Author Topic: Strike Editor working on MacOS 12?  (Read 1220 times)

Strike Editor working on MacOS 12?
« on: December 08, 2021, 02:25:56 PM »
When it launches a just get a grey screen for the editor.  The strike module is 1.5   Thanks.

Re: Strike Editor working on MacOS 12?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2021, 02:29:25 PM »
I think I have heard from several people that the Strike Editor does not work on Big Sur or later (Monterey).

Offline Chaser

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2021, 03:28:17 PM »
The rule for Audio and Video/graphics and any hardware associated is to always check/wait for the developer/manufacturer before updating..especially with Apple the past couple years and the move to 64 bit only.

There are many developers/manufacturers still behind on masOS 11 Big Sur from COVID and the government paying more to stay home and macOS 12 Monterery has only been out a little over a month...

Alesis | macOS 11 Big Sur and iOS14 Compatibility

Alesis | macOS 12 Monterey Compatibility

You can see all the developers/manufacturers that are behind in the compatibility lists provided by Sweetwater..and there are many that still haven't caught up to Big Sur..let alone Monterey...the list is updated frequently

macOS 11 Big Sur compatibility list

macOS 12 Monterey compatibility list

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2021, 03:38:43 PM »
Big Sur has been out for over a year.
They should also list this on their product pages.

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2021, 11:20:12 PM »
It's super frustrating, but it is what it is. I'm a relatively late adopter of the Strike (out since 2017, I think?) and a relatively early adopter of Apple's M1 chip. It's not a good combination, lol. I really want to experiment with the main selling point of the Strike, which in my mind is the ability to load multilayer samples, but without the Strike Editor, I'm stuck. Part of me is frustrated with Alesis, as the M1 has been out for over a year at this point, and they won't even announce if they're working on a compatibility update or not. But as Chaser mentioned, Alesis is hardly alone here - Apple sort of pulled the rug out from under all of us, and it's going to take time for everything to get sorted. This is a pretty revolutionary step for Apple - consider that OS X (which was eventually renamed macOS 10) was around for practically 20 YEARS before being replaced by macOS 11 (Big Sur), which was in turn replaced one year later with macOS 12 (Monterey).

Anyway, I really want to get the most out of this Strike module, but I'm afraid I'm probably better off returning it and going back to my Roland/Superior Drummer combo, and maybe waiting to see what Alesis has in store for the Strike 2.0 (whatever it will be called, if such a thing will even be).

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2021, 08:11:53 AM »
Good points. However I agree I will be selling mine. If Alesis currently only supports an operating system that?s three versions old, there is no way they are going to keep up the support for future versions.
Plus the way you have to load samples is kludgey anyway. Why not just load the, right from the ssd card?

Offline Chaser

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2021, 10:32:44 AM »
The module itself will probably be recognized.
I can confirm a number of Alesis drum modules/class compliant drivers work in iOS 15.If connected directly...USB audio isn't working with certain "camera kits".
The issue for macOS is security/permissions and gatekeeper.
It is more difficult for developers since Apple went 64 bit only,stricter code signing/certificates and multiple malware checks etc also the app submitted has to support both Intel and ARM and to be considered "fully supported" or an "Optomized App" for M1.
The v1.1.3 STRIKE Editor is for 64 bit macOS.You could try and allow the app (You could run your Intel computer offline if security concerns) as long as it's not Silicon otherwise for Silicon you can try Rosseta 2 to run an Intel app or just wait for developers and Apple to approve the submitted app which over the past couple years apps have to be approved/re-signed etc each and every OS release.

For years a large amount of developers didn't have Mac support and then started adding it.Hardware developers/manufacturers got tired of the changes,screen sizes,multiple connectors..firewire/400/800..lightning..thunderbolt/USB-C.iOS hardware started off strong.. docks etc..now you don't see much at all.
It takes at least a couple years(concept to completion) for a hardware product to be released and the risk/reward isn't there.
Apple eventually,..supposedly.. will allow Silicon systems to run the same apps.. macOS or iPadOS.
Until then you may see support eventually once again be dropped by developers if they have to spend time/resources to re-code their apps  (especially plugins) every year.
Apple focus is on their main source of revenue (2/3)...the iPhone..

One thing to note is the M1 is limited/maxed out at 16GB Ram and no external GPU can be used and it does not support Virtual Box or Vagrant.
I borrowed a M1 8GB for a test drive and my experience was more like this review for coding..
I currently have a few of the older/last of the i7 w 32/64gb Ram that are still user friendly (upgradeable/replaceable parts)..the M1X and M2 chips will support more Ram,have more GPU cores and support an external monitor.
When apps finally become cross platform I may develop/release some of my own (MIDI 2.0) (I still build apps as a hobby for private use/Test Flight and can invite up to 10,000 testers ..but builds are only good for 90 days)I won't be purchasing a Silicon mac until then.

Drum modules are Instruments/players not computers and do not have the processing power or Ram to load up to 127 velocities..sort the ranges apply processing (FX) then turn it all into/save as an instrument.
The STRIKE Editor isn't a simple offline editor that mimics the module functions,it works in conjunction (hardware Check) with the STRIKE module and loads/processes the samples from the SD Card, then saves to the Kit/Instrument locations.The computer does all the editing but the module may be doing the FX processing.
It would be ideal if the STRIKE Editor worked as a Standalone instead of requiring the hardware(module) there probably would have been a 3rd party library market.I am sure it could be done with the SD card alone..may be without FX processing.
The hardware check may have also been intended for Lic/SN check for additional libraries.

InMusic acquired FXPansion/BFD3 and John Emrich(FXPansion/NFUZD) is Alesis Product manager so IF there is anything like a STRIKE 2..I suspect it will be hardware along the lines of the BFD Eco/NFUZD (Failed) and proprietary..or maybe an OS update for the STRIKE to proprietary.
They(InMusic) are not going to distribute/release multi-velocity BFD3 wav libraries.

Then again I thought when the (Alesis/InMusic) STRIKE was released it would have a relation with the (AIR/InMusic) Strike Drum Software.......nope

EDIT:
Added links
« Last Edit: December 10, 2021, 11:08:13 AM by Chaser »

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2023, 04:06:57 PM »
It has now been 16 months since the last post on this.
Strike Editor STILL does not work on MacOS 12 (or 13)
Alesis support site says "In Testing"

Is there any hope at all that Alesis/InMusic will actually update their software?