Author Topic: Record separately dm10 sounds. Audacity ?  (Read 5367 times)

Record separately dm10 sounds. Audacity ?
« on: May 04, 2010, 03:01:32 PM »
Hey hey everybody !
Just a simple question.
I'm on mac, and I'm searching for a software or a solution that can allow me to record each track from the dm10 separately (I mean bass-drum; snare; cymbals...), so that I can modify sound, equalizer... after.
A bit like the garage band tracks. Would there be a solution for that ? USB maybe ?
And with which software ?
Thanks a lot guys ;).
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 03:06:23 PM by Thomas159 »

Offline Hellfire

Re: Record separately dm10 sounds. Audacity ?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 03:55:31 PM »
Hey hey everybody !
Just a simple question.
I'm on mac, and I'm searching for a software or a solution that can allow me to record each track from the dm10 separately (I mean bass-drum; snare; cymbals...), so that I can modify sound, equalizer... after.
A bit like the garage band tracks. Would there be a solution for that ? USB maybe ?
And with which software ?
Thanks a lot guys ;).
You are going to need more than software. You are going to need a piece of hardware as well. You can only send audio out of the four outputs of the DM10. Because of this, you will need something that allows a 4 track simultaneous record function. Or you could just record one at a time. You can not record the audio out of the DM10's USB port. That is only for updating and midi.

You can use the USB port to control the drum kits inside GarageBand however. ;)

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 04:41:56 PM »
Okay thanks phil ;). If I use my dm10 with garageband can i separate all the drum pieces into different tracks ? :) Thanks ;).

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 05:07:14 PM »
I haven't yet tried this, but I think if I needed to have separate tracks, I would record MIDI first on one track and then re-record each track using the MIDI performance to trigger the DM10. I'd look into using something like MIDI-OX to only allow one note at a time (i.e note 38 for snare, etc.) for each track.

or you could just mute the unwanted tracks with the mixer..  ;D

Theoretically it should work, but like I said, I haven't tried it in real life yet..

Good luck!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 09:01:24 AM by DeeDubs »
Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 04:19:56 AM »
So I'll need a midi cable to trigger the dm10's module right ? Thanks :).

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 12:32:21 PM »
So I'll need a midi cable to trigger the dm10's module right ? Thanks :).
You can use a USB cable if you are using it with your mac. That USB is a type of midi connection. Remember Midi and audio are two different things. Recording the midi will only allow you to trigger the drum sounds within GarageBand. If you want the actual sound of the DM10 you will need to record one track at a time from the main outs of the DM10.