Author Topic: So... there it is now... BFD3!!!  (Read 8789 times)

Offline vaikl

So... there it is now... BFD3!!!
« on: September 30, 2013, 02:44:57 PM »
Just got the mail - BFD3 ready for sale

349$/269€ (or as an update from BFD2 149$/115€) - holy shit, think I've to wait for the first user impressions.

One thing that will fuel up our discussion about Alesis and future DM modules/kits - from the BFD3 FAQs:
"Which electronic drumkits and MIDI controllers does BFD3 support? - ..Alesis ControlPad, DM5, DM5 Pro, Trigger I/O". Period. No newer modules, no DM10, 8, 7, 6.. Ok, it's really dead.

John Emrich? Any news on this if you are still reading here?

Offline Sharkuel

Re: So... there it is now... BFD3!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 07:43:33 AM »
I just hope that they keep the same keymap layout, since like myself i am gonna upgrade it. But i must make a few questions first, since i have my own samples there and i want to know if "outsource" samples are kept as well. If not, it will be bothersome. :\
Megadrum 32 inputs with positional sensing add-on.

Cone centered DIY triggers in snare and toms.

8" racktom
10" racktom
12" racktom
14" floortom

Roland VH13
Lemon Cymbals

"Life is short, death is near, but one's word lives forever

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 09:11:43 AM »

349$/269€ (or as an update from BFD2 149$/115€) - holy shit, think I've to wait for the first user impressions.

One thing that will fuel up our discussion about Alesis and future DM modules/kits - from the BFD3 FAQs:
"Which electronic drumkits and MIDI controllers does BFD3 support? - ..Alesis ControlPad, DM5, DM5 Pro, Trigger I/O". Period. No newer modules, no DM10, 8, 7, 6.. Ok, it's really dead.

Does it actually state "DM5 Pro"? I only ask because there is no such module as a DM5 Pro.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 10:58:24 AM »
Yes it states that... also mentions TrapKat as supported... but then in the "my drum kit isn't listed"..it mentions TrapKat again.. lol

someone should proof-read before they publish ?..

http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=205&tab=496#792

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 11:41:10 AM »
I see that the Simmons SD1000 is in the "Which electronic drumkits and MIDI controllers does BFD3 support?" :D

Offline Sharkuel

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 11:57:30 AM »

Does it actually state "DM5 Pro"? I only ask because there is no such module as a DM5 Pro.

Well... On the DM5 bit, maybe they just divided the 10 by 2, who knows ::) lol

8" racktom
10" racktom
12" racktom
14" floortom

Roland VH13
Lemon Cymbals

Offline vaikl

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 03:28:25 PM »
I just hope that they keep the same keymap layout

Nope, BFD3 key setup has a dufferent structure than BFD2 and actually the option to load keymaps is broken, so you could only load BFD2 *presets* with an included, customized keymap. Loading separate keymaps should be fixed soon, according to staff members in the FXpansion user forum.

And yes - old packs, expansions and even own samples should load in BFD3 :)

They have 3.0.1.1 out now, but I would wait another one or two smaller updates before installing it.

Offline Sharkuel

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 07:50:56 AM »
Vaikl, thanks for the reply. Saved me the email sent to them. :D

@Hellfire, i have one question regarding your Simmons SD1000.

Side to side, are the midi notes on the Module very diferent than the ones used on the DM10?! Since both modules have the same "father", maybe they share some similarities, and by using the preset of the SD1000 overcome the lack of DM10. Im just guessing, but it could be something we could check on.

If you haven't check it already, could you please make that test?! :)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 07:53:29 AM by Sharkuel »

8" racktom
10" racktom
12" racktom
14" floortom

Roland VH13
Lemon Cymbals

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 11:46:25 PM »
Greetings.

It's been a while....  I do not have a DM10 to make a map out of.  The other Alesis maps are holdovers from earlier maps.  Those are subject to some instruments not working correctly because one can change the notes in the modules.  I will be doing another mapping video soon.  It is very easy.

This would also help people that have issues with HH.  It is important to make sure you have the right articulations...

I apologize for not hanging around here lately.  (Been a bit busy sampling....) I will try to make more of an effort to get back here.

Cheers,
John

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 07:17:25 AM »
Vaikl, thanks for the reply. Saved me the email sent to them. :D

@Hellfire, i have one question regarding your Simmons SD1000.

Side to side, are the midi notes on the Module very diferent than the ones used on the DM10?! Since both modules have the same "father", maybe they share some similarities, and by using the preset of the SD1000 overcome the lack of DM10. Im just guessing, but it could be something we could check on.

If you haven't check it already, could you please make that test?! :)

I don't have my DM10 set-up currently. You can most likely compare the midi between the two by looking at the SD1000 manual (see page 46) and then looking at the DM10 midi map.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 07:20:01 AM »
Greetings.

It's been a while....  I do not have a DM10 to make a map out of.  The other Alesis maps are holdovers from earlier maps.  Those are subject to some instruments not working correctly because one can change the notes in the modules.  I will be doing another mapping video soon.  It is very easy.

This would also help people that have issues with HH.  It is important to make sure you have the right articulations...

I apologize for not hanging around here lately.  (Been a bit busy sampling....) I will try to make more of an effort to get back here.

Cheers,
John

Hi John,

Don't know if it helps but you could always use this general DM10 Midi Map that we have under the topic: Manuals & Tech Data links for DM10, Trigger I/O, DM7, DM6, DM5, DMpro, & D4

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 07:22:33 AM »
BTW,

Users can import their BFD2 maps into BFD3. 

Offline vaikl

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 09:07:40 AM »
BTW,

Users can import their BFD2 maps into BFD3.
Thanks for your helping hand, John!

Thought I've read on the fxpansion forum that this actually is only possible via loading a complete BFD2 preset, not via loading a key mapping only. Is this fixed with 3.0.1.1 now?

Hadn't had time enough for checking out, I'm struggling with the standalone app which is constantly crashing on startup on my iMac :(

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 09:09:18 PM »
Vaikl,

If you like.... Send me your DM10 map for BFD2.  If you like the way it works we can use that for the map.  I'll convert it into BFD3 and post it here.  That will hold us 'till I can get it added to the program via an update.

John

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2013, 04:45:18 PM »
That sounds like a great idea!

Offline vaikl

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2013, 05:58:03 PM »
Vaikl,

If you like.... Send me your DM10 map for BFD2.  If you like the way it works we can use that for the map.  I'll convert it into BFD3 and post it here.  That will hold us 'till I can get it added to the program via an update.

John

John,

many thanks for your offer! I'll get back to it when my standalone probs are solved (maybe it's an issue with the language system in OSX 10.7.5; I'm on a german sys).

Cheer
Klaus

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2013, 12:35:41 AM »
To be clear... I am asking for a BFD"2" map.  I can get it into "3" at my place.

Re: the stand alone woes.... Not sure what is going on there.  There is an update already.  Did you grab that?  If so, make sure to open a ticket, and or post on the Fxpansion forum.

Cheers

Offline vaikl

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2013, 03:00:39 PM »
Re: the stand alone woes.... Not sure what is going on there.  There is an update already.  Did you grab that?  If so, make sure to open a ticket, and or post on the Fxpansion forum.

Yep, I already have the 3.0.1.1 update, there's an open ticket with active communication and there's a thread on the forum (where Rail was trying to help) :)

Offline vaikl

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2013, 03:06:31 PM »
Oh, and to not forget - after playing around some first rounds with BFD3, the recordings sound fantastic with the extra punch and brilliance over the also fantastic BFD2 samples, but even a bit more detailed and more shiny! Kudos to you and the others in the team, John! Very good job!

BFD3 and DM10
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2018, 12:00:41 PM »
Does anyone know if the DM10 map was ever added to the BFD3 presets?

Offline vaikl

Re: BFD3 and DM10
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2018, 01:26:50 PM »
Does anyone know if the DM10 map was ever added to the BFD3 presets?

Yep, one year after the last post of this thread a DM10 key map was added to the library. And it's still there 8)