Author Topic: HF-1 Zero XTalk Bar Trigger (Roland BT-1)  (Read 4203 times)

Offline Hellfire

HF-1 Zero XTalk Bar Trigger (Roland BT-1)
« on: June 25, 2013, 09:40:18 PM »
I posted this over at Vdrums.com a few months back because of the excitement of the new Roland BT-1 zero Xtalk bar Trigger. Well, I came up with my own and it will work on the DM10/8. Here's a pic:

For more info check out:

HF-1 Zero XTalk Bar Trigger (Roland BT-1)

Offline MechanEvil

Re: HF-1 Zero XTalk Bar Trigger (Roland BT-1)
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 04:59:11 AM »
Any progress with building one of these, Hellfire? It's interesting from a scientific point of view, but I really wouldn't want to use smaller rubber pads than the 8" DMpad ones!
Warrior poet, guitar vocalist bassist drummer
... and inventor of the three-legged setup

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 12:03:15 PM »
Any progress with building one of these, Hellfire? It's interesting from a scientific point of view, but I really wouldn't want to use smaller rubber pads than the 8" DMpad ones!

If you are asking if it works the answer is yes. I've built a prof of concept that works. I don't show prof of concept works because it doesn't look like a finished product and people tend to have a hard time seeing unfinished products. Keep in mind the above schematic is half of this:

Alesis DM10, DM8 Velocity Switch Zone Triggering

And the velocity switch zone circuit (which the HF-1 circuit is half of) was demonstrated here:

Alesis DM10, Pearl REDbox Velocity Switch Triggering

and I demonstrated this again with a modified Pearl ePro trigger (which uses a switch for the rim):

Pearl ePro Live Variable Rim Velocity Test#1

So, the concept is sound and works. I hope that helps.

Offline MechanEvil

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 02:38:21 PM »
I noticed that you mentioned you were putting together a prototype in your blog. Good for you!
Warrior poet, guitar vocalist bassist drummer
... and inventor of the three-legged setup

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 01:13:48 AM »
I was looking to build some bar triggers and I think I have found a way to make them look pretty as well. I was looking for info and checked here first of course. I was thinking about just mounting a piezo inside the bar and just isolating the mounting method from vibrations. Any reason I should use the switch method instead?
Alesis DM10 Studio with mesh head conversion, Crush Drums and Percussion Artist, Vic Firth Artist, Istanbul Cymbals Artist

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 08:13:06 AM »
I was looking to build some bar triggers and I think I have found a way to make them look pretty as well. I was looking for info and checked here first of course. I was thinking about just mounting a piezo inside the bar and just isolating the mounting method from vibrations. Any reason I should use the switch method instead?

What you suggest is just fine. The purpose of the HF-1 is to mimic the Roland BT-1. You will still have to adjust for cross talk with your version, but if you add the switch, there will be zero cross talk. Hence the name HF-1 Zero Xtalk Bar Trigger.