Author Topic: Making a case for a "DM8" drum module (replacement for DM5).  (Read 7578 times)

Online Hellfire

Making a case for a "DM8" drum module (replacement for DM5).
« on: September 17, 2009, 05:38:24 PM »
This is a theoretical discussions about a product that doesn't exist (not yet anyway), the DM8.

With the release of the DM6 and DM10 Alesis seems to have a drum module that is the odd man out. The DM5. Don't get me wrong, the DM5 is a good module for the price, but it is getting very dated. It has a lot more tweak-ability than the DM6, but the sounds and number of inputs is showing its age.

I do understand the Alesis philosophy at some level, so I will do my best to keep the DM8 within that realm. Also, the DM8 is not meant to be on the same level as the DM10 or the DM6, but right in the middle. So what does that mean? No updateable sound sets, that's what the DM10 is for.

In order to keep costs down, I think Alesis should look at a Medeli offering. I know Alesis has worked with Medeli before. Specifically the product Alesis should look at is the Medeli DD508 (the module portion). The DD508 product is a good tested platform (See Simmons SD9K) and with a few Alesis touches, it could be great!

What does the DD508 (possible DM8) offer that the DM5 doesn't? For one, a "semi" variable hi-hat controller. What I mean by "semi" variable is the DD508 can handle a two switch hi-hat controller (DM5, one switch only). This would allow for not only foot chick, full open, and full closed, but also half open. The DD508 also offers dual zone inputs, and can handle dual-zone cymbals with choke. Something the DM5 can not do. The DD508 also offers:

• Drum kits: 100 total (40 preset kits + 59 user kits + 1 external MIDI kit)
• General MIDI kits: 12 GM kits
• Drum voices: 725 (drums, percussion, SFX) + 19 hi-hat combos
• General MIDI backing voices: 128 GM instruments
• Maximum polyphony: 64 notes
• Effect types: Reverb/Delay
• 4-band master EQ
• Sequencer
• Preset songs: 110
• User songs: 100
• External MIDI control song: 1
• Song parts: 7 (drum, percussion, part 1 - part 5)
• Play modes: one shot, loop
• Tempo: 30 - 280
• Resolution: 192 ticks per quarter note
• Maximum storage function: 12,000 notes
• Metronome function
• Track mute function
• SD card reader
• Save/load kits, songs and user settings
• Play standard MIDI files (up to 16 channels)
• Update-able operating firmware
• MIDI and USB ports

So, at this point you are asking yourself, What can Alesis do to make this even better? Alesis could put there own sound set from the SR-18 in this unit. By using the SR-18 sound set it would give them an advantage over the equivalent Simmons SD9K product. The last thing Alesis could do is to team the DM8 (DD508) module with the DM5 Pro kit (with or without Surge Cymbals). A product like this would really complete the Alesis line of electronic drums. Just a thought.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 09:18:34 AM by Hellfire »