Author Topic: Nitro mesh midi oddity  (Read 996 times)

Nitro mesh midi oddity
« on: January 10, 2020, 09:21:16 AM »
Does anybody else think it odd that the manual for the Nitro Mesh kit lists midi values for the rims on the toms, when the toms are single zone, and therefore do not even register rim hits? :)

Just a little frustrated here. My wife got me the Nitro Mesh because I hadn't played in about 25 years, and sort of missed it. I discovered I could connect it to a computer to drive a DAW and VST plugins.   I was looking forward to using the rims for extra expandability of drum voices and samples, and then realized the manual was faking me out.  :) I'm now thinking about buying some used dual-zone pads, to customize my kit for more flexibility in the voices.

Be well
-UF

Offline Hellfire

Re: Nitro mesh midi oddity
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2020, 09:32:42 AM »
Does anybody else think it odd that the manual for the Nitro Mesh kit lists midi values for the rims on the toms, when the toms are single zone, and therefore do not even register rim hits? :)

Just a little frustrated here. My wife got me the Nitro Mesh because I hadn't played in about 25 years, and sort of missed it. I discovered I could connect it to a computer to drive a DAW and VST plugins.   I was looking forward to using the rims for extra expandability of drum voices and samples, and then realized the manual was faking me out.  :) I'm now thinking about buying some used dual-zone pads, to customize my kit for more flexibility in the voices.

Be well
-UF

Welcome to the forum UF!
The manual may be correct (sort of) but, the cables and pads may not be set-up to use the rims. Getting dualzone pads is fine but keep in mind that the dual zone function only works if you have three things:

1) The modules programing gives you access to those MIDI notes
2) The cable snake with your kit has the proper connector (meaning a TRS plug)
3) And you have a dual zone pad.

If you lack anyone of those three you will not get dual zone out of a dual zone pad.

Again, welcome to the forum!

Re: Nitro mesh midi oddity
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 09:29:38 PM »
Yeah, I get that. The module can handle the capability. The wiring harness can handle the capability. It's just that Alesis didn't include tom pads that can handle the capability. I just found that kind of funny.

I seriously doubted I would use rim sounds on the snare, so I am using the snare pad in the first tom position, and using the rim there as a trigger for some programmed sounds in my DAW software.

I guess they just included the information in the event that people wanted to replace their single zone pads with dual zone pads, which I have started doing, so I can essentially add sounds the kit won't to support in its off-the-shelf configuration. This will give me a lot more flexibility in the sounds I can get without having to switch kits in the DAW software.  That software is also allowing me to have a China cymbal, which the Nitro module doesn't seem to have.

Be well
-UF