Author Topic: Re: DM10 Output  (Read 6191 times)

Re: DM10 Output
« on: April 23, 2010, 05:36:57 AM »
Hey guys.
How can I record sound from my dm10 to my computer please ? I tried doing by the headphones plug (with an adaptor than can split one jack into two jacks) But I get a crapy sound with my bass drum.
What should i do to get a great sound into my computer ?
Thanks.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 12:48:06 PM »
Aux Out RCA jacks straight to the computer.  I have a 1/4" aux in on my PC, so I go from the RCA jacks to a trs 1/4" jack.  Then on XP, set the windows mixer to 'line in', instead of 'microphone'.

That's what I do.  :)

Offline ghostman

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 12:58:31 PM »
Aux Out RCA jacks straight to the computer.  I have a 1/4" aux in on my PC, so I go from the RCA jacks to a trs 1/4" jack.  Then on XP, set the windows mixer to 'line in', instead of 'microphone'.

That's what I do.  :)

BTW, the outs are not RCA:

MAIN OUT – Use 1/4" TS cables to connect these outputs to an
amplifier or speaker system. The volume of these outputs is
controlled by the MAIN VOL knob on the top panel.
AUX OUT – Use a 1/4" TS cables to connect these outputs to a monitor system or recording device.
The AUX OUT signal can be set to be identical to or independent of the MAIN OUT signal.

Otherwise the info is correct, I do the same.
Don't use the headphone jack for recording - ever!

Typically AUX is for monitors, MAIN is for PA / Recording.
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.

Re: Re: DM10 Output
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 01:31:48 PM »
A 1/4" TS cable has : on one side a normal jack
On the other side a mini jack ?
Is it that ?
Thanks.

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 01:37:49 PM »
EDIT : I see what cable it is.
I tested my AUX outputs by pluging headphones in it and no way to have a sound out of it.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 01:40:51 PM »
Ghost... you're right...  not RCA... those are "in".   I use 1/4 to rca  to mini. 

Sorry for the confusion.

Offline ghostman

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 03:45:03 PM »
Ghost... you're right...  not RCA... those are "in".   I use 1/4 to rca  to mini. 

Sorry for the confusion.

Just wanted to make sure he didn't go to Radio shack and come home w/ the wrong cables.

And as far as testing the AUX with headphones, you should get sound - out of one side, at least.  Plugging a stereo headphone jack into a mono R or L jack, you should get sound in one ear.  Unless there are settings to disable the AUX outs, or the volume is dialed down.  Did you try the MAIN outs?
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 06:09:03 PM »
I tried the main outs and they work, but for recording sound into my computer, I will need to have a stereo signal so the AUX seems great for that, but I haven't got sound out of it... Did you have similar problems ? Do you know how to change AUX outs volume ? Thanks a lot.

Offline ghostman

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 06:19:32 PM »
I tried the main outs and they work, but for recording sound into my computer, I will need to have a stereo signal so the AUX seems great for that, but I haven't got sound out of it... Did you have similar problems ? Do you know how to change AUX outs volume ? Thanks a lot.

Which is why you get a dual mono to stereo converter cable:
http://www.amazon.com/HOSA-CMP159-Stereo-Phone-Y-Cable/dp/B000068O3C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1272061150&sr=8-2

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 06:29:19 PM »
Thanks yeah I think I'm going to buy one =)
But for my AUX outs, do you know what I could do to have sound out from them ?

Offline Guinness

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 06:34:28 PM »
Thanks yeah I think I'm going to buy one =)
But for my AUX outs, do you know what I could do to have sound out from them ?

In the Utility menu, check to see that output is "Main&Aux".  There's another setting in there too.  Pretty intuitive.  You'll see what I mean.

Also, sounds dumb, sorry, but dont' forget to turn up the "main" volume knob.  :)

Alesis

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 08:02:23 PM »
We actually make a cable that's perfect for this: LineLink, which is a class-compliant stereo USB interface in a cable. Plug the two 1/4" connectors into your DM10's outputs and the USB jack into your computer. It'll work with virtually all audio software.

http://alesis.com/linelink

Have a great weekend!

Offline Guinness

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 11:59:14 PM »
We actually make a cable that's perfect for this: LineLink, which is a class-compliant stereo USB interface in a cable. Plug the two 1/4" connectors into your DM10's outputs and the USB jack into your computer. It'll work with virtually all audio software.

Have a great weekend!

Awesome Dan.  I never thought of 1/4 to USB.

Gonna need to get one of those.  :)

Offline ghostman

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 12:37:26 AM »

I didn't know about this, either.. sweet!  Thanks, Dan!

I looked at the product - got this in firewire, too?  Just wonderin'..
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 12:40:40 AM by ghostman »

Offline Guinness

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 02:11:39 AM »

I didn't know about this, either.. sweet!  Thanks, Dan!

I looked at the product - got this in firewire, too?  Just wonderin'..

why firewire?   16-bit at 44.1khz is pretty good.  with Firewire, you'd expect better?   Or just the convenience of firewire vs usb?

Dan... question:   USB needs to go into a USB2 port, or any USB?

Thanks.

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2010, 04:07:33 AM »
Thanks Dan I will look at this cable more closer.
Guinness, I did what you told me to do : When i set to "Main&Aux" I have no sound through headphones wit the AUX outs. When I set to "Main>Aux" I have sound but it's only mono sound, is it normal ?
Thanks.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2010, 11:34:34 AM »
Thanks Dan I will look at this cable more closer.
Guinness, I did what you told me to do : When i set to "Main&Aux" I have no sound through headphones wit the AUX outs. When I set to "Main>Aux" I have sound but it's only mono sound, is it normal ?
Thanks.

Headphones plugged into the Main or Aux jack?  Or in the headphone jack? 

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2010, 05:11:29 PM »
If I plug my headphones into one of the AUX's I have sound in only one ear.
If I plug my headphones into one of the MAIN's I have sound in only one ear too.
Is this normal ?
(In the headphone jack I have stereo sound, which is normal)

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2010, 05:29:13 PM »
If I plug my headphones into one of the AUX's I have sound in only one ear.
If I plug my headphones into one of the MAIN's I have sound in only one ear too.
Is this normal ?
(In the headphone jack I have stereo sound, which is normal)
Yes, because the AUX and MAIN have separate "Left" and "Right" outputs. The reason you only hear sound in one ear is because you are plugging a TRS (stereo) plug into a TS (mono) jack. The jacks for the AUX and MAIN are for standard 1/4" instrument cables which are TS connections. Here is what the plug should look like for the AUX and MAIN:

TS (mono) 1/4" plug

not like this (which is used for headphones)

TRS (stereo) 1/4" plug

TS = "Tip" + "Sleeve"
TRS = "Tip" + "Ring" + "Sleeve"

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 03:13:47 AM »
Oh I see okay thanks.
So there are no differences between AUX outs and MAIN outs right ?

Offline Guinness

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 02:36:20 PM »
I believe that to be correct, yes.

Offline eugenecp

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010, 02:43:42 PM »
interface/cable wise no.  feature/usage wise, yes :)
DM10 Pro Kit, Tama Iron Cobra Jr Double Bass Pedal, Tama 1st Chair HT530E5, Tascam US-122 Audio/MIDI interface

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 02:52:03 PM »
Ok thanks.
I would like to post a photo of my dm10 to show people how this beautiful kit looks like ;). How can I send a picture and in which topic ? Thanks.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2010, 05:15:31 PM »
put it in Sight and Sound as an attachment.  You can attach as many as 4 pictures per post.

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2010, 01:54:49 AM »
Okay that's what I did ;). I'll post the picture later on today .