Author Topic: Superior Drummer 3 and Cubase LE5/Cubase Elements 10?  (Read 2474 times)

Offline iCe

Superior Drummer 3 and Cubase LE5/Cubase Elements 10?
« on: December 07, 2018, 02:09:21 AM »
Hey all,

I have SD3 and tried to get in to work in Cubase LE5, but i can't get it to run. Stand alone it works fine, but i want to record drums in Cubase and use SD3 as a plugin.
I understand that Cubase LE5 is a very basis version and does not support this, so i thought about upgrading my version. Because I'm a very basis user Cubase Elements 10 is the most logical option. And upgrading is only €50,-.
But I'm afraid that Elements is a similar version and i can't run SD3 as plugin. So i thought i ask here first before i buy it.

Or do you girls/guys have other (cheap) options for recording software where i can run SD3 as a plugin?

Thanks in advance!

*I use my DM10 as trigger source and a converted acoustic kit.
Alesis DM10 Studio kit with 682drums mesh heads
Asus F551MAV-BING-SX1008B - Laptop

Offline Iggford

Re: Superior Drummer 3 and Cubase LE5/Cubase Elements 10?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 07:28:12 AM »
Take a look at Reaper.  My band uses it for all our recording.  I've never used SD3 with it, but it is said to have good support for it. 

To me, it's been a fairly easy program to learn.  I started off with little knowledge of the ins and outs of DAW software, but now I do all of the band's live mixes with it.

It was $60 (US) for me to purchase it.  It's more if you're a professional, but you have to make at least $10,000 per year just in music to be required to pay that.  If you're a basic user as you say, you should qualify for the lower price.  It's the exact same version either way.

They offer a 60-day trial.  I'll admit that this trial doesn't end at 60 days, or it didn't for me.  I went quite a bit over before I was able to make the purchase, but I never lost any function of the program.

If you're looking to make a switch, it's a solid option!

--
Shawn

Offline iCe

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 01:01:14 AM »
Thanks! I'll look into it. Looks like a good program as well without busting the bank hehe

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 01:27:02 AM »
Hey all,

I have SD3 and tried to get in to work in Cubase LE5, but i can't get it to run. Stand alone it works fine, but i want to record drums in Cubase and use SD3 as a plugin.
I understand that Cubase LE5 is a very basis version and does not support this, so i thought about upgrading my version. Because I'm a very basis user Cubase Elements 10 is the most logical option. And upgrading is only €50,-.
But I'm afraid that Elements is a similar version and i can't run SD3 as plugin. So i thought i ask here first before i buy it.

Or do you girls/guys have other (cheap) options for recording software where i can run SD3 as a plugin?

Thanks in advance!

Here is a DAW to read up on...
Cakewalk/Sonar is now FREE.

It was acquired by Gibson (guitar) and then they killed it.

http://cdm.link/2017/11/gibson-just-killed-cakewalk-philips/

Gibson went Bankrupt earlier this year and sold it off.
BandLab purchased it and made it FREE.
You just need to sign up for a BandLab  account.
64 bit Windows and MAC OS

https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

Offline iCe

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2018, 05:27:16 AM »
Hey all,

Thanks in advance!

Here is a DAW to read up on...
Cakewalk/Sonar is now FREE.

It was acquired by Gibson (guitar) and then they killed it.

http://cdm.link/2017/11/gibson-just-killed-cakewalk-philips/

Gibson went Bankrupt earlier this year and sold it off.
BandLab purchased it and made it FREE.
You just need to sign up for a BandLab  account.
64 bit Windows and MAC OS

https://www.bandlab.com/products/cakewalk

Amazing! I will give it a go when I'm home from work. Thank you so much! Saves me some hard earned money hehe

Offline iCe

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 02:55:42 AM »
I seem to get an error message when installing it; Microsoft Visual Basic is missing an .msi file, so i tried installing a new version of that... and then i get the same message. So i have no idea what is going on or what is going wrong. Maybe it's my laptop and hardware that produce this error message, but i tried installing it several times and still the error persists (even deleted Avast Antivirus like i read on a site). Too bad, had high hopes that this would work

Offline iCe

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 06:09:24 AM »
I installed it on my main PC and it runs now. Had no install errors. Currently downloading and installing SD3 as well, so looks like this computer is going to move upstairs haha

EDIT: got SD3 up and running as well. Tried some very basic stuff with the build in groove samples, but it records everything in different tracks and i can't believe Cakewalk is free  ;D
Tomorrow i will hook everything up to this computer and see if it works. ASIO driver is up and running as well. Expect a post tomorrow that i had high hopes and everything sucks  :P
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 05:09:49 PM by iCe »

Offline iCe

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2018, 07:28:46 AM »
I'll let this do the talking:

I do experience some weird double playback after recording. It appears that when i play back my recording, Cakewalk also triggers SD3. So I'm hearing 2 drumsets playing at the exact same time, but due to the algorithm they're slightly different. Have to figure out how to stop it, but very happy that it's working now!