Author Topic: utilizing dm10 outputs live  (Read 3972 times)

utilizing dm10 outputs live
« on: April 26, 2010, 08:07:54 PM »
just bought this dm10. 4 outputs, and it doesnt seem to do what i want it to do.

i want kick on main left out, snare on main right out, toms on aux's 1 and 2.

for example, no matter how hard i pan kick drum to the left, its still coming through the main right output. why is this? whats the point in having panning capabilities if the pan doesnt affect the main outputs?

and another question. when updating the dm10, bootv1.00e is denied being tossed into the dm10. screen says, "update failed, block protected, please try again."

all the other updates went through fine.

thanks!
jason

Re: utilizing dm10 outputs live
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 10:25:59 PM »
On the block protected error, I got that too on windows 7 till I ran the updater app in Administrator mode. If you're on Vista or Windows 7 try running it as an Administrator, if you're on xp not sure what you would do to correct that...

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 10:45:39 PM »
I'm shootin' from the hip, but I believe there is a good chance that your panning problem is a result of the effects routing.  They are not being sent to one side or the other.  This is what is causing the bleeding into other channels.

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 02:56:49 PM »
i using a macbook pro.

as for the routing, ill check out the fx to see if anything is being sent through it. but i want to run dry. no eq, or fx.

thanks,
jason

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 08:48:53 PM »
You've already turned off the write protect on the module itself right? I remember it took me a few tries to get the module itself to update boot block. Had to reboot it a few times, and double check that the write protect was off. The time I did get it to work I hit the "store" button instead of "drum kit" like the manual stated, and ran the updater as an Administrator. Could always try opening a terminal and running the app with the sudo command and see if it helps. Other than that I'm outta ideas  :-\

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 10:19:30 PM »
thanks quiza, ill keep trying.

do you think this firmware blocking issue could also result in the brains of the dm10 not properly routing the pan on the main outs like i want?

even the techs i talked to on the phone with alesis think im crazy. panning something from left to right is pretty easy to do. its not rocket science. even a monkey can do it. but for some reason, no matter how much i pan a sound to the left, its still coming out of the right 100%!!!

what aggravates me is panning is something i do for a living. im a "foh guy"  :D and i cant freakin figure out this stupid shit! lmao!

Online Hellfire

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 08:56:09 AM »
thanks quiza, ill keep trying.

do you think this firmware blocking issue could also result in the brains of the dm10 not properly routing the pan on the main outs like i want?

even the techs i talked to on the phone with alesis think im crazy. panning something from left to right is pretty easy to do. its not rocket science. even a monkey can do it. but for some reason, no matter how much i pan a sound to the left, its still coming out of the right 100%!!!

what aggravates me is panning is something i do for a living. im a "foh guy"  :D and i cant freakin figure out this stupid shit! lmao!
I have a dumb question. Are you checking these outputs at a mixer of some kind? And if you are, are you sure the your mixer is panned correctly as well too? I just thought I'd ask because you don't state how you are checking the outputs. Are you connecting one output at a time and checking it or are they all connected at once to a mixer of some kind?

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 11:11:34 AM »
yes, im checking these outputs with a typical 16ch. mixer. but i wouldnt need the mixers channels panned as each output on the dm10 would be a different drum. kick drum is main out left, snare is main out right, toms on the aux 1 and 2 outs. i wouldnt want the kick and snare panned on the mixer during a live show obviously because that wouldnt sound right. but i need them panned on the dm10 to make a drum mix live easier to manipulate.

yes, im checking one output at a time. just checking the main right output wondering why i still have kick in the right output when its panned hard left. this includes having both layer a and layer b panned hard left.

thanks,
j

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 04:15:36 PM »
alright i think i figured this thing out.

you have to physically have 2 cables connected to the left and right main out for the panning to work otherwise the dm10 will not pan if just one cable is connected regardless if your panning on the output that cable is connected to or not.

its like panning capabilities are bypassed unless you have 2 cables connected. never experienced this before in the field of live sound because it shouldnt matter how many cables are physically connected. typically, panning works no matter what.

hmmm. now, im gonna go eat and sleep. :)

Online Hellfire

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 05:20:28 PM »
alright i think i figured this thing out.

you have to physically have 2 cables connected to the left and right main out for the panning to work otherwise the dm10 will not pan if just one cable is connected regardless if your panning on the output that cable is connected to or not.

its like panning capabilities are bypassed unless you have 2 cables connected. never experienced this before in the field of live sound because it shouldnt matter how many cables are physically connected. typically, panning works no matter what.

hmmm. now, im gonna go eat and sleep. :)
Congrats on figuring it out and now the rest of us know what to do when we have the same issue. Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 05:21:16 PM »
no problemo!

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 03:22:51 PM »
When you're setting pannings for individual instruments, keep in mind that the DM10 has 2 layers (A and B). Each layer has the same parameters, and therefore each contains a panning parameter. Remember to change panning in both layers.
For example, if you pan your snare all the way to the right and still get a snare sound in the left channel, it's most likely the case that Layer B's pan needs to be adjusted as well.