Author Topic: Issues with triggering the SMP from external gear.  (Read 1170 times)

Issues with triggering the SMP from external gear.
« on: May 16, 2020, 03:29:04 PM »
Hello!

I've been having issues with my SMP and support had ignored me for the past week so I'm basically searching everywhere like a maniac for a solution.

I noticed it when I tried to sequence the multipad using my Motif ES8, whenever I try to play the SMP using the keyboard or the sequencer, with the midi first recorder from the SMP, I get an unplayable amount of note dropouts. The multipad send midi to the Motif just fine but it receives only every other note.

I then tried with an elektron digitone and this time it simply didn't receive midi data from the digitone at all, it still sent just fine.

Next, using it with an mpc seems to play just fine, this made me question if the problem might come from using it with a keyboard but I don't see why that would be a problem. Then again, the same issues came up whether I was sequecing with midi data from the SMP or using the keyboard.

In all cases, I made sure that the midi channels were matching and that the 5pin to usb setting was off. I also played with the settings with the motif and digitone but it never made a difference.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Chaser

Re: Issues with triggering the SMP from external gear.
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2020, 07:57:43 PM »
Hello!

I've been having issues with my SMP and support had ignored me for the past week so I'm basically searching everywhere like a maniac for a solution.

I noticed it when I tried to sequence the multipad using my Motif ES8, whenever I try to play the SMP using the keyboard or the sequencer, with the midi first recorder from the SMP, I get an unplayable amount of note dropouts. The multipad send midi to the Motif just fine but it receives only every other note.

I then tried with an elektron digitone and this time it simply didn't receive midi data from the digitone at all, it still sent just fine.

Next, using it with an mpc seems to play just fine, this made me question if the problem might come from using it with a keyboard but I don't see why that would be a problem. Then again, the same issues came up whether I was sequecing with midi data from the SMP or using the keyboard.

In all cases, I made sure that the midi channels were matching and that the 5pin to usb setting was off. I also played with the settings with the motif and digitone but it never made a difference.

Thanks in advance.

As far as MIDI...there is no implementation chart for the SMP...I have requested and received the "Not public information" response..
The SMP is extremely limited..note on/off and program change for kit change only..that's it,so if you are including/sending more MIDI data than the above the SMP simply can't interpret it...The SMP does not support aftertouch....
Maybe Alesis will add more MIDI support or at least a basic implementation chart , but based on requests with previous products I wouldn't count on it..

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 09:57:25 AM »
That's a shame, it suppose it would also support clock messages since it's mentioned in the settings? I'll try to disable most of the sent information to see if it makes a difference. I'm kind of confused as to why playing sequencer data recorded from the SMP would be an issue and I don't have a clue why it would work with the mpc since it has pressure sensitivity which AFAIK would be the same as aftertouch.

Would these incompatibility issues actually cause problems receiving the compatible note on/off messages? I find it weird that the SMP received some notes and dropped others with the motif.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2020, 01:17:09 PM »
That's a shame, it suppose it would also support clock messages since it's mentioned in the settings? I'll try to disable most of the sent information to see if it makes a difference. I'm kind of confused as to why playing sequencer data recorded from the SMP would be an issue and I don't have a clue why it would work with the mpc since it has pressure sensitivity which AFAIK would be the same as aftertouch.

Would these incompatibility issues actually cause problems receiving the compatible note on/off messages? I find it weird that the SMP received some notes and dropped others with the motif.

I spent some time a year or so ago trying to go through all the MIDI...seeing what is sent and received ..tried all the different CC info to check parameter changes etc..not much luck.
I haven't checked to see if anything new was added with v1.2,still waiting for the User Guide update.
As far as the MIDI Clock/sync...I believe the SMP sends and receives but I think the complaints were that it was 1/2 beat off or only up to 280 BPM...something like that.
I don't use those features.I use the SMP as an Audio/MIDI hub..TMI  and a preamp for the STRIKE Module and the USB Bidirectional Audio Streaming which worked great using an iPad... until iOS 13

There was someone at Ableton Drummer who supposedly created a "Live Device" for the SMP..
 MIDI remoting things meaning controlling functions like play,stop, tap tempo etc..but I never got around to checking to see what it exactly does or a MIDI Chart.
http://blog.abletondrummer.com/alesis-strike-multipad-review/

« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 01:41:36 PM by Chaser »