Author Topic: more drums!  (Read 2639 times)

Offline AlanK

more drums!
« on: August 21, 2018, 01:12:37 PM »
Just felt like sharing, cuz you never can have too many drums in your life, right?

My buddies and I are supposed to play an hour or so at a friend's birthday party this weekend. I use a big Sonor kit at one of the guy's places to practice/jam, and a big beast of a Ludwig at another guy's place.. I have my big Alesis but there's no way I'm dismantling it all and carting it to a big birthday bash.. and don't really enjoy their big acoustic drums so I rented a Mapex Armory kit at our local music store (Long & McQuade) for a month.

Got it set up across from my DM10X and had two of the lads over last weekend to practice.. the room is getting tight but we managed to squeeze in and had fun. I'm saving up to buy myself an acoustic set now that I've lived in the townhouse I bought over a year and my two attached neighbours are totally cool with us banging out down there.. but this gives me a chance to try a few types of kits out before I invest in a decent acoustic set for myself.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2018, 01:20:35 PM by AlanK »
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Re: more drums!
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 06:07:57 AM »
That is a beautiful looking acoustic set there. I wanted to add that you most definitely can have too many drums. I live in a fifth wheel RV and I have a Command set and there is barely enough room to set them up. I could not add one drum to the set. :(

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 01:44:45 PM »
Man, that is a sweet kit!
I must say, though...
I took my first week with my DM10X kit adjusting how I fasten the cable snake to the rack and lay out my drums, etc., so that it folds up nicely (after packing up the drum and cymbal pads, of course), and have since been taking it down and setting it up almost daily.

After being an acoustic player for many (many) years, I revel in how easily this all fits into my van!

I did a casual take-down of my fully setup kit to time it for scheduling purposes. Half hour.

That same day I did a casual set up of the kit (at the gig - including unloading from the van). Half hour.

Since then I've used that timing idea for knowing when to leave home, arrive at the gig, etc., etc., and it works great! Sounds A-Fricken-Mazing through the PA too! :)

Taking my time, it takes a half an hour to go from this

to this

In my van, the two cases lay flat on the floor covered by my gig rug. Then I put the folded rack and throne on top of that. Easy, fast, and fun!

Since taking those pictures, I've added a Sample Pad Pro to the mix for an extra eight triggers - midi to the DM10 module. Nice! It's an eight-pad ride cymbal now with all of the little extras I didn't want to sacrifice my rims for! LOL
Alesis DM10X Mesh - Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Strike Module
Dartanbeck.com Digital Artist

Offline AlanK

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 04:26:34 PM »
wow, what an amazing setup and storage solution you've come up with! I'm in awe! Well done, brother :)
DM10X with Addictive Drums 2, Pro X hi-hat, 4 crashes, foam cone conversion w Roland mesh heads, Laurin Drums snare and kick, Mapex P710W double kick pedal, Mapex 2 legged hi-hat, Behringer 8 channel USB mixer, Tascam 144MK AI, Samson Expedition Escape powered speakers

Offline Dartanbeck

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2018, 12:14:10 PM »
wow, what an amazing setup and storage solution you've come up with! I'm in awe! Well done, brother :)
Thanks!
It makes it easy for my drums to be wherever I am!  :)
Alesis DM10X Mesh - Laurin Drums & Cymbals - Strike Module
Dartanbeck.com Digital Artist