Author Topic: Alesis Mylar Heads  (Read 6164 times)

Alesis Mylar Heads
« on: May 19, 2010, 05:12:52 PM »

I'm dying to see what you guys think of the DM10 mylar heads. I haven't ordered one for a video "play test" yet.

There's a bunch of videos out there detailing the difference between heads.  i've played on these heads and they feel good, but are accoustically quite loud.   also, after a decent amount of use, the pad directly underneath the head feels lumpy.

I'll be converting my new kit to mesh in short order.  (Billy Blast mesh heads, with Dot (except for the kick).)

What's the reason for not getting the patch for the kick drum head?  I already ordered all my new mesh heads and got patches on all of them. 

Offline Guinness

Alesis Mylar Heads
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 06:05:43 PM »
I've since added a patch to the kick.  (and incidentially removed the patches on the toms and snare.)

Alesis Mylar Heads
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 05:13:55 PM »
it could be my style of play but cannot understand this desire to replace the heads?? also why are they going lumpy??? mine aren't yet and they get played loads both by me in the studio and out live, and also my hard hitting son...are you using lump hammers?
Iknow heads are personal choice as with acoustic drums, but why buy a real head kit just to go and copy a rival mesh manufacture??? just seems a little backward, and indeed costly - I presume the warrenty goes out the window..
Rob
Drumming the beat to life...

Offline DeeDubs

Alesis Mylar Heads
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 10:18:24 AM »
it could be my style of play but cannot understand this desire to replace the heads?? also why are they going lumpy??? mine aren't yet and they get played loads both by me in the studio and out live, and also my hard hitting son...are you using lump hammers?
Iknow heads are personal choice as with acoustic drums, but why buy a real head kit just to go and copy a rival mesh manufacture??? just seems a little backward, and indeed costly - I presume the warrenty goes out the window..
Rob

From what I gather, those that switch to mesh heads, mostly do so to quiet down the noise generated by the pads, and avoid the 'phone book' sounds, and I don't think it voids the warranty unless they mess around with the guts beneath the heads (which is part of the HF mod). Caveat emptor. Personally I like the feel of the mylar heads, which rivals my acoustic kit. If I get complaints about the noise, I go play that one :D

As far as lumps in the pad go, I think that has a bunch to do with drumming technique, tom angle, and playing style. I haven't really experienced any lumpiness as of yet myself, but I've created some well cratered drum heads myself back in the day, which I think could be a contributing factor to the lumpiness.

For me, economics changed my playing style - while it was cool at one point to bash like an animal and break stuff all the time, my wallet couldn't support my habit. ;) I eventually learned to be more fluid, and hit with a style less like a baseball bat and more like a katana.

With that said, I still break sticks occasionally.. :D

Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com

Offline Guinness

Re: Alesis Mylar Heads
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 11:59:20 AM »
I split this topic off, as we sorta hijacked the Alesis Components sticky.

As for lumpy, allow me to explain.  DeeDubs... if you feel your current heads, you'll feel the foam underneath has indentations.  It seems that foam (directly above and attached to the reflection plate) is not resiliant like the thicker foam underneath it.  It has memory and remembers all hard hits.  The head or skin itself is not dented or lumpy, just the foam underneath.   At least that's how I remember feeling it.   It's not a problem really, just feels wierd.  (If that makes sense.)

I don't always hit hard, like a baseball bat, but if a particular tune is at a point where there's some heavy passion, I will give the snare, etc....  a full strike. (as if it gets louder, but it doesn't, as a medium-high hit triggers a full note.  I suppose I could tweak the settings to get the snare, etc to be louder on a full strike vs a med-high strike.  But it's not that important to me.)

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 01:16:22 PM »
Guinness,

it's all good..

Didn't mean to sound "leet" or bash on anyone's technique here (pun intended).. I was only trying to relay that I used to dent the sh*t outta my heads..

I'll check out my pads when I get home. Worst case, it should be like $2 for another piece of foam if it ever bothers me that much ;)

Keep rockin!

~D~
Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 02:27:59 PM »
I do know that if the head is not tight enough you will get denting. This is true of all mylar heads.

BTW, Thanks for splitting off the topic Guinness.