Author Topic: Problem with Volume and a loud acoustic sound  (Read 2415 times)

Problem with Volume and a loud acoustic sound
« on: May 05, 2010, 10:33:19 AM »
Hi Everyone,

When I first setup my DM10 Pro Kit, the volume for each pad was very low. I then adjusted the sensitivity and volume (to the highest level) for each pad in the module, it is better. Also I had to turn the volume from the equalizer to the highest level for each of the settings. Is this normal? I don't think I can set the volume level on the equalizer to anything but the highest level, which I think something is wrong. Also, given the above setting, I can still hear the acoustic noise from hitting each pad with my headphones on, especially the kick drum, which is annoying. So I set the headphone levels to quite high to try and block the acoustic noise level.

Any suggestions on this? How can I set the volume higher or the acoustic levels of hitting the pad lower? Or both??

Thanks!!

Bigpow

Offline Hellfire

Re: Problem with Volume and a loud acoustic sound
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 12:55:14 PM »
Hi Everyone,

When I first setup my DM10 Pro Kit, the volume for each pad was very low. I then adjusted the sensitivity and volume (to the highest level) for each pad in the module, it is better. Also I had to turn the volume from the equalizer to the highest level for each of the settings. Is this normal? I don't think I can set the volume level on the equalizer to anything but the highest level, which I think something is wrong. Also, given the above setting, I can still hear the acoustic noise from hitting each pad with my headphones on, especially the kick drum, which is annoying. So I set the headphone levels to quite high to try and block the acoustic noise level.

Any suggestions on this? How can I set the volume higher or the acoustic levels of hitting the pad lower? Or both??

Thanks!!

Bigpow
Welcome to the forum Bigpow. You need to adjust your sensitivity higher. I would bet you are hitting your trigger really hard just to get them to sound louder. Check the manual (as I don't have it handy right now). There is an over all sensitivity under the UTILITY button menu. Adjust that first, then you can adjust each trigger if need be.

What kind of headphones are you using. You want full size headphones not ear buds or those mini headphones. I hope that helps.

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 05:44:04 PM »
need to mix pads to level that makes kit ok and then turn the master volume up to increase everything, if you mix all loud then just get a loud mix which is not really what you are looking for if you see what I mean...

Rob
Drumming the beat to life...

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 09:00:55 AM »
Hi Hellfire and Robbo,

Thanks for your reply! (I am really glad that I got replies within 24hrs of posting, that's great!!)

I have set the overall sensitivity to high, and then for each pad, they are set to around 80. For the equalizer setting, I understand to set each to a level that mix well, but when I set say the toms to the middle levels, I can barely hear it.  compare to other pads.

Headphones...I am using one of those that covers the ear fully, not those plug in ones.

Do you think it is the pad's tension that may affect this? If you think it is purely the module settings, is that anything I may have missed?

Many thanks for your replies!! :D

Bigpow

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 03:12:38 PM »
Hi again,
Pad tension is purely a feeling thingy...! ie its for the real head feel or indeed mesh head feel, but does not affect the sound from a module.
As for hearing the actual hit -you are going to ! especially with the surge cymbals I've found. Real heads and surge will always be louder than mesh and rubber (after all they are drums and cymbals - not pads). The only time I've found this not a problem is when in the local store with a performance amp turned up...lol...fun but loud.
The problem with ekits of any nature is that they are not acoustic so sound comes from different areas...ie amp/phones/speakers and not the actual thing hit.
Hope this helps.

Rob
Drumming the beat to life...