Author Topic: Just bought a Strike  (Read 1512 times)

Just bought a Strike
« on: November 22, 2018, 12:52:13 PM »
Hi all, I just bought a Strike kit and although when I tried it with my headphones on the first day, I loved it, I found it lacking in some areas when trying it at band practice.
Love the kit but hate the cymbals, especially the stupid loud click if you so much as move the hihat pedal... anyone tried Zildjian Gen 16 BBs?

Offline iCe

Re: Just bought a Strike
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 06:39:01 AM »
Electric cymbals are inferior to real cymbals and you'll always have that 'tock' sound when you play them. I haven't read very favorable reviews of the Gen 16's. Been researching those myself in hopes that i can use them as trigger sources, but the Gen 16 module with the pickups amplify the sound. And to be honest they sound like crap to me.

I'm in the process of converting an acoustic set to an electric set with triggers. I've found a site (Stealth Drums) where you can order triggers for almost any cymbal to convert them to electric cymbals (that trigger a sound). I have a set of Zildjian L80's and I'm about to order a set of those triggers. There's also a guy in Italy who does that, but only sells (at the moment) complete cymbals with triggers.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 06:40:41 AM by iCe »
Alesis DM10 Studio kit with 682drums mesh heads
Asus F551MAV-BING-SX1008B - Laptop

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 06:58:14 PM »
Hi, iCe,
I just bought the 13, 16, 18 Gen 16 BB set so I hope the reviews were wrong...  ;)
They are not triggers, they have a vibration sensor which is transmitted to a module giving individual control over each cymbal.
If you have the L80s, you can get the sensors and module seperately and fit them to your L80s but they have a different tone to the BBs.
I went to see a pro drummer, who teaches as well, to try his out last week, he had the L80s with sensors and an accoustic kit converted to mesh heads. sounded good.
I tried the BBs in the store and they feel and sound just like the real thing, (which they are, just full of holes...) when through the module (I had headphones on direct to the module) they sound great, but they do sound crap without it.
The module can alter the individual sound (there are presets on each channel) but they are true sounds not samples, it's the actual sound of the cymbal amplified and modulated.
I'm going to set them up on the kit and have a play tomorrow, looking forward to it. I'll probably keep the Alesis ones as additional crash cymbals, I could even use the top hi-hat one as a splash...  :D I'll set them up on the boom stands from my acoustic kit.

Offline iCe

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 02:25:39 AM »
The main reason i went with the L80 conversion is that it is way cheaper. The Gen16 module costs around €350 without pickups, so i would have to get those as well. Which are €129 a piece, total €516 and meaning €866 for the total set. While getting a electric conversion set for the L80's will set me back €380 and i can trigger any cymbal sound i want, which is much more appealing hehe

Looking forward to your review of the Gen16's!
Alesis DM10 Studio kit with 682drums mesh heads
Asus F551MAV-BING-SX1008B - Laptop