Author Topic: DM10 Studio cymbal questions. Choke, ride zones and hats.  (Read 7826 times)

DM10 Studio cymbal questions. Choke, ride zones and hats.
« on: April 21, 2010, 03:56:26 PM »
I cannot figure out how to get my crash to choke. Right now it is plugged into the second crash slot (Perc 1), but Ive tried it in the normal Crash spot and it doesnt seem to make a difference. When I choke it, it simply retriggers an about half volume.

Ride cymbal chokes just fine, but Im wondering if there is anyway to set it up so that I can trigger different instruments on all 3 zones, or at least different sounds on the bell and bow. Manual doesnt say a thing and switching the trigger from Switch to Piezo doesnt seem to make a difference as I can still only choose one voice for all zones.

Also, given that the hihat looks very much like the crash, does that mean it has a choke strip as well, and if so, could one use it for a second chokable crash? Its a given that it would sacrifice hat dynamics using the single zone crash 2 for a hat but it might be worth it.
Merlin Coryell
www.facebook.com/merlincoryelldrums
Ludwig & Alesis Drums
Zildjian, Wuhan, & Factory Metal Cymbals
Axis and Gibraltar Hardware

Offline Guinness

Re: DM10 Studio cymbal questions. Choke, ride zones and hats.
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 04:42:54 PM »
DM10 can only (for now) choke two cymbals.  I doubt very much that your hi-hat has a choke stripe.  If it does, then it's not the hi-hat, but the cymbal.  :)

Only crash1 has choke (and the ride).    You can set it up using mute groups, and/or a cutoff sound.  Hellfire got it to work (sort of).   But that was for a 2nd crash.  You shouldn't have to work that hard for crash1.

I might have time tonight to look into it (crash1 choke) for you, as I'm at work now.

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 05:27:28 PM »
Thanks. Im not worried about adding a 3rd choke cymbal. I barely use choking as it is. But I would like to have my main crash working right!  :D

If you can let me know how to edit the trigger/voice to include a mute or whatever on the choke cymbal I will give it a shot. I didnt see anything when I was playing around with getting it to work.
Merlin Coryell
Ludwig & Alesis Drums

Offline ghostman

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 07:12:10 PM »
Thinking about my setup, I never choke my ride, but I choke both main crashes.

I have 2 PinTech chokeable crashes, and a dual zone ride (bell & bow).
Using SSD, via MIDI, they have 2 sounds for cymbals, one crash, one as a choke and the choke cancels the other crash sound.  So, it's easy to choke even from the Trigger IO.

This sounds like a limitation on the DM10 that shouldn't be there.  Like the Trigger IO Ride input only allowing piezo / switch.  Any individual input should be configurable to x y or z configuration - say dual, dual w/ choke, etc.  That was you could configure all 11 DM10 inputs to be exactly the same, if you wanted 12 crashes with choke, you could.  Of course the 100 presets would be useless then.

So, then, how do you access a crash w/ choke via MIDI?  Because then I could set up all (except one, on the DM10) my choke crashes from the IO.
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 01:30:21 AM »
I cannot figure out how to get my crash to choke. Right now it is plugged into the second crash slot (Perc 1), but Ive tried it in the normal Crash spot and it doesnt seem to make a difference. When I choke it, it simply retriggers an about half volume.

Ride cymbal chokes just fine, but Im wondering if there is anyway to set it up so that I can trigger different instruments on all 3 zones, or at least different sounds on the bell and bow. Manual doesnt say a thing and switching the trigger from Switch to Piezo doesnt seem to make a difference as I can still only choose one voice for all zones.

Also, given that the hihat looks very much like the crash, does that mean it has a choke strip as well, and if so, could one use it for a second chokable crash? Its a given that it would sacrifice hat dynamics using the single zone crash 2 for a hat but it might be worth it.

Was just about to ask a question regarding the studio cymbals and saw this topic  :) . I had originally thought the hi hat was the second crash since they both look identical and both have a choke strip (well, at least the padding for where the choke strip would be). The choke on the actual crash works perfectly, but the identical looking hi hat did not choke at all when I swapped the cables.

Question for you though Merlin, was your second crash real flimsy looking compared to the other cymbals? Specifically, much thinner padding and the acoustics of hitting a sheet of plywood wrapped in thin carpet? Just wondering, cause that is what I received for my second crash.

If you can let me know how to edit the trigger/voice to include a mute or whatever on the choke cymbal I will give it a shot. I didnt see anything when I was playing around with getting it to work.

My crash choke worked with factory settings, although I do have to pinch it a bit harder than the ride choke to get it to trigger. Have you double checked to make sure that you are using one of the 2 zone cables and not the 1 zone cables on the crash? If it is only detecting a lighter strike when you go to choke that could be it.

Offline H3RB

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 09:37:00 AM »
on my studio kit the crash 1 and ride choke perfect had no issues with self chocking either. also the second crash is really thin yeah but its no big deal really.

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 06:15:44 PM »
Going to try resetting without the cables so see if that works. All the cables with the studio are TRS (dual zone) so the cable shouldnt be the issue. I will try the reset to see if this fixes it.

Second crash is smaller/thinner, but doesnt make any weird noise when struck.
Merlin Coryell
Ludwig & Alesis Drums

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 06:40:08 AM »
I confirm... The hi-hat has a strip under it, just like the ride and crash1...
Do you know why there is one ?

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 12:50:08 PM »
I confirm... The hi-hat has a strip under it, just like the ride and crash1...
Do you know why there is one ?
That's interesting. I wound if Alesis is working on a two zone hi-hat for the DM10.

On a side note, Pearl looked as if they have a dual zone hi-hat trigger for their ePro even though they said it is a single zone. How do I know this? Well, I'm not 100% sure but look at this picture of the hi-hat trigger and tell me why you think Pearl has the extra rubber looking lip under the leading edge of their hi-hat trigger:

If Pearl can make it happen, why not Alesis? Just a thought.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 12:53:40 PM by Hellfire »

Offline Guinness

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 01:26:31 PM »
very interesting!   If that's true with pearl, then some sort of os update could be coming for the DM10 to allow for dual zone hi-hat.  Kewl!

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 02:59:10 PM »
How could this be a dual zone if the strip is situated under ? :s

Offline ghostman

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 07:31:05 PM »
So, back to the original thought on this thread, I've set up all my drums and cymbals on the DM10.  My ride is a 2-zone ride (piezo for bow, switch for bell), and I found the setting to set it that way (2 zone vs. 3 zone).  So, someone who has the 3 zone ride, can you tell me what the 2 cables / 4 inputs are doing?
something like (and I was playing with the inputs, I think this is how it is set up, but I cannot verify until at least Saturday)

Ride1 tip = bow
Ride1 ring = bow crash
Ride2/Perc1 tip = bell
Ride2/Perc1 ring = choke

Basically, I am wondering if the choke is activated on the ride1 input or on the Ride2/perc1 input.

If it is on the Ride2/perc1 input, might it be possible to plug in another crash into perc1 instead of the second ride cable, and get crash #2 to choke?
Alesis DM10 & Trigger IO, 5 8" single input DIY shells; 2 18" DIY Bass drums, 1 13" DIY eSnare, PinTech 14" Visulaite Hi-Hats, 2 PinTech 14" choke-able crashes & 18" dual-zone ride; Steven Slate Drums EX.  Mounted on Superstrut custom rack.

Offline Guinness

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 08:03:00 PM »
I'm not positive, but I think perc2 is for the choke and bow crash.   Swap it out and test it.  :)

i've lived without the 2nd crash choke and am now used to it.   Although, I like the idea of not having the ride choke, as I NEVER choke my ride.  That'll make you go blind. LOL

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 10:12:36 PM »
Just checked on mine, and ride 1 controls the bow and the bell, ride 2 controls the edge and the choke. Funny thing is if you take out the ride 2 cable and only have ride 1 plugged in, only the bell will sound(unable to choke though). With only ride 2 plugged in only the edge and choke will work. It's only when you plug both cables in that you get the bow to trigger. Hope that helps.

Edit: Keep in mind I didnt change the 3 zone setting on the controller, so whether you get the bow sound to trigger with only one cable plugged in and it set to 2 zone I dont know.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 10:15:28 PM by Quize »

Offline Guinness

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 11:57:40 PM »
I just messed with mine a bit.  With ride2 out, and crash2 into ride2, I can choke the crash.  I get bow crash (edge) and choke, on crash two.  And with ride1 only, I get bow and bell.   BUT...  when I change from 3 zone to 2 zone, I lose the bell, and only get bow; and crash2 was messed up.  I changed it back.  I didn't have too might time to toy with it.

Offline ghostman

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2010, 01:28:27 PM »
I just messed with mine a bit.  With ride2 out, and crash2 into ride2, I can choke the crash.  I get bow crash (edge) and choke, on crash two.  And with ride1 only, I get bow and bell.   BUT...  when I change from 3 zone to 2 zone, I lose the bell, and only get bow; and crash2 was messed up.  I changed it back.  I didn't have too might time to toy with it.

THAT is interesting..  and very doable for me.. now, I am wondering if I can change the crash sound from the ride crash to any other crash - I am assuming the crash plugged into Ride2 produced the ride crash sound.. 

Thanks HF.. I mean Guinness!!!!  ;D  ;)

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2010, 03:34:12 AM »
I'm not positive, but I think perc2 is for the choke and bow crash.   Swap it out and test it.  :)

i've lived without the 2nd crash choke and am now used to it.   Although, I like the idea of not having the ride choke, as I NEVER choke my ride.  That'll make you go blind. LOL

LOL  8)