Author Topic: Logic Pro X and EZ Drummer 2 don't recognize my Alesis DM6  (Read 3325 times)

Logic Pro X and EZ Drummer 2 don't recognize my Alesis DM6
« on: August 04, 2019, 10:10:59 PM »
Dear all,

Please, I need help! I bought Alesis DM6 and connected it via USB to my Mac. But even the Mac recognizes the drums, neither Logic Pro X nor EZ Drummer 2 can't automatically recognize my Alesis DM6. You can see the photos below.
Please, I need to know what I can do to fix this?

Offline Chaser

Re: Logic Pro X and EZ Drummer 2 don't recognize my Alesis DM6
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 10:52:40 PM »
Dear all,

Please, I need help! I bought Alesis DM6 and connected it via USB to my Mac. But even the Mac recognizes the drums, neither Logic Pro X nor EZ Drummer 2 can't automatically recognize my Alesis DM6. You can see the photos below.
Please, I need to know what I can do to fix this?
The module has class compliant drivers which is why the Mac can see it.
The module needs to be set to GM Format to send midi
To select the MIDI output format:
1. Press PATTERN to enter Pattern Select Mode.
2. Press VALUE +/- to select "P–N" (internal format, the default setting) or "––N" (GM format).
See if that helps

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 06:44:38 AM »
Thank you for prompt reply. I put in both modes, but the Mac does not recognize the drum.  Is there any other way?  Do I need to update the module firmware?

Offline Chaser

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 10:13:42 AM »
Thank you for prompt reply. I put in both modes, but the Mac does not recognize the drum.  Is there any other way?  Do I need to update the module firmware?
You stated in previous post and the image shows "Barramento USB 2.0" e-drum medeli.. the Mac recognizes the module.
The DM6(Medeli DD501) is a very old module..very old drivers (10+ years) and hasn't had a firmware update since 2012.
ALL DM6 modules produced after 04/2012 had the firmware update in them
There was never an updater for Mac..Windows only and the Mac OS has changed multiple times and how the OS handles tracking old MIDI devices..

Try using a different USB port...make sure you are not using an external USB hub.
If no change..
With midi devices plugged into USB ports..

Open Audio MIDI Setup. This is located in the Applications > Utilities folder.
From the menu bar, select Window > Show MIDI Window.
From the drop-down at the top left of the MIDI window, select New Configuration.
Name the new configuration.
This will cause OS X to rescan for any current MIDI devices, but also remove any old ones that are no longer connected.
Sometimes old “remembered” devices can interrupt MIDI communications on Macs.
Now, double-click on the IAC Driver icon. This will bring up a new window.
At the bottom left you’ll see a Ports section. Select any ports listed in there and click the minus button below to remove them all.
This will remove any "remembered" midi devices that aren't connected and you should be left with No Available Ports.
Any new midi device will then be added when plugged into a USB port. 

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 11:22:22 AM »
You stated in previous post and the image shows "Barramento USB 2.0" e-drum medeli.. the Mac recognizes the module.
The DM6(Medeli DD501) is a very old module..very old drivers (10+ years) and hasn't had a firmware update since 2012.
ALL DM6 modules produced after 04/2012 had the firmware update in them
There was never an updater for Mac..Windows only and the Mac OS has changed multiple times and how the OS handles tracking old MIDI devices..

Try using a different USB port...make sure you are not using an external USB hub.
If no change..
With midi devices plugged into USB ports..

Open Audio MIDI Setup. This is located in the Applications > Utilities folder.
From the menu bar, select Window > Show MIDI Window.
From the drop-down at the top left of the MIDI window, select New Configuration.
Name the new configuration.
This will cause OS X to rescan for any current MIDI devices, but also remove any old ones that are no longer connected.
Sometimes old “remembered” devices can interrupt MIDI communications on Macs.
Now, double-click on the IAC Driver icon. This will bring up a new window.
At the bottom left you’ll see a Ports section. Select any ports listed in there and click the minus button below to remove them all.
This will remove any "remembered" midi devices that aren't connected and you should be left with No Available Ports.
Any new midi device will then be added when plugged into a USB port.

I followed his instructions, but still EZ Drummer and Logic Pro X didn't even recognize the drums. I don't know what I can do anymore, because he doesn't even recognize in audio midi setup. Attached is a photo of the midi audio folder with the modifications.

Offline Chaser

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 11:42:53 AM »
If the module(device)is plugged in(online)..the "device is online" box needs to be checked.
Change USB ports,try a different USB cable.If you have another computer connect the DM6 to it and see if it shows up.If it still isn't recognized check the USB class compliant troubleshooting for Mac OSX
Troubleshooting Class Compliant USB Computer Peripherals
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 01:22:50 PM by Chaser »