Author Topic: DM10 Studio: Double Snare Hits  (Read 2108 times)

DM10 Studio: Double Snare Hits
« on: July 08, 2010, 10:38:20 AM »
Hello everyone,

So I've had my studio kit for around a month now, and I've been using it a lot to record music with my band (using Cubase SX3.0 and Superior Drummer 2.2).

Overall it feels great, and everything's been working fine, but this last week I started to hear a glitch on my snare hits: whenever I play, at times, my snare (and only the snare) records double hits (like flas) instead of single ones.

It is not systematic, but still quite frequent, and I've tried meddling with pretty much every parameter on the module, to no avail; hence I'm asking you: has anybody had this same problem? Or is there something I'm missing?

I'm slightly afraid I might be hitting it too hard... but I don't know how too hard is, so I don't know. Bit of a vicious circle.

Thanks in advance for your wise counsel.

Offline Rev2010

Re: DM10 Studio: Double Snare Hits
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 11:19:06 AM »
I know you said you messed around with the settings but the two primary ones to look at for this are the Retrigger and Threshold settings. By increasing the retrigger it will elminate shadow hits, hits that come immediately after and was not intended. Roland has this feature too. If your threshold is too low you will also get these false notes simply from vibration.

Lastly, if you have a snare drum stand laying around or could borrow one to test, try seeing how it goes with the snare on it's own stand. Stands are cheap so if you go that route it won't cost much at all.

Rev.

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 11:44:43 AM »
I agree w/ Rev... snare stand!  It will feel more "solid" too, especially since you said you're a hard hitter.  Also, try messing with the head tension.  Is it where you want it for feel?  There is an optimum head tension range for best triggering; experiment with that.  I have found, on MESH heads anyway, that the tighter the better for snare triggering.... but as you know, mesh heads never get as tight as mylar can.

Jer
Taye GoKit with Pintech trigger conversions, Hart mesh heads, Zildjian Gen16 AE cymbals, Pintech Nimrods, and various and ever-changing accessories

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 12:21:23 PM »
Well, apparently, I haven't damaged my snare, and so it appears I ain't that much of a hard hitter :)

I tried to change the retrigger parameter and it worked: no more double snare hits.

Thanks to you all, next time I say I've checked something, I'll mean it :)

Offline Rev2010

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 01:40:50 PM »
Thanks to you all, next time I say I've checked something, I'll mean it :)

Glad to be of help man! And I too am guilty of having before said I'd gone through all the settings when it turned out a certain setting was causing an issue for me  :)

Rev.