Author Topic: Dialing in the Trigger iO  (Read 2891 times)

Dialing in the Trigger iO
« on: May 13, 2010, 04:16:05 PM »
So I've had the Alesis USB Pro kit for about a month and so far I'm pretty happy with it.  However, I'm still fine tuning the sensitivity/x-talk/etc and I was wondering if anyone could provide some tips on how they've set theirs up.

Specifically, what gain, threshold, x-talk, and retrigger values do you use as a baseline for the different kit components and what are you adjusting to get it fine tuned?  Also, has anyone experimented with making adjustments in the software?  I'm using Addictive Drums.

Offline Guinness

Re: Dialing in the Trigger iO
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 04:52:29 PM »
Sorry I don't know much about the Trigger IO, but out of curiousity, what are you experiencing in that it still needs to be tweeked?  Too much xtalk?  Poor sensitivity?

Offline ghostman

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 05:16:36 PM »
So I've had the Alesis USB Pro kit for about a month and so far I'm pretty happy with it.  However, I'm still fine tuning the sensitivity/x-talk/etc and I was wondering if anyone could provide some tips on how they've set theirs up.

Specifically, what gain, threshold, x-talk, and retrigger values do you use as a baseline for the different kit components and what are you adjusting to get it fine tuned?  Also, has anyone experimented with making adjustments in the software?  I'm using Addictive Drums.

When I first was dialing in my IO, I set threshold to the lowest (3?) and gain to the highest (20??).

Then, I dialed down gain, as this was counter-productive - getting max volume out of softer hits..

I cranked x-talk for a week and figured out that my hi-hat was canceling out my bass drum, and toms weren't able to be played simultaneously anymore.

you basically have to take a scientific approach.  Change ONE thing, play the pad (and others for xtalk / re-trigger) at different velocities, and adjust.

I tend to min/max for testing.  meaning, set something to minimum, play some pads, set it to maximum, play pads, note differences, and then figure out where I should be (min or max, middle, low, high, etc).

And since I am a DIY'er (built my drums) my settings won't be the same for you.

You will probably always constantly tweak, I still do, and I've had my IO for 2 years now.  although, I have changed my MIDI sources - KORG keyboard, BFD Lite, GarageBand MIDI, StevenSlateDrums, RockBand / Guitar Hero.

Kinda sad, the DM10 came in and now the IO is the red-headed step child.
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 05:30:07 PM »
Thanks for the tips.  I think it might be due to my technique (being that I'm a brand new drummer), but when doing things like drum rolls it sounds like there is not much variation in the velocity being picked up.  It's either soft or full volume.  If I test the pad by just hitting it with different degrees or force, it seems to have a good range of velocity...but rolls throw it off.

Really I think I've got it configured relatively well.  I'm sure I'll continuously tweak it, but I was curious as to other people's methodology for getting their trigger iO dialed in.

For example, this guy on youtube sets gain to 20, maxes out threshold, then backs down threshold and gain until he gets the velocity range dialed in.  I think I'll give that a try too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqQgK-ze9gY

Offline ghostman

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 07:38:17 PM »
If I test the pad by just hitting it with different degrees or force, it seems to have a good range of velocity...but rolls throw it off.

Then tune for rolls!  :D
mmmmmm, spicy tuna roll..
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 08:44:23 PM »
I've tried!   :D

I've tried setting retrigger to 0, low threshold, low x-talk, etc.  I'm going to tinker with it some more tonight and see what I can come up with.