Author Topic: HiHat & Trigger I/O  (Read 2945 times)

HiHat & Trigger I/O
« on: July 07, 2010, 11:40:25 PM »
Been reading all your mail RE Hat & DM 10 but none really directed solely @ the Trigger I/O.

Is there a way to rig the the I/O into accepting some type of HH where I can at least use 2 zones (edge [tip]  & shank [bow]) aside from open/close/down?

My set, a USB Pro (which will be here tomorrow), comes w/ the standard Surge single zone hat.
If I can't work w/ what I have can I substitute some type of Yamaha, Roland, SmartTrigger or Pintech, etc. pad into the I/O to get more out of it?

Offline Rev2010

Re: HiHat & Trigger I/O
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 12:11:47 AM »
Is there a way to rig the the I/O into accepting some type of HH where I can at least use 2 zones (edge [tip]  & shank [bow]

Just to clarify, you have it reversed. The tip  is not the edge but rather the bow of the hihat and the edge is the shank. I don't own the Trigger IO but  know for a fact you can't do it with your Surge hihat as it's single zone only. If you get a dual zone cymbal, be it the Surge, Smartrigger, Roland CY pad or whatever then yes you can do it.... *however* since the Alesis modules (inlcuding the Trigger IO) do not support aftertouch you will get max velocity on whichever sound you assign to the edge (switch trigger) of the cymbal. Hope that helps. By the way, some people have been circumventing the cymbal zone issues on the Alesis modules by either picking up a Roland TMC-6 or even better a used Roland module such as the TD-3 or TD-6V on Ebay for the cymbal triggering. The caveat is you will need to power two modules and midi chain them or use two midi inputs on your midi interface.

Rev.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 12:19:06 AM by Rev2010 »

Online Hellfire

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 09:37:49 AM »
Been reading all your mail RE Hat & DM 10 but none really directed solely @ the Trigger I/O.

Is there a way to rig the the I/O into accepting some type of HH where I can at least use 2 zones (edge [tip]  & shank [bow]) aside from open/close/down?

My set, a USB Pro (which will be here tomorrow), comes w/ the standard Surge single zone hat.
If I can't work w/ what I have can I substitute some type of Yamaha, Roland, SmartTrigger or Pintech, etc. pad into the I/O to get more out of it?
Yes, and No. Even though the HH input on the Trigger I/O is dual zone, the HH control only controls the bow zone. I do know that some VST's let you assign midi notes to be controlled via the HH control input signal. If yours lets you do that then you are much closer to making it happen. Here is the other issue however, you can only use a piezo/piezo dual zone type trigger. That is because even though you can set the Trigger I/O for piezo/switch, that switch can only be used as a choke. That is because using a switch zone that you hit with a stick only works on input #4 of the I/O. Alesis seems to have programed the switch setting on the I/O in such a way that the switch must be closed for a minimum length of time before it considers it closed. If you are using foot switches or if you are grabbing the switch like choking a cymbal, then the I/O will see it as closed. However if you try to just hit the switch with your stick, the I/O will not see the switch as closed because the switch wasn't closed long enough. The only input that this is different is input #4, which is hard coded for piezo/switch. On input #4 you can use a switch as a stick hittable zone but you will have no velocity on that switch. I hope that helps.

Offline Rev2010

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 11:11:59 AM »
Interesting Phil, I didn't know that!

Rev.

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 10:26:31 PM »
Thanks Hellfire  (Phil?). That helped a lot!

Online Hellfire

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2010, 11:24:13 PM »
Thanks Hellfire  (Phil?). That helped a lot!
No problem.