Author Topic: Dual-Zone HH in DM10  (Read 3780 times)

Dual-Zone HH in DM10
« on: July 06, 2010, 02:56:05 PM »
Although there is no drum note number chart in the manual ( >:(), there ARE sampled sounds for edge on the hi-hat!  They are on note numbers in the 20's (I forget exactly...) and can be triggered through midi, and controlled with the pedal.  It amazes me that Alesis chose to have the trig inputs of the HH and crash in MONO.  What the !@#$?  But, it appears that with the use of the Roland TMC-6, you should be able to use a dual-zone HH trigger with full control and velocity sensitivity on edge and bow.  I just ordered one; if it works I will post.  I hope they fix this issue someday.

Jer
Taye GoKit with Pintech trigger conversions, Hart mesh heads, Zildjian Gen16 AE cymbals, Pintech Nimrods, and various and ever-changing accessories

Offline Hellfire

Re: Dual-Zone HH in DM10
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 04:57:50 PM »
Although there is no drum note number chart in the manual ( >:(), there ARE sampled sounds for edge on the hi-hat!  They are on note numbers in the 20's (I forget exactly...) and can be triggered through midi, and controlled with the pedal.  It amazes me that Alesis chose to have the trig inputs of the HH and crash in MONO.  What the !@#$?  But, it appears that with the use of the Roland TMC-6, you should be able to use a dual-zone HH trigger with full control and velocity sensitivity on edge and bow.  I just ordered one; if it works I will post.  I hope they fix this issue someday.

Jer
A lot of people would love a DM10 with dual zone hats. Keep in mind this is Alesis's first module with a variable hi-hat and built in choke cymbals. I hope use the TMC-6 in the way you describe works. I've used the DM10 with the Alesis Trigger I/O and found that the variable hi-hat control only works with the DM10 Hi-hat input. Well, sort of. It reads the CC#4 from the Trigger I/O as it is moving but, as soon as it stops moving it reverts back to open hi-hat. Just a little FYI.

Since you mentioned using a TMC-6 you might find this topic of interest (if you don't already know):

DM10 Expansion with Trigger I/O & ControlPad

The TMC-6 should function just as well as a Trigger I/O with the DM10.

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 05:41:51 PM »
Quote from: Hellfire link=topic=476.msg3847#msg3847

I am hoping it functions BETTER than the TI/O... I believe it adds velocity sensitivity on the switch trigs as well.  I will experiment and report!

Jer
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 09:19:14 PM by Hellfire »
Taye GoKit with Pintech trigger conversions, Hart mesh heads, Zildjian Gen16 AE cymbals, Pintech Nimrods, and various and ever-changing accessories

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 07:17:09 PM »
Quote from: Hellfire link=topic=476.msg3847#msg3847

I am hoping it functions BETTER than the TI/O... I believe it adds velocity sensitivity on the switch trigs as well.  I will experiment and report!

Jer
It should. It would be no different then if you hooked up any Roland module. For a time I had a Roland TD-8 connected in to the DM10 and because the TD-8 handles the switches the way it does, you get a velocity on your switches as well.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 09:18:45 PM by Hellfire »

Offline Rev2010

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 07:47:10 PM »
For a time I had a Roland TD-8 connected in to the DM10 and because the TD-8 handles the switches the way it does, you get a velocity on your switches as well.

Hey Phil... so you had a TD-8 hooked into a DM10 and it gave velocity sensitivity on switch triggers as well in the DM10? I'm perplexed because I thought the whole issue with the DM10 was not *receiving* velocity sensitivity. If it's not receiving aftertouch then what is the DM10 receiving from the TD-8 to tell it what velocity the strike is?

Since my drummer and I are mainly using DFH Superior for our drum sounds now I was thinking of possibly picking up a Roland TMI so we can trigger both zones and with velocity, and even choke! Would be killer if that also worked when controlling the cymbals via the Roland TMI into the DM10.

Rev.

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 09:17:47 PM »
For a time I had a Roland TD-8 connected in to the DM10 and because the TD-8 handles the switches the way it does, you get a velocity on your switches as well.

Hey Phil... so you had a TD-8 hooked into a DM10 and it gave velocity sensitivity on switch triggers as well in the DM10? I'm perplexed because I thought the whole issue with the DM10 was not *receiving* velocity sensitivity. If it's not receiving aftertouch then what is the DM10 receiving from the TD-8 to tell it what velocity the strike is?
Sorry for the vagueness of my statement. I was trying to get it in before I had to go to the store.

Basically, you would plug all of your cymbals that you want as dual zone in the TD-8. Connect the TD-8 via midi to the DM10. Now, the TD-8 only sends the velocity and midi note numbers. The TD-8's software handles the switch zone velocity (not the DM10). That means the TD-8 will send (assuming standard Roland cy-6 or 8 type cymbal trigger) a midi note and velocity for both the bow and the edge. Now, this only works for zone separation, the DM10 still can not handle the choke signal from the TD-8. The DM10 always looks for a midi note for any action, including choke functions. I hope that helps.

Offline Rev2010

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 09:41:16 PM »
Awesome, totally does help. Thanks Phil!!

Rev.

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 10:25:51 PM »
I am hoping this is exactly what I'll get using the TMC-6.  If so, I will use 5 dual-zone cyms and a dual HH, and will be EXTREMELY happy with the setup!

Jer

Offline Guinness

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 10:41:08 PM »
Please keep us posted.   This is very interesting.