Author Topic: So my DM10 Pro came in today.  (Read 11377 times)

Offline mazzith

So my DM10 Pro came in today.
« on: January 05, 2010, 09:37:07 PM »
Everything is about perfect except for one 8 inch tom head is fugged.

If I were to replace the head could I just take like a remo 8inch head and replace it?

Lets go Cowboys!

Offline mazzith

Re: So my DM10 Pro came in today.
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 02:53:06 AM »
So far I am pretty pleased with it but still need to do a lot of work to master the module. Here the set up so far.

Lets go Cowboys!

Offline goony

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 06:26:14 AM »
looks like the head needs a bit of tensioning. Hows the kit sounding, as I still not been able to demo one yet...
KIT: Roland TD9s
Online Browser Game Desert Ops
http://uk.desert-operations.com/?recruiter=275

Offline mazzith

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 10:46:31 AM »
Well TBH its not bad. I really can only compare it the to the old Roland V-Custom flagship 5k set from like 5 years ago though. That was one of the only sets I played and its not as good that is for sure but were talking 3500 dollars less. The toms / snare have descent rebound but nothing like a roland mesh head. I am waiting on Hellfire to post his video on his conversion so I can copy it.

For some reason there is a write protect on the module I'll have to figure out how to disable and I have to always reset the triggers sensitivity every time I turn it on. I did not receive a manual for some reason and it makes it a little bit of a pain to figure out the module and their is really no info out there on the web on this set yet.

The cymbals to my surprise were pretty quiet. I was concerned how loud they will be but it sounds like im hitting plastic. I think I'll need to buy a ride stand and mount my ride there because it feels weird playing it at where I would normally have a crash at. I guess I'll have to try turning the boom to face down like a \ coming out from stand.

As for the assembly to make sure the toms would stay still I had to seriously crank down on their key and turners. I was worried I was going to break them because they are plastic (they coupling device) but I did not. The wire for the snare from the main harness was to short and I had to use another cable for it but I received 3 extra cables in the cymbals packaging so that was not a issue.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 10:49:33 AM by mazzith »
Lets go Cowboys!

Offline Guinness

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 12:01:14 PM »
how do the cymbals feel?  Feel real-ish?

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 05:49:34 PM »
the process of a thought is only stirred on by creative ingenuity

Online Hellfire

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 06:36:37 PM »
Looks good. Yes, you can use any standard 8" drum head.

Offline mazzith

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 08:44:13 PM »
how do the cymbals feel?  Feel real-ish?

It basically a real cymbal. The only difference is this hard plastic under the cymbal. It is under the meat of cymbal but not under the bell. My ride cymbal was a Surge 16inch standard (which was wrong) it suppose to come with a chokeable ride.

The big arrow points to the plastic and the small arrow points to where it ends. This should have a choke strip like the crash but does not.

This shows the top side of the ride.

This is the bottom of the 13 inch crash w/ the choke strip

It is really quite for being basically a real cymbal. I rate it not much louder then the reset of the set. How this helps.
Lets go Cowboys!

Offline mazzith

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 08:47:28 PM »
Almost on a positive note, Alesis has mailed me out a replacement head and going to ship the correct ride out tomorrow after my ride I have is turned in to Fed Ex. They call this cross shipping. Once your return has a tracking # from Fed Ex they are allowed to release the replacement so it basically leaves the same day as yours.

Rob Griffith the Supervisor @ Alesis Technical Support & Returns has gone well above any expectation I had for handling these mess ups.
Lets go Cowboys!

Online Hellfire

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 08:59:22 PM »
Almost on a positive note, Alesis has mailed me out a replacement head and going to ship the correct ride out tomorrow after my ride I have is turned in to Fed Ex. They call this cross shipping. Once your return has a tracking # from Fed Ex they are allowed to release the replacement so it basically leaves the same day as yours.

Rob Griffith the Supervisor @ Alesis Technical Support & Returns has gone well above any expectation I had for handling these mess ups.
I would say that is a very positive note. The place you bought it from is most likely at fault for your problems. Based on what you have shown us, they most likely gave you a "B" stock kit (Telling you it was "A" stock). That clearly seem to be the case. Those are the type of problems that make up "B" stock equipment. In the end you will end up with an "A" stock kit because Alesis is fixing the problem (not the place you bought it from, which should have fixed your problems). Now that is good customer service on Alesis part.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 09:02:09 PM by Hellfire »

Offline mazzith

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 09:30:37 PM »

I would say that is a very positive note. The place you bought it from is most likely at fault for your problems. Based on what you have shown us, they most likely gave you a "B" stock kit (Telling you it was "A" stock). That clearly seem to be the case. Those are the type of problems that make up "B" stock equipment. In the end you will end up with an "A" stock kit because Alesis is fixing the problem (not the place you bought it from, which should have fixed your problems). Now that is good customer service on Alesis part.

They said it was a A stock and blamed it on Alesis. Being it B stock w/ factory warranty I was covered, either way I saved about 450 dollars (1500 vs 1200 and 139.50 from tax) Lost time from waiting for parts and the set but I rather wait and save 450 dollars I can invest in some other equipment (like a double pedal?)
Lets go Cowboys!

Offline goony

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2010, 05:09:56 AM »
How are you finding the Module sounds? Realistic enough?

Offline goony

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 03:54:21 PM »
How does the module compare to the Rolands soundwise? Having no experience in using a sequencer how easy is it to use the dm10s?

Offline mazzith

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 04:25:37 PM »
I am about to load the update but they some sound really well. There is a bell sound for the ride that sounds about spot on. I am sure this is pretty comparable to a Roland set but at a lower price. It will not be as nice as say a TD-20 but I think with all the expandability it should be fine.

I know they talked about having 3rd party sounds be to imported to the system  like addictive drums
Lets go Cowboys!

Online Hellfire

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 07:25:44 PM »
https://www.alesis.com/stuff/contentmgr/files/21/198af43209900baea811292826464600/file/dm10_module___operator__s_manual___revc.pdf

Here the URL to the manual.
Just so you guys know, I have links to the manuals for almost all Alesis products under: Manual links for D4, DM5, DM6, DMpro, DM10, & Trigger I/O.

You can find the manual via picture or name.

Offline mazzith

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 08:40:03 PM »
Did not.

I tried to update my module and via USB it wouldnt take the updates, got it to do it over midi but taking forever for the sounds. (Been 1.5 hours at 17% and slowly climbing)

Any news on when you going to make those videos for the conversion of the heads to mesh?

Oh BTW I talked ya website and forums up to one of the sale reps for the company I bought it from and the parts - tech support guy. Hopefully we might see one of them over here soon enough.
Lets go Cowboys!

Offline goony

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2010, 04:05:17 PM »
How did the update go in the end? Any difference?

Offline Guinness

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 06:16:39 PM »

Any news on when you going to make those videos for the conversion of the heads to mesh?

Isn't this it?  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhhRQ2Zv4mo

Offline Guinness

Online Hellfire

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2010, 08:57:46 PM »

Offline mazzith

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2010, 11:28:07 AM »
How did the update go in the end? Any difference?

I honestly can not say there was a major difference. They still sound really well. The one thing I noticed is that when you load the Alesis updater you have to select the midi interface button and then pick the usb alesis 3499ya or what ever it is. Then it will send the stuff to the module.

Do not try to send it via midi, will takes hours.
Lets go Cowboys!

Offline mazzith

« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2010, 11:33:06 AM »

It pretty vague on at mesh head aspect. It says roland sensing system, but not sure were I can find that or how to set it up. I was looking more for a detail explanation for it.
Lets go Cowboys!

Offline Guinness

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2010, 02:42:24 AM »

It pretty vague on at mesh head aspect. It says roland sensing system, but not sure were I can find that or how to set it up. I was looking more for a detail explanation for it.

Phil?

Offline goony

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2010, 10:58:51 AM »
I am waiting for the DM10 module to but on own now, as Im not too confident of them pads that come with the kit, I am looking at making it a compact kit, DM10 module linking up with a Kat DK10.