Author Topic: DM5 to...?  (Read 5687 times)

Offline Guinness

DM5 to...?
« on: January 02, 2010, 08:29:27 PM »
So...  as some may have read, I'm new to eDrumming.  used to play a lot of acoustic, but haven't in years...  room, sound, etc...  So, edrum seems like a great way to get back into it.

I got a Ion set (similar to the DM6), but it broke in 2 days and I returned it.  So, I then purchased the DM5 Pro Kit.  There's lots of things I like about it, but it's limited and those limitations are causing frustration.

I MIGHT return the DM5 kit and start all over (again).
I'm seeking suggestions.  I'd like to keep it under $1000, but that may not be possible.

Mesh heads aren't important to me.  I like Alesis' mylar heads..  I don't like rubber.

I need variable hi-hat control, chokable cymbals.  I mostly play rock, but need a kit that's plenty flexible... and has room (extra trigger inputs to grow).  Size is important, 'cause I'd prefer a small-ish footprint.  The kick needs to be large enough to accomodate a double beater.  I need an Aux In on the module, 'cause I really like to play along with my Ipod (eventually, I'll find drumless tracks.)

Ideally, I'd like:
Snare, 2-3toms, 1 floor tom, kick, 3 cymbals (crash, crash, china (a splash would be nice too :)  ), 1 ride, cowbell/block, variable hi-hat.  But that's something I'd build towards and don't necesarily need it right away.  So, just a 5 piece kit to start, but the key element is a variable hi-hat, and choke.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Online Hellfire

Re: DM5 to...?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 11:12:59 PM »
So...  as some may have read, I'm new to eDrumming.  used to play a lot of acoustic, but haven't in years...  room, sound, etc...  So, edrum seems like a great way to get back into it.

I got a Ion set (similar to the DM6), but it broke in 2 days and I returned it.  So, I then purchased the DM5 Pro Kit.  There's lots of things I like about it, but it's limited and those limitations are causing frustration.

I MIGHT return the DM5 kit and start all over (again).
I'm seeking suggestions.  I'd like to keep it under $1000, but that may not be possible.

Mesh heads aren't important to me.  I like Alesis' mylar heads..  I don't like rubber.

I need variable hi-hat control, chokable cymbals.  I mostly play rock, but need a kit that's plenty flexible... and has room (extra trigger inputs to grow).  Size is important, 'cause I'd prefer a small-ish footprint.  The kick needs to be large enough to accomodate a double beater.  I need an Aux In on the module, 'cause I really like to play along with my Ipod (eventually, I'll find drumless tracks.)

Ideally, I'd like:
Snare, 2-3toms, 1 floor tom, kick, 3 cymbals (crash, crash, china (a splash would be nice too :)  ), 1 ride, cowbell/block, variable hi-hat.  But that's something I'd build towards and don't necesarily need it right away.  So, just a 5 piece kit to start, but the key element is a variable hi-hat, and choke.

Thoughts/suggestions?
Buying new it isn't going to happen at $1000.00 or under. You might what to look into used kits. You can try a Roland TD-3 or TD-6 kit as well. Those would be a good used kit and should be under $1000.00. I think they both have variable hi-hat as well. You might want to ask this question over at eDf as well. They could most likely suggest a used Yamaha kit too.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 01:01:55 AM »
$1,000 isn't my final offer... it's more of what I'd prefer. :)

Online Hellfire

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 11:24:23 AM »
$1,000 isn't my final offer... it's more of what I'd prefer. :)
I did a quick search on Musician's Friend just to see what you can get for around $1000.00. I made sure that it would at least have the variable hi-hat you want.

Roland V-Compact Series TD-4S Electronic Drum Set - $995.00

Roland TD-9S V-Tour Electronic Drum Set - $1,295.00

Yamaha DTXpress IV Special Electronic Drum Set - $1,299.00

Roland TD-4SX V-Compact Electronic Drum Set - $1,399.00

Alesis DM10 Pro Electronic Drum Set - $1,499.00

..and they just go up from there. If you get a chance, try to find a music store that has these to try out. The Alesis DM10 might be hard. That's because most big box stores don't carry them. I went to Sam Ash and Guitar Center yesterday. Sam Ash had all the kit listed above except for the DM10. They did have the DM5 pro kit set however. Guitar Center was a different story. They only had the Roland stuff set up. They didn't even have their own brand (Simmons) set-up to try out. Very odd. ???

« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 11:29:32 AM by Hellfire »

Offline Guinness

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 07:23:11 PM »
Guitar Center owns Simmons?

GC can be a frustrating place.  They have just about every type of guitar one can think of, but when it comes to drums, I find them very limited.

Thanks for the input!  :D

Online Hellfire

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 08:56:01 PM »
Guitar Center owns Simmons?
Yes. They didn't always but, they have for about the last 4-5 years. How Guitar Center acquired the name Simmons is somewhat of a mystery. If you ask too many questions about it, some people get really nasty about it. At least that's been my experience.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 02:43:54 AM »
I'm returning my DM5 tomorrow.

Already told the wife about the DM10. It's in my future, thankfully, not too distant future...  6 months is my guess.

Offline mazzith

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 07:11:00 PM »
I found my DM10 for 1200 on ebay.
Lets go Cowboys!

Offline Guinness

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 10:27:03 PM »
$1200 is a good price.

I'm still going to wait a bit.

I returned my DM5 today.  Guy at GC asked...  why r u returning it?  'Cause it sounds crappy to me.  He replied, don't all electronic drums sound like that.  I told him... oh hell no.  Today's models sound as good, if not better than accoustic!

I look forward to my DM10 (and putting mesh heads on).  I look forward to not having to constantly tune my accoustic kit.  (I was never really that good at tuning it.  I'd get the bass drum good, then the snare.  A few weeks later, I'd tweek it, and never get it back.  lol.  I was always messing with the heads.  With an ekit, I won't have this problem.  :) )

I'm selling my accoustic set.  The drums are worth much, but I do hope to get some decent cash from the symbols.   Hopefully, someone won't mind buying the whole thing (excluding the throne, and double kick pedals.)

By the way...  side note..    I plugged my DM5 into my Line6 guitar amp the other night.  WOW..  it sounded like crap.  I guess that's why it's called a Guitar amp and not a 'drum' amp.  lol   ::)

Offline mazzith

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 10:58:02 PM »
If you want to hear some of the presets for the DM10 I can record some on protools and dump them out to a wave file, but you have to ignore my bad playing lol. I always enjoyed playing drums but never had my own set to learn on. Been a lot of fun.
Lets go Cowboys!

Offline Guinness

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 11:53:37 PM »
If you want to hear some of the presets for the DM10 I can record some on protools and dump them out to a wave file, but you have to ignore my bad playing lol. I always enjoyed playing drums but never had my own set to learn on. Been a lot of fun.

Sure!

Offline mazzith

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2010, 12:40:40 AM »
Ok here is a link to a wave file. As I said the I suck as a drummer (only been playing for like 5 days now) but gives you a idea of a unedit sound of one of the sets. This is set cablesnare preset #2. The china cymbal is activated from my floortom rim. Around 1min you will hear me goofing off and will here all but the ride.

If you have quick time it will play from that link.

http://nevermore-guild.net/drumtest.wav

As I said its pretty bad, but I need something steady to do some test recording with my guitar today.

Tomorrow I'll do a quick run down of some presets. Can't do it tonight because my kick drum WAY to loud and neighbors will start banging on the wall.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 02:15:48 AM by mazzith »
Lets go Cowboys!

Offline mazzith

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2010, 01:59:52 PM »
http://www.nevermore-guild.net/drumsample.wav

Ok I ran through a bunch of presets (7min 34 seconds) and this is the order I did everything in. I was unable to give you the ride because my ride is in UPS hands atm getting shipped to be replaced. They were suppose to send me the surge 16 inch dualzone ride c. (c for chokable)

All I did was record the drums to protools in stereo and bounced to .wav I did not add any effects to enhance the sounds. These delay you hear on some sets are from the module.

Open High-hat
Closed High-hat
13inch crash
tom 1
tom 2
tom 3 (floor)
snare
kick
tom 3 rim
tom 1 rim
tom 2 rim

I can through about the first 20 or so kits.

Hope this helps.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2010, 02:17:02 PM by mazzith »
Lets go Cowboys!

Offline goony

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2010, 02:17:53 PM »
am downloading this now....
KIT: Roland TD9s
Online Browser Game Desert Ops
http://uk.desert-operations.com/?recruiter=275

Offline mazzith

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2010, 02:50:37 PM »
If you have quick time it should play from the browser but if ya download it gonna be a big file 505mb.
Lets go Cowboys!

Offline goony

« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 02:57:39 PM »
I have quicktime, but onboard ships network cuts off every 30 minutes, so easier for my download manager to do it..
KIT: Roland TD9s
Online Browser Game Desert Ops
http://uk.desert-operations.com/?recruiter=275

Offline mazzith

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 03:22:30 PM »
Ah ok, let me know what ya think. Sorry I didnt have my ride tone but i can give ya some ride presets in a few days.
Lets go Cowboys!

Offline Guinness

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 03:10:34 AM »
I was able to listen to the Test (first one), but not the Sample.  That one said I needed to dl a codec.  But codec's are supposed to dl automatically.  Not sure why it didn't play.  The first played in WMP.   Quicktime was not an option.  ?

Offline Guinness

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 03:15:16 AM »
Got it to work.  Opened url with quicktime.

;D

WAYYY BETTER sounds than with the DM5!!!

Thanks for sharing!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 03:17:13 AM by Guinness »

Offline mazzith

« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2010, 10:22:39 AM »
Also that the sounds AFTER I downloaded the update.
Lets go Cowboys!