Author Topic: Drum VST Database 1.0  (Read 56794 times)

Re: Drum VST Database 1.0
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2011, 12:13:20 PM »
@ Vaikl

I used to use Sup w/ a DM-5.  Noticed your list didn't include it.  It worked quite well actully. 

Just thought you may wish to know.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 03:19:56 PM by User Deleted Account »
-AxE- (The Axe man, MAN!)

Offline vaikl

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2011, 04:30:23 PM »
Thanks for the info, Axe! Entry updated.

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2011, 09:14:23 PM »
Glad I could help.  Maybe I will be a really real contributing member someday :)  "I want to be a real boy" - Pinoccheo
-AxE- (The Axe man, MAN!)

Offline Sharkuel

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2011, 08:41:32 AM »
i found this little software...

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/producer/powered-by-kontakt/abbey-road-modern-drums/

Native Intruments, the creators of guitar rig, have also a drum software. They have nice samples, and i was wondering, did anyone had tried it, or lnow someone who uses the software?! 
Megadrum 32 inputs with positional sensing add-on.

Cone centered DIY triggers in snare and toms.

8" racktom
10" racktom
12" racktom
14" floortom

Roland VH13
Lemon Cymbals

"Life is short, death is near, but one's word lives forever

Offline vaikl

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2011, 10:24:25 AM »
i found this little software...

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/producer/powered-by-kontakt/abbey-road-modern-drums/

Native Intruments, the creators of guitar rig, have also a drum software. They have nice samples, and i was wondering, did anyone had tried it, or lnow someone who uses the software?!

I use it sometimes together with other titles out of NI's library. I wouldn't call it drum software, because the underlying "Kontakt" (or "Kontakt Player" as the free version) is an all-purpose sample player with sound libraries.

Kontakt is not specialized for drum usage, it has no real MIDI mapping features for e-drums. But the sounds are really excellent and with some experience and knowledge one could transmit the library into real drum software like BFD2.

Offline Sharkuel

« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2011, 11:59:29 AM »
Hmm... When you say experience, you mean pacience, rigth?! Lol because importing soundfiles to BFD 2 is quite painfull... lol

BTW, what does BFD 2 Stands for?! Best F***ing Drummer?! lololol

8" racktom
10" racktom
12" racktom
14" floortom

Roland VH13
Lemon Cymbals

Offline vaikl

« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2011, 03:51:04 PM »

Not bad ;D

FXpansion answers this:

"Well it's Big, it's Drums and it's version 2! the rest is up to you :)"

Offline Sharkuel

« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2011, 07:46:37 AM »

Not bad ;D

FXpansion answers this:

"Well it's Big, it's Drums and it's version 2! the rest is up to you :)"

Oh that makes a lot of sense in my head... xD Gotta love they're comercial strategies =p

Actually i love BFD2. The raw sounds are great for both metal and country rock, blues, etc.

8" racktom
10" racktom
12" racktom
14" floortom

Roland VH13
Lemon Cymbals

Offline vaikl

« Reply #33 on: November 06, 2011, 05:27:22 PM »
Actually i love BFD2. The raw sounds are great for both metal and country rock, blues, etc.

I'm just playing around with their latest expansion pack, the BFD Dunnett Titanium kit - wow, what a hammer! Haven't heard such clear and punching sounds before, even if it's a bit new and strange sounding, with a kit variation recorded through a guitar amp. Fantastic cymbals are also included ;D

Offline MechanEvil

« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2012, 01:37:40 AM »
Can anyone tell me what use automation could be with a drum VST, vis-a-vis the comment about Superior Drummer? I couldn't figure out how that would be used for a drumkit. Raising/lowering volumes separate from velocity?

- Jimmy Rage
Warrior poet, guitar vocalist bassist drummer
... and inventor of the three-legged setup

Offline vaikl

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2012, 01:56:51 PM »
Can anyone tell me what use automation could be with a drum VST, vis-a-vis the comment about Superior Drummer? I couldn't figure out how that would be used for a drumkit. Raising/lowering volumes separate from velocity?

- Jimmy Rage

Think about the dynamic articulation feature that comes with the DM10 and most of the drum VSTi's. During a song you'll normally have parts like verse which need less dynamic and other parts with much more need.

Offline MechanEvil

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2012, 01:17:58 PM »
I don't get it. I went through the Cubase 6 manual and what I understood is that automation is used to control certain parameters, such as volume and pan, as a track progresses. It's not possible to do this with Superior? Also, is there a way to control the dynamic in other softwares using automation? I thought dynamic was dictated by playing nuances. Pardon me, totally confused.

- Reggae Mangle

Offline MechanEvil

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2012, 01:36:08 PM »
Or are you referring to control of parameters within the VST? As in, Superior does not change settings based on controller data? Am really green on this stuff!

- Jimmy Rage

Offline MechanEvil

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2012, 02:05:26 PM »
Couple of interesting things I read in the Superior manual:
1) Hi-hat controller cc messages can be drawn in the host DAW.
2) Dynamic articulation is available. In addition, you can control which layer of the said drum is "dominant" louder at different velocities.

Hope these can find a place in the database!

- Arvind Jayaram

Offline vaikl

« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2012, 04:51:02 PM »
My example was only a theoretical example ;)

The automation feature depends only on the features of a given plugin, so if the manufacturer don't support certain parameters for automation, you don't get them in your DAW.

There are global parameters like track volume, pan or MIDI velocity that are plugin-independent and therefor can be used system-wide.

Don't get confused by "dynamics". You could use MIDI velocity automation to alter the pure volume of a single sound, but what I mean is firing different sounds on different velocity values. BFD2, as an example, has instruments that are sampled with up to 128 different velocity-depended audio sample files for only one snare head trigger. The point is that the DAW itself would only alter *one* sample volume.

But BFD2 has also a real "dynamics" button for each instrument that could be automated on a track. If you don't see a wanted plugin parameter in the automation options of your DAW, then it's simply not intended to be there.

I think these information is not necessary good for the database, because it's 1.) very complex and 2.) it'll last not long enough and has to be updated very often.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2012, 09:55:13 AM »
FYI:

FXpansion has just announced that BFD2 is on sale for 149$ (€119, £99) until end of March. Available in their web shop now.

Offline sfish

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2012, 10:37:24 AM »
FYI:

FXpansion has just announced that BFD2 is on sale for 149$ (€119, £99) until end of March. Available in their web shop now.

And just this morning they introduced a downloadable version of BFD2 as well. Time to start clearing off my HD.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2012, 03:59:36 PM »
And the beat goes on: Now Addictive Drums is reduced about 30% ;) ;)

They don't have this news on the XLN website, it's from KVR

Offline sfish

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2012, 07:47:56 AM »
I pulled the trigger on the BFD2 download and had it up and running within a few minutes of getting everything installed. This is some really amazing software. The samples are stunning and the control you have over everything is a bit overwhelmingly large. The presets made my initial experience painless. Now I'm really motivated to learn everything in detail. There goes the month of March.   :)

Offline vaikl

« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2012, 07:53:17 AM »
I pulled the trigger on the BFD2 download and had it up and running within a few minutes of getting everything installed. This is some really amazing software. The samples are stunning and the control you have over everything is a bit overwhelmingly large. The presets made my initial experience painless. Now I'm really motivated to learn everything in detail. There goes the month of March.   :)

Congrats! Don't forget to study the tutorial videos on the FXpansion site, they are really good and John Emrich is an excellent tutor! ;)

Offline Sharkuel

« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2012, 07:03:33 AM »

Congrats! Don't forget to study the tutorial videos on the FXpansion site, they are really good and John Emrich is an excellent tutor! ;)

BFD2 is simply the BEST for recording. You can pull off a bunch of things with just one kit. I simply love that piece of software, and for gigs the stand-alone is the cherry in the top!

The drums are raw, punchy, badass. Sometimes i just fool arround with the software, they are a bit complex, but user friendly, and worth any penny. A great tool/toy for both professional, and amusement ;D

8" racktom
10" racktom
12" racktom
14" floortom

Roland VH13
Lemon Cymbals

Offline einarabelc5

« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2012, 05:23:20 PM »
Can anyone tell me how to use a DM10/Dm5 to trigger the 99 velocity layers on BFD 2?

Thank you.

Offline vaikl

« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2012, 05:40:53 PM »
Can anyone tell me how to use a DM10/Dm5 to trigger the 99 velocity layers on BFD 2?

Depending on the kit or expansion pack you've installed and loaded you could have up to 124 velocity layers ;)

Just experience with the dozens of parameters for each kit piece (like I wrote in the other thread) and you'll get a feeling for the right play of the DM. The many layers weren't intended to get exactly triggered in a way that i.e. velocity value 103 from the module will sound equal on all kit pieces with all different settings, but to get the most smoothing transition between different layers.

« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2012, 01:51:46 PM »
James,

Nice application, well done.

Before I blow up my unit, will this work with the SR-18?  Please advise.

Thanks,
S
GEAR:
-Alesis SR-18 with Firmware ld32-app-1.02.syx
-Alesis Q49
-QTractor
-Mackie Blackjack
-Sony OE Headphones
-Shure IE Monitors

« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2012, 09:10:25 AM »
Lovely job on the VST.

I'm currently using Native Instruments Studio Drummer and the sound quality is quite impressive directly out of the box although some minor tweeks will enhance the sounds!
It's a real shame that the hi hat is not continuos because it is just not real to use it either closed or wide open! Does anybody knows if there's a way to make the hi hat continuous or if they are going to release and update to fix that matter?

Also, I have just bought mixosaurus and the librabry is HUGE does anybody has it and can tell me how does it work with the DM10 please?

thank you guys!