Author Topic: So my DM10 Pro came in today.  (Read 11376 times)

Offline mazzith

Re: So my DM10 Pro came in today.
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2010, 12:19:51 PM »
The kit is a lot smaller then I expected. Its 5 feet wide (at least mine is because I have one of the rack mount sides kicked out to position my floor tom better, and about 3.5 feet deep. I was able to have it fit in this corner of my room I was not expecting.

The toms now are fine, but mesh is a lot better and if your not concerned with becoming a DIY'er then you can convert these to mesh pretty cheap vs. buying mesh heads. I been awaiting a response from Hellfire to see how he did his but considered looking else now as I want to change them out by next week and not sure when he will have the video up.

I seen a few dif ways to do it. I am not sure which would be better, the first one seems to be able to get a better feel all the way around the head as for triggering, but from the dead center you think it would get over stimulated.

http://www.vdrums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45347
http://www.youtube.com/user/stratocaster539#p/u/1/pnRcZq6DMv4
Lets go Cowboys!

Online Hellfire

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2010, 12:32:26 PM »
The video should be up by Tuesday 1/12/10. I understand everybody wants it now, but unfortunately life has slowed things down a bit.

Good things come to those who wait.  ;)

Offline mazzith

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2010, 12:33:59 PM »
The video should be up by Tuesday 1/12/10. I understand everybody wants it now, but unfortunately life has slowed things down a bit.

And those who wait long become procrastinators.  :P
And that will work out perfect, right on my Bday, I'll consider my present from you haha.  ;D
Lets go Cowboys!

Offline goony

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2010, 03:22:36 PM »
My DIY ability is rubbish, so anything more than just changing a drumhead is more than I can do. But the module and Drumkat DK10 option does appeal to me.
KIT: Roland TD9s
Online Browser Game Desert Ops
http://uk.desert-operations.com/?recruiter=275

Offline mazzith

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2010, 04:48:44 PM »
My DIY ability is rubbish, so anything more than just changing a drumhead is more than I can do. But the module and Drumkat DK10 option does appeal to me.

I think it will be easy i just want to make sure I am doing it right so I do not have to redo it.

I found http://myworld.ebay.com/sydub/ this ebay seller that sells the premade cones with a piezo. All it will be is taking out the old stuff, wire the new piezo in and place it in center, but im not sure on what heads to use (i seen hellfire suggest some that were 10-15 dollars each vs hart dynam which are 30-50 dollars each) and what to place the cone on. Figure you need to isolate it some from the bottom to keep from triggering the rim trigger.

Lets go Cowboys!

Offline goony

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2010, 05:33:00 PM »
for me a compact drum setup appeals, as a Drumkat plus module setup means, I can take it to work, and practice whilst away at work (I work onboard a ship for 2 weeks at a time) and have a small amount of space in my living quarters.

Offline mazzith

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2010, 07:09:02 PM »
If that is the case DM10 set up would not work for you, its kinda a pain to set up. It wobbles all over the place as your trying to get the 2 legs attacked to the cross member, but after its set up its rock solid.

Lets go Cowboys!

Online Hellfire

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2010, 08:56:01 PM »

I think it will be easy i just want to make sure I am doing it right so I do not have to redo it.

I found http://myworld.ebay.com/sydub/ this ebay seller that sells the premade cones with a piezo. All it will be is taking out the old stuff, wire the new piezo in and place it in center, but im not sure on what heads to use (i seen hellfire suggest some that were 10-15 dollars each vs hart dynam which are 30-50 dollars each) and what to place the cone on. Figure you need to isolate it some from the bottom to keep from triggering the rim trigger.
The only thing you will need to buy for my conversion is the Billy Blast mesh heads (you will need two 8" and two 10" if you have a DM10 Pro kit). They are $10.00 each. Be sure to state you DO NOT want the Patch. You will also need three large (12"x18") sheets of 3mm thick craft foam (found by the felt in the craft/fabric store. They come in many colors. I used black. The foam I bought is called "Funky Foam" but the name my be different). Here's a pic

You know you have the right stuff when it (looks and feels) just like the first layer of foam (just under the head) in the trigger. This only cost about $1.00 per sheet. That in all you will need for my conversion. You will not need any cones or piezos. I show you have to reuse what is already in there. When it is all done, it will feel like a much more expensive kit.

Just an FYI, I'm finishing up the video as I'm typing this message.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2010, 10:20:21 PM »
I did watch that other guy's conversion that was posted here.  Seems simple enough, but I look forward to seeing Phil's version.

Question:  Why no patch?  Would/Could that act and feel like a power dot?

Online Hellfire

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2010, 11:08:29 PM »
Question:  Why no patch?  Would/Could that act and feel like a power dot?
It makes it louder.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2010, 11:53:07 PM »
Accoustically speaking, yes?

would the patch also produce a stronger signal when hit inside the patch, as opposed to outside of it?  (like a pwr dot does?)

Offline goony

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2010, 01:34:16 AM »
If that is the case DM10 set up would not work for you, its kinda a pain to set up. It wobbles all over the place as your trying to get the 2 legs attacked to the cross member, but after its set up its rock solid.

Im more interested in the module, cant wait to try it.

Online Hellfire

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2010, 10:41:39 PM »

And those who wait long become procrastinators.  :P
And that will work out perfect, right on my Bday, I'll consider my present from you haha.  ;D
Happy B-day mazzith! Here's your present: Alesis DM10 Pad Upgrade Video!

BTW, it is 30 minutes long. ;D
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 10:48:19 PM by Hellfire »

Offline Guinness

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2010, 11:14:56 PM »
Very good video!

Offline mazzith

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2010, 01:44:39 AM »
Woot! Thanks!
Lets go Cowboys!

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2010, 04:48:22 PM »
I would like to try the mesh conversion, perhaps on a second hand pad from ebay first to use as snare.

Question on the video: If the piezo element is moved further away from the playing surface, does the sensitivity need to be increased? If so, I've noticed that with the standard factory setup, other loud noises in the room (Marshall 4x12 & 100w headunit) seem to just trigger some of the pads. Will increasing the sensitivity accentuate this?

Also, it looks like the resonator plate is held on by little strips of tape. With the original setup the plate (and tape) are against foam. With the mod and the ring cut out of the foam, it hangs free. With repeated hits, are these little bits of tape likely to come loose and the resonator plate fall away?

Or am I worrying about nothing?????

Online Hellfire

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2010, 06:33:08 PM »
I would like to try the mesh conversion, perhaps on a second hand pad from ebay first to use as snare.

Question on the video: If the piezo element is moved further away from the playing surface, does the sensitivity need to be increased? If so, I've noticed that with the standard factory setup, other loud noises in the room (Marshall 4x12 & 100w headunit) seem to just trigger some of the pads. Will increasing the sensitivity accentuate this?
You will need to adjust some of your setting once the upgrade is done. I've been playing my DM10 with monitors for band practice and have not had any problems with triggering do to the monitors. It is a matter of adjusting your trigger settings. If you are new to edrumming it can take a little time to adjust them.

Also, it looks like the resonator plate is held on by little strips of tape. With the original setup the plate (and tape) are against foam. With the mod and the ring cut out of the foam, it hangs free. With repeated hits, are these little bits of tape likely to come loose and the resonator plate fall away?

Or am I worrying about nothing?????
They might fall away about 10 years from now. Only if the tape dries out however. I think it will be fine. ;)

« Reply #42 on: February 10, 2010, 05:54:24 AM »
Awesome HF. I'll give it a go.

Yep, new to edrumming. stopped playing accooustic kit 18 years ago when I started as a front of house engineer.

Thanks

Offline Guinness

« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2010, 12:24:50 PM »
I had an idea....  perhaps this should be a separate thread.  With regards to crosstalk, I thought of using Dynamat between the bracket post and clamp.  Dynamat is used in car audio to eliminate vibrations.  I wonder if that would eliminate or significantly remove any crosstalk.

Thoughts?

« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2010, 01:20:04 PM »
HI,

I agree, a separate thread discussing the best way to eliminate crosstalk would be great for me as I'm learning the setup.