Author Topic: DM 10 module problems  (Read 9066 times)

DM 10 module problems
« on: April 14, 2010, 07:12:00 AM »
Hi everyone! I finally bought a dm 10 pro kit and i´m glad with it... but there are 3 main problems I have just after a short time:

1. sometimes when i play the kick and ride at the same time, the kick "kills" the ride - so I can not hear the ride!! and on the display there is no signal by the ride!

2. the module doesn`t allow me to store anything!!! For example I tried to copy a kit to another place: in the brochure it says press "drum kit", then "store" this will open an new page for selection... my module says: "write protected"!!!! It´s horrible cause so I have to set up everything from the very beginning everytime I play!!!

3. my ride is strange: even when I play directly over the trigger I very often get a "bell" sound instead of the "bow" sound. Furthermore I have no "edge" sound at all although its supposed to be a three-zone ride!!!!

PLEASE, PLEASE HELP ME!!!!  :'(
getting into e drumming - very fascinating

Offline ungoliant

Re: DM 10 module problems
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2010, 08:20:31 AM »
Hi docdrum,

See page 2 of your instruction manual to deactivate write protection, it will resolve your store protection problem.

For the bell & edge sounds, you have to test different trigger settings for the ride cymbal (Xtalk receive & Xtalk send as well as threshold). Be sure you have connected correctly the 2 jacks behind the module & under the cymbal and that the mode "3 zone" is set in the "trigger menu" (see page 26).
Anyway, you need to hit the ride pretty hard (often with the shoulder of the stick) above the strip zone to make it crash.
Let us know if it helps   :)

Offline Hellfire

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2010, 09:07:29 AM »
I'll echo pretty much what ungoliant stated. I would also like to say, Welcome to the forum! We will do our best to help you out.

Xtalk can sometime cause the issues you are having so, be sure to play around with those settings. Also, like ungoliant stated, double check you ride cables. You might also want to make sure you got the correct type of ride cymbal. There should be a choke strip under it. I only state this because there has been at least one report of someone getting the wrong cymbal in their kit. I hope that helps.

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2010, 09:34:45 AM »
Thanks ungoliant and hellfire!!! Very friendly! And very helpful! I very appreciate!
I guess I´m probably the first one in Austria who has the kit =)

2 is solved (embarrasing that i didnt see it on page 2 !!!!!)
I´m working on 3 - i updated my module and now i will screw a little bit on it; and thanks - yes my cables are checked (thats what i first did!!) and I have a three zone cymbal ;) Thanks hellfire, you are right, very often the easiest things are the causing factors!

any further ideas to 1

greetings

PS: this is a cool forum!

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2010, 10:11:20 AM »
Hi docdrum, hopefully I can help out with your ride cymbal concerns. The symptoms you're describing could mean that you have the cables on the ride plugged into the wrong jacks. Do you always get a Bell sound when hitting the Bow?
Also, make sure your Bell is set to Piezo if you're using the Surge Cymbals.

For problem #1, it does sound like a cross talk issue. Try turning down the Xtalk Snd parameter for Kick1. Are you playing the Bow or the Bell (or does it not matter) when you're getting this cancellation?

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 11:42:29 AM »
no, the cables are in the right jacks! I tried that already...
Now I spent 1 hour in setting the triggers and its much better now - at least with the bell/bow problem and the kick killing problem ... but still I cant get a third sound (edge) sound... the funny thing is, when I knock with my finger on the bright strip on the bottom which is normally used for the choke effect I get a wonderful strong sound - supposingly the edge sound =)

thanks for all your help!!

Offline eugenecp

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 12:03:42 AM »
that's not the edge sound, that's supposed to be the crash sound.  to trigger the crash, hit the ride cymbal with the shaft really hard :).
DM10 Pro Kit, Tama Iron Cobra Jr Double Bass Pedal, Tama 1st Chair HT530E5, Tascam US-122 Audio/MIDI interface

Offline Guinness

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2010, 10:15:16 AM »
no, the cables are in the right jacks! I tried that already...
Now I spent 1 hour in setting the triggers and its much better now - at least with the bell/bow problem and the kick killing problem ... but still I cant get a third sound (edge) sound... the funny thing is, when I knock with my finger on the bright strip on the bottom which is normally used for the choke effect I get a wonderful strong sound - supposingly the edge sound =)

thanks for all your help!!

Sounds like the choke stripe and edge are reversed somehow??  When touching your "finger on the bright strip on the bottom", it should mute the cymbal.

To trigger my "crash" on the ride, I strike the opposite side of the ride (opposite of the piezo), on the edge with the shoulder of the stick, pretty hard.

Offline eugenecp

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2010, 02:54:09 PM »
you might want to checkout the smartrigger user's guide to check out how it should work.  look for the section on triple-zone ride

http://smartrigger.com/downloads/SmartriggerUsersGuide.pdf
DM10 Pro Kit, Tama Iron Cobra Jr Double Bass Pedal, Tama 1st Chair HT530E5, Tascam US-122 Audio/MIDI interface

Offline Burtmeister

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2010, 06:03:11 PM »
On point number 3 I was having a similar problem. I double checked my cables and they were correct, but I found a note on the kit layout chart that shows all the parts.  It reads as follows:

"Before using the ride cymbal, adjust the DM10 module's EXT. TRIG settings to set the ride cymbal bell to "SWITCH" (instead of "PIEZO")".

This fixed it for me. Hitting the very edge hard produced the crash, hitting midway up the cymbal produced the ride, and hitting the bell produced the bell sound.

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 03:57:37 PM »
Hey guys
I'm expasperated =/
After 2 months waiting since I bought my dm10, it finally arrived today.
But firstly, I have one wrong cymbal (one without choking strips, and it's not the hi-hat).
Secondly, my second crash can't choke ! It has the strip but no way to choke it ! Only my ride is chokable.. Please help me !

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 04:25:33 PM »
Hey guys
I'm expasperated =/
After 2 months waiting since I bought my dm10, it finally arrived today.
But firstly, I have one wrong cymbal (one without choking strips, and it's not the hi-hat).
Secondly, my second crash can't choke ! It has the strip but no way to choke it ! Only my ride is chokable.. Please help me !

I am having the same issue. My crash wont choke, but ride will.

Also FYI, you did not get the wrong cymbal. If you got the studio kit, that comes with 2 crashes (black) then only one is supposed to be setup for choke, not both.
Merlin Coryell
www.facebook.com/merlincoryelldrums
Ludwig & Alesis Drums
Zildjian, Wuhan, & Factory Metal Cymbals
Axis and Gibraltar Hardware

Offline Guinness

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 04:39:21 PM »
Correct.  The DM10 can only choke two cymbals... the Ride and Crash1.  Hopefully, a future firmware fix will allow choke for other cymbals also (I have a 2nd chokable crash).

As for crash1 not being able to choke, confirm the correct cymbal is in place, and then on the module, confirm that crash1 is set up to choke.  I think there's a setting.... I don't actually remember. 

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 05:07:16 PM »
Oh you're right for only one chokable.. Thanks =]
I will search for the settings concerning choking the crash.
Thanks a lot and good night !

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2010, 03:21:43 PM »
Yeah it finally works I unplugged all the cables and plugged them again that's great !