Author Topic: DM10 Studio Kit Hi-Hat Help  (Read 2668 times)

DM10 Studio Kit Hi-Hat Help
« on: May 23, 2010, 10:48:40 AM »
Hey guys - so I just got my dm10 studio kit the other day and loving it so far. My only big issue right now is getting the hi-hat to sound good. For one, I'm finding it impossible to get the open/close sound, you know...the one that sounds like "pssst". I try just barely picking my foot up to make the sound but it doesn't really work too well. Then sometimes it will just got to the foot splash sound out of nowhere.

So I was wondering if any of you can give some tips on tweaking the high hat to make it sound good, do that pssst noise, and also how do you control doing the chik sound as opposed to the foot splash sound when stepping on the pedal?

Hope that makes sense and thanks in advance! :-)

Offline DeeDubs

Re: DM10 Studio Kit Hi-Hat Help
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 11:11:19 AM »
Hey Achnuman,

First, welcome to the forum!!

I can tell you there's a little bit of a learning curve to get the HiHat.

First, make sure that you do the HiHat Calibration - (If you don't know what I'm talking about here, watch Hellfire's videos here http://www.hellfiredrums.com/archives/744 (Video #3))

I also have a somewhat crazy idea that I want to try which I'll share with you here (I'll test this later on) to get the half closed hat (what I gather to be the "psst") sound..

There is a setting lug (drum key screw) at the end of the HiHat pedal. Loosen it a bit and extend the pedal to it's fullest (most open) position then re-tighten it. Now go to the DM10 and do the HiHat calibration. Once it's complete, loosen the pedal screw again and set it to halfway closed.

Let me know how this works - in theory (or at least in my demented head), it should react like a half closed hat setup.

Like I said, I'll test this out on my own kit later on.. I had a moment of coffee enlightenment ;)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 11:24:43 AM by DeeDubs »
Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 04:11:07 PM »
I was wondering about this same thing. It should work and if I remember I'm going to try it tonight. I with there was a drop clutch button for double bass also.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 05:28:00 PM »
i'm not one to give advice on the hh, as mine only works right when it's out of calibration.   And the travel distance between closed, half, and open is maybe 1 inch.  I constantly struggle keeping it set in half vs open.  What's my point?  Not sure I have one. LOL...  Other than, i recall hearing the foot chik and splash all the time at the beginning and it was sort of annoying.   Now, I don't hear it, unless I do it on purpose.  goes back to that learning curve thing.  You'll learn to play the hh and only get those sounds when you want them.

My two cents...  :)   (No refunds.   ;D