Author Topic: Crosstalk on the DM 10 Studio  (Read 2558 times)

Crosstalk on the DM 10 Studio
« on: April 30, 2010, 07:50:01 PM »
I'm beginning to get a grip on crosstalk, but still would like some clarification.  I'd like others to mention what pieces were causing crosstalk problems in their kits and how they were solved.  My son's kit is on a Pergo wood floor which may cause more problems than carpet or pad.  My biggest problem has been with Tom 4 (Perc. 3) I have adjusted both the send and receive signals because of its characteristics.  I mostly adjusted receive as it was easily triggered by many other cymbals and toms.  The kick, snare, and hat (left side) seemed pretty set with no crosstalk.

Another issue I've had is with the triple-zone ride.  I find it easy to get the bow sound, sorta hard and not consistent with the bell sound, and most difficult with the edge sound.  Are others experiencing similar things?  What suggestions would make this better?  Please add all and any info you've dealt with crosstalk with your DM10.

Re: Crosstalk on the DM 10 Studio
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 08:54:01 PM »
With the ride, that's fairly common. If you were to just push down on the padding on the bell with your finger, you would hear the sound trigger as soon as you made contact underneath. Even if you push down slow and steady, you get the sound of a full impact bell trigger. I was thinking about taking mine apart and seeing if there was a way to mod it to get less of a gap in the bell.

With the cymbal edge you also pretty much need a full on strike with the edge of your stick to trigger that sound. I was able to find the sweet spot on mine where it requires much less force, so I positioned the cymbal accordingly. Try tapping all around the edge to see if yours has this also, mine was about 2 inches from the left edge of the rubber padding.

As far as the crosstalk though, I dont have much experience with that. Maybe try testing turning the sensitivity down and seeing if that helps?

Offline Guinness

Re: Crosstalk on the DM 10 Studio
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 01:31:55 AM »
While I have the surge cymbal, I have mine set up so that I only get the bow sound when I hit right on the piezo.  I do get it on the sides, but not as much.  My ride is positioned so that I naturally fall to that spot.  As for the bell, I usually side stick it.  It's not perfect, and could personally do some more tweaking, but I seem to have the 3 sounds pretty well isolated. 

I tell you this to demonstrate that it is doable... just gotta mess with the settings.

wood floors...  you might want to stuff the tubes with old t-shirts, or latex foam spray.  That might help.