and space if you desire a traditional setup.The STRIKE module has individual cables so that's not a problem..other modules with DB25 trigger harnesses and/or smaller racks will have to use extension cables and a cramped area especially if the snare is on a stand.
There is an increasing number of kit owners that are now upgrading the the STRIKE module since it became available separately

I have seen where some users went through the process of "having to have" the traditional stand setup and later found that a fixed Hi Hat with A DMHat pedal(OpenClosed-Switch type) worked for their style of playing.There are even some that now use a fixed Hi Hat/DMHat Pedal with the STRIKE.
The Alesis DMHat pedal(Open/Closed-Switch type) Alesis Realhat is Continuous/variable softpot..the Alesis STRIKE/pro-X controller is FSR.They all are basically the same range (except switch type)..just different techniques for the transition..switch is just that..softpot/pedal requires constant pressure and FSR is pedal position/spring-plunger
A number of Hi Hats Controllers "work"..but that doesn't guarantee it will "work well" and just because it may work for one doesn't gurrantee it will work for others.Roland has a $1K Digital Hi Hat and it's not praised as the fix all by everyone.

It's best to use the Hi Hat controller specific for the manufacturer..you can use different top cymbals.
An example would be there are many that use the VH12 top as it's reported to have better sensitivity..just make sure if you go that route whichever top you use is compatible with the controller(if you are using a stand)...ie Roland Hi Hat tops have a pivot for Roland's clutch.Alesis are flat centers for a standard clutch,if you use a cymbal such as a crash check the center to see if a clutch will work..cymbals usually have a center that can pivot so the cymbal "swings"..and a clutch won't fit.The STRIKE series cymbals have interchangeable centers.

The STRIKE HH setups (when available) on ebay etc are usually overpriced..
Check Instrumentals Parts..the assmembly is around $200 and they have flat rate shipping..
Always Email/Contact/Check stock before purchasing..ask questions if the image isn't available.
There is no image for the STRIKE HH assembly but the part number is for the complete assembly..so ask to be sure.
They don't carry any parts for the SE as of this time.

12" Hi Hat Cymbal Pad Assembly - Alesis - 102150219-A

"Shipping rates are FLAT rate per complete order.Same cost no matter what the order size or value.
Standard Shipping (Inside USA): $8.99 Usually 1 - 5 Business Days.Tracking number provided, but tracking is limited.
Tracking shows when items ships and when the item is delivered.If you require strict tracking please select Next Day Air method."

You could also check the STRIKE group on Facebook as seems the majority of STRIKE Owners went to Social media and see if anyone has similar setup/playing style/genre and what Hi Hat they actually use..if other than the STRIKE.
I can't tell you if the group is for STRIKE Kit owners only or if there is an "approval" process.I am not a member (I don't belong to any Social media at all)

Offline DannyM

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2022, 02:21:04 PM »
Thanks for the information Chaser  !!
You have been a great help !!

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2022, 01:33:40 PM »
Will the strike hi hat work with the DM10.  I'm basically using the DM10 as a trigger module for Addictive Drums on PC.

Thanks