Author Topic: DM10 Midi via USB  (Read 12624 times)

DM10 Midi via USB
« on: April 24, 2010, 03:36:11 PM »
Seems like I have read a couple of place that say the DM10 can send midi over the USB - but I have not been able to use this.  Is there a driver somewhere to download so that a USB connect DM10 shows up in (for example) cubase?
Everything works fine using an external midi interface, I am just trying to conserve some ports.

Offline Hellfire

Re: DM10 Midi via USB
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 04:10:49 PM »
Seems like I have read a couple of place that say the DM10 can send midi over the USB - but I have not been able to use this.  Is there a driver somewhere to download so that a USB connect DM10 shows up in (for example) cubase?
Everything works fine using an external midi interface, I am just trying to conserve some ports.
I wish I could help. I use a Mac and it auto shows as a midi device to select in Logic Express. Do you have a midi drop down anywhere in cubase that you can select the midi device you want to use?

BTW, Welcome to the forum.

Offline eugenecp

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 12:40:35 AM »
the USB drivers are automatically downloaded once you connect the DM10. I've had it work on Vista and Windows 7 64 bit.

been able to use it with several trial VST apps as MIDI input or output.

if it's not automatically downloaded, check on device manager and just force a driver update for any unknown USB device.

DM10 Pro Kit, Tama Iron Cobra Jr Double Bass Pedal, Tama 1st Chair HT530E5, Tascam US-122 Audio/MIDI interface

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 12:07:38 PM »
Nope, didn't happen. Automatically downloaded from where? I applied the sound update, and that happened over USB, so it's hooked up (not a bad wire or anything). Windows prompts for drivers, I have chosen auto and it is unable to find anything to install. No disk came with the unit. This is on XP, maybe Vista and WIn7 have a suitable built in Midi driver.
I don't think saving a midi port would be worth the risk of updating the OS for. There is far too much (pro music) stuff tied to this machine to take that risk. I will just run midi cables if there is no plans to support XP, but it would be nice to know for sure.

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 07:53:26 PM »
Have you done all the Windows XP updates?  You might get by with a PCI USB 2.0 card.  It should come with a disk with drivers.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 11:18:24 PM by Guinness »

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 08:20:41 PM »
I've had issues with xp and usb devices before I got my dm10, which required a registry hack in order to allow an install. I'm trying to dig up what steps I needed to go through..
Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com

Offline DeeDubs

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 08:24:25 PM »
ok this seems familiar..
http://forums.m-audio.com/showthread.php?3072-Problem-when-connecting-midi-devices-to-multiple-USB-ports

remember! Back up your windows registry before messing around in there!!
If you don't feel absolutely confident hacking the reg, then have someone else do it so you can choke them if they screw up the machine.. ;)
Bashing away on: Alesis DM10 Pro Kit w/ Bluejay soundset, Yamaha DTXM12, Addictive Drums, Gibraltar Cage & old skool Ludwig Maple Kit.

Check out my silly mug with "So What" at http://www.sowhatct.com

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 09:20:58 AM »
ok this seems familiar..
http://forums.m-audio.com/showthread.php?3072-Problem-when-connecting-midi-devices-to-multiple-USB-ports

Thanks DeeDubs, I thought that might do it, as there have been a number of devices installed and moved around on this machine. But still no joy. When I got to the registry it was only up to midi6, so I hadn't reached the 10 device limit. I deleted a couple of unused ones while I was there anyhow.

I'm looking at the device properties for the DM10 and they just don't look quite right - but I may be able to tweak the generic driver's .inf file and force it to work, assuming that it is supposed to be using the generic driver since I have not really heard a yes or no on that so far.

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 04:17:56 PM »
I had an opportunity to upgrade this computer over the weekend. New mobo/CPU and windows 7 x64.
Good news is that the DM10 showed up via USB. Bad news is that apparently UAD has some Windows 7 x64 issues and the computer is bricked at the moment :(
I'm sure glad I finished up open projects before I started this as I don't have any idea when I will be able to use the computer again (depends on when UAD gets around to fixing their problems).